What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old DLSR into ipad air 2. Help.

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

trying to hook up a 2002 Olympus dslr.. need help! Ok it uses a data card called a SmartMedia card. Now, I've done my best with its old cable, then bought a usb adaptor lead female usb to lightning. Not alot of joy. All I get, after a long wait, on the ipad is:

"This accesory is not supported by this ipad" pop up box.

I am desperate to try anything I can to get this working. Can anyone lend any help?

thx, schwanger.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

trying to hook up a 2002 Olympus dslr.. need help! Ok it uses a data card called a SmartMedia card. Now, I've done my best with its old cable, then bought a usb adaptor lead female usb to lightning. Not alot of joy. All I get, after a long wait, on the ipad is:

"This accesory is not supported by this ipad" pop up box.

I am desperate to try anything I can to get this working. Can anyone lend any help?

thx, schwanger.
Hello Schwanger - welcome to the forum! :) Not sure that I can help much but always interested in memory cards & transfers, if possible? My first experience w/ these cards on a DC was the SD (Secure Digital) card, still in use; below is a quote that the SmartMedia card is a defunct technology. The iPad seems to be a dead end for your purposes - thus, in the past when you used this Olympus camera/card, how did you get the images off the card onto another device, such as a computer? My first two options are to: 1) Use the same method; and 2) Find a card reader that accepts a SmartMedia card (assume that it can be removed from the old camera?) and can transfer your images to another storage area; then from there you might be able to upload and/or Wi-Fi the images to your iPad. Dave

SmartMedia is a flash memory card standard owned by Toshiba, with capacities ranging from 2 MB to 128 MB. The format mostly saw application in the early 2000s in digital cameras and audio production. SmartMedia memory cards are no longer manufactured. (Source)

OP
S
Reaction score
@giradman thanks for reply. Yes of course I should've said how I did before the ipad: simply onto a toshiba laptop (a cable from cam port into it, ie the same cable Im trying now, bar the usb to lightning adaptor addition ive just bought.. to get me into the ipad).. but you see it recently died, total kaput pC.

Ive seen these reader things, ie take card out, slot it in, & then it I guess in theory could have a lightning end.. should I find one. but if the ipad gives me this mssg.. does that mean this reader idea is a dead end plan too?

I really was hoping an apple Co someone might be able to say the idea is a yay or a nay.. or someone hugely clued up on cam types into ipads.
thanks, schwang doodle D.

OP
S
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to contact apple themselves? Do any of their folks frequent this site? I was rather hoping someone from their Co might.

Really I just need to ask if either SmartMedia cards or Compact Flash cards, can be read by the ipad.

Thanks, schwangster

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

We’re a community discussing features and trying to help with problems with the iPad. We are not affiliated with Apple. We don’t know whether or not one of our members is connected to Apple.

Here’s how to contact Apple Support:
Either use this link to connect to Apple:

Or make a phone call:

Hope that helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

We’re a community discussing features and trying to help with problems with the iPad. We are not affiliated with Apple. We don’t know whether or not one of our members is connected to Apple.

Here’s how to contact Apple Support:
Either use this link to connect to Apple:

Or make a phone call:

Hope that helps.

Hi J.A. Thanks for your help. I tried the customer support, got through to a chat session but each time it ended abruptly, very annoying, & the folks had such bad English, it gave me little confidence they'd be able to answer anyway.

I think ive exhausted all options. I just do not know how this is possible.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad.

I’ve used a third party SD card adapter with my iPad some time ago. With one of the previous updates it stopped working, it wasn’t supported by the iPad any more. Is the adapter from Apple?
There are adapters that might help connecting with your camera directly:

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi J.A. Appreciate the link/ reply. Someone else kindly pointed me to that page.. but alas I can't see anything re. SmartMedia card, or, should I buy a used one for a fiver on ebay.. a 'CF' card either: my cam had these two possibles you see.

All I see on these apple pages is reference to 'SD' cards.. so it seems like Im finally out if luck. I could try a CF card reader into lightning, which exist, but chancing ÂŁ20 doesn't make much sense if I dont see these two letters CF mentioned on any apple pages.

There really should be competant people at apple I could simply email& ask.. but seems not possible. Thanks schwangster.

Most reactions

Latest posts