What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteevee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.filmandmediaent.com
How do you know which ipad2 you have? After reading the moderator's instructions I think I'm good to go. He wrote:

"Pad1,1 – 2,1 – 2,2 – 2,3 – 3,1 – 3,2 – 3,3" can jailbreak. I looked under settings and general info. Can't tell. Help!!! I want to jailbreak NOW! :)

kakikukeko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can i jb my ipad2 wifi ios 5.1.1? Tried redsnow. Kept getting the error 2000. Tried editting hosts file. Still no success.

HLP, someone??

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kakikukeko said:
How can i jb my ipad2 wifi ios 5.1.1? Tried redsnow. Kept getting the error 2000. Tried editting hosts file. Still no success.

HLP, someone??
Read the first post of this thread my friend, it explains all

longbuxu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry if this is an answered questions. I'm new to jailbreaking world and did search everywhere in this forum but can't find an answer or easy-to-understand advice (to my level of experience)
I got iPad3 iOS5.1 unjailbroken, and want to understand things before jump in.
1.As I understand, what to do beforehand is to save SHSH blobs and APticket --> use iFaith 1.4 to save blobs for iOS5.1. CHECKED.
can't use TinyUmbrella, redsn0w since it's a stock firmware and Apple is not signing for 5.1 any longer.
With this blobs 5.1, I can:
+ restore to iOS5.1 locally and manually with "stiched 5.1_restore.ipsw"'
+ downgrade from iOS5.1.1 or even iOS6 back to iOS5.1.
+ what else ...?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
2. Apple will release iOS6 on Monday->will take months to get it jailbroken.
My question is: Under the time of iOS6, How can I upgrade from 5.1 halfway to iOS5.1.1 only? not up to iOS6... to take advantage of 5.1.1 jailbreak, wait for iOS6 jailbreak. Is that possible since I got only blobs + APticket for 5.1, not 5.1.1?

People tell me to upgrade 5.1.1 and get blob 5.1.1 now. I understand that. But the main point is Learning.
Please advise me. Thank you, everyone!
LBX.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry if this is an answered questions. I'm new to jailbreaking world and did search everywhere in this forum but can't find an answer or easy-to-understand advice (to my level of experience)
I got iPad3 iOS5.1 unjailbroken, and want to understand things before jump in.
1.As I understand, what to do beforehand is to save SHSH blobs and APticket --> use iFaith 1.4 to save blobs for iOS5.1. CHECKED.
can't use TinyUmbrella, redsn0w since it's a stock firmware and Apple is not signing for 5.1 any longer.
With this blobs 5.1, I can:
+ restore to iOS5.1 locally and manually with "stiched 5.1_restore.ipsw"'
+ downgrade from iOS5.1.1 or even iOS6 back to iOS5.1.
+ what else ...?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The iPad can only be jail broken on iOS 5.1.1 - ONLY. And, iFaith only works on the iPad1. So, you can't do anything about stitching blobs. All you can do is use Absinthe to jail break on iOS 5.1.1.

You can, however, use Tiny Umbrella to save the SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1. In fact, if you're thinking of jail breaking at any time in the future, you should always be saving blobs. This is a separate process from jail breaking and anyone can save blobs; you don't have to be on that iOS version. They have to be saved while Apple has the signing "window" open. Right now, that's iOS 5.1.1.

Now, you may have blobs saved for iOS 5.1 saved, but as of today, they do you no good with an iPad3. Again, the only firmware that is jail breakable on the iPad3 is 5.1.1 - blobs for 5.1 are useless to you.

2.. Apple will release iOS6 on Monday->will take months to get it jailbroken.
My question is: Under the time of iOS6, How can I upgrade from 5.1 halfway to iOS5.1.1 only? not up to iOS6... to take advantage of 5.1.1 jailbreak, wait for iOS6 jailbreak. Is that possible since I got only blobs + APticket for 5.1, not 5.1.1?

People tell me to upgrade 5.1.1 and get blob 5.1.1 now. I understand that. But the main point is Learning.
Please advise me. Thank you, everyone!
LBX.

Just a caveat - Apple will ANNOUNCE iOS 6 on Monday. With their actions in the past, we expect it'll be months before iOS 6 is actually "on the street" for people to install on their iDevices. For the foreseeable future, iOS 5.1.1 will be the current and Apple-authorized firmware.

The only thing you can (and should) do if you want to be jail broken while waiting for iOS 6 is to upgrade your iPad3 to iOS 5.1.1 and jail break it using Absinthe 2.0.4. As of right now, there's is no method (or need) to downgrade the iPad3 to iOS 5.1 and there is no way, yet, to downgrade from iOS 6 to 5.1.1.

We do not know what the future holds. As of today, the window is still open and people can install iOS 5.1.1. However, Once iOS 6 has been released, it will be a matter of time before the window for iOS 5.1.1 closes and, if you are not running that version before that window closes, you may never be able to get it installed on your iPad, blobs or no blobs.

The take-away: It will be months before iOS 6 is released. It will be many months after that before a jail break is found and released (if ever). If you want a jail broken iPad3, upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 now and jail break it using Absinthe.

That help some?

Marilyn

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a iPad2 not jb with 5.0.1. I held off upgrading iOS due to non jb capability until recently. I had saved the blobs months ago using tinyumbrella. I am wndering if I should upgrade the iPad to 5.1.1 while I can before iOS is in the stream and 5.1.1 is no longer available.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have a iPad2 not jb with 5.0.1. I held off upgrading iOS due to non jb capability until recently. I had saved the blobs months ago using tinyumbrella. I am wndering if I should upgrade the iPad to 5.1.1 while I can before iOS is in the stream and 5.1.1 is no longer available.

Yes, you really should! 5.1.1 is stable and jailbreakable. Don't miss your chance. There is no guarantee blobs will help once the next version of ios is released.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
snowbound said:

There is no reason that I know of to not upgrade your iPad to 5.1.1 right now. OTA is simple if available to you. It's solid and it works.

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just do an in place upgrade rather tah doing a backup and restore to factory which would get 5.1.1 the restore the apps?

longbuxu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad can only be jail broken on iOS 5.1.1 - ONLY. And, iFaith only works on the iPad1. So, you can't do anything about stitching blobs. All you can do is use Absinthe to jail break on iOS 5.1.1.

You can, however, use Tiny Umbrella to save the SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1. In fact, if you're thinking of jail breaking at any time in the future, you should always be saving blobs. This is a separate process from jail breaking and anyone can save blobs; you don't have to be on that iOS version. They have to be saved while Apple has the signing "window" open. Right now, that's iOS 5.1.1.

Now, you may have blobs saved for iOS 5.1 saved, but as of today, they do you no good with an iPad3. Again, the only firmware that is jail breakable on the iPad3 is 5.1.1 - blobs for 5.1 are useless to you.

Just a caveat - Apple will ANNOUNCE iOS 6 on Monday. With their actions in the past, we expect it'll be months before iOS 6 is actually "on the street" for people to install on their iDevices. For the foreseeable future, iOS 5.1.1 will be the current and Apple-authorized firmware.

The only thing you can (and should) do if you want to be jail broken while waiting for iOS 6 is to upgrade your iPad3 to iOS 5.1.1 and jail break it using Absinthe 2.0.4. As of right now, there's is no method (or need) to downgrade the iPad3 to iOS 5.1 and there is no way, yet, to downgrade from iOS 6 to 5.1.1.

We do not know what the future holds. As of today, the window is still open and people can install iOS 5.1.1. However, Once iOS 6 has been released, it will be a matter of time before the window for iOS 5.1.1 closes and, if you are not running that version before that window closes, you may never be able to get it installed on your iPad, blobs or no blobs.

The take-away: It will be months before iOS 6 is released. It will be many months after that before a jail break is found and released (if ever). If you want a jail broken iPad3, upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 now and jail break it using Absinthe.

That help some?

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilyn. That helps a lot.
FYI
I used TinyUmbrella to backup blobs and got xxx_ipad3,1-5.1.1.shsh for my iPad3 32GB WIFI non-jailbreak. Here's the log:
"APPLE is NOT signing iPad31WIFI 5.1 (9B176) SHSH requests anymore. All
you can do now is select CYDIA and hope that CYDIA has your SHSH saved. If not, there is nothing
you can do.
iPad31WIFI 5.1.1 (9B176) SHSH SUCCESSFULLY ... saved! (Click Here to Open)
Finished saving SHSHs for [Smith'siPad]
Caching shsh files ...
Found [1] shsh files to cache ...
Cached [1] shsh files
xxxxxxxxxx-ipad3,1-5.1.1.shsh has been opened in Explorer"

iFaith won't run on A5, A5X, as of today.
I believe that redsn0w can't use for non-jailbreak.

I borrowed an jbk iPhone4S 5.1.1, checked Cydia, it says SHSH: 5.0.1,5.0.1r,5.1.1.
I told him to back up blobs and tell me what he would get. As I understand, he will get SHSH blobs for 5.0.1,5.0.1r and 5.1.1 from Cydia server, but if using Apple server, he will get only blob for 5.1.1.

LBX.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts