What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes but that is for unjailbroken devices. please dont be rude i know u can read. you can never use the erase all content and settings on a jb device. period

askb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to jb, but after that sbsettings gives a http 500 internal server error. Any ideas friends. Btw mine is a iPad2,1. Cheers.

c_strong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to jb, but after that sbsettings gives a http 500 internal server error. Any ideas friends. Btw mine is a iPad2,1. Cheers.

in which application did you encounter this ? is this in cydia ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

This is going to happen. The Cydia servers are being hammered and you will have trouble downloading stuff. Hang in there and keep trying and, most importantly, have patience. Again, everyone is trying to download their favorite tweaks ... the servers are having a tough time handling the load.

Marilyn

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
P.S. I don't know about the reasons to upgrade. I hear that 5.1.1 is supposed to be better for battery life, but that's all. In addition, I just like to be as up-to-date with my iOS as the jail break tools will let me. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

You can delete photos from photostream finally (well that's 5.1 but I skipped that due to lack of jailbreak)

SimoneLouise28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question - my iPad is 2,4 since there's so much conflicting advice/info does the new jailbreak work on this? Also I am already IOS 5.1.1?? I am goin to jb soon but making sure I have all info correct :) thank you for help in advance.

c_strong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question - my iPad is 2,4 since there's so much conflicting advice/info does the new jailbreak work on this? Also I am already IOS 5.1.1?? I am goin to jb soon but making sure I have all info correct :) thank you for help in advance.

As per greenpoison site it doesn't support it yet :

(Support for iPad2,4 will be added at a later date)

askb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
c_strong said:
in which application did you encounter this ? is this in cydia ?

Hi now it went thru I guess it was a load issue on the server.cydia.

johnnynunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ppl i have a problem... Just jb my 2,1 ipad and all whent well but when i click on cydia it closes itself instantly... Any ideas?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ppl i have a problem... Just jb my 2,1 ipad and all whent well but when i click on cydia it closes itself instantly... Any ideas?

The first time you open Cydia, it is supposed prepare the file system and then close automatically. Are you saying that it's not even doing that?

If so, try to restart or reset your iPad and try to open Cydia again. As this jailbreak is so new, a LOT of people are trying to get to Cydia to get their favorite tweaks and such. The servers are overloaded and sometimes you may have to keep trying before your iPad can connect. Hang in there ... it will slow down! :)

Marilyn

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So am I screwed now? I was jailbroken!! WHY then is it posted in the jailbreak read me file to do a FULL Erase? I tell this is becoming a bunch of crap! I'm regretting buying the ipad! It's such a PITA!!
Mike I responded to you yesterday specifically and told you not to do Erase if you're jail broken. Please read more slowly and carefully. I've reposted that same message about 30 times in these threads over the last two days. But I agree the moderators should update the ReadMe post. It's a terrible error that will cause lots of problems if people use Erase All Contents on a jail broken device.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes but that is for unjailbroken devices. please dont be rude i know u can read. you can never use the erase all content and settings on a jb device. period

But the opening ReadMe doesn't distinguish between JBed and not. That's the point. I've asked them to rewrite it for two days but no response.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mike I responded to you yesterday specifically and told you not to do Erase if you're jail broken. Please read more slowly and carefully. I've reposted that same message about 30 times in these threads over the last two days. But I agree the moderators should update the ReadMe post. It's a terrible error that will cause lots of problems if people use Erase All Contents on a jail broken device.

My apologies pianoman...I guess I just decided to follow the OFFICIAL directions since some were saying to erase & some said don't. It was just way too confusing this time around. Funny but it was EASIER when I FIRST JB'd my ipad.

It took me about 4 times to get it right because of a few issues that I'm not sure where the fault was. I couldn't get AptBackup to restore properly (I rfead this app is finicky!)...I ended up having to flash the firmware, RESTORE BACKUP NEXT with iTunes (against the norm), THEN run Abstinthe, THEN run cydia & restore my tweaks/apps manually. It was the ONLY WAY I could keep Cydia [Moderator edit: Removed reference to piracy tweak. Please read our rules and don't be a pirate! Thanks.] from disappearing...and I STILL don't know why they were disappearing?

Thanks Again!

Last edited by a moderator:

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's the best way (in my experience):

1) Connect iPad to iTunes and select (a) Transfer Purchases, then (b) Backup

2) Put your iPad into DFU Mode and then do a shift/restore to iOS 5.1.1 (follow the tips in this link: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html)

3) Restore the iPad from new, NOT from the backup you made in step 1b

4) Jailbreak the iPad (make sure you wait until it's done)

5) Open Cydia to install your packages (it will close after it's done)

6) Connect your iPad to iTunes and "restore from backup" (this will not mess with the jail break or the iOS - it'll just put back all your settings, contacts, apps, etc.). But, be sure to select the backup YOU made, as sometimes, iTunes creates a backup during the restore process. When I did this step, I got everything back on the iPad ... and it looked just like it did before I started

7) Go to Cydia and start re-downloading all your tweaks. Just remember that the servers are hammered and if you are tyring to restore using a backup package, it'll probably keep erroring out. Just have patience.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Thanks for this post Marilyn. It helped me out nicely.

Cheers, Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts