What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cydia is saying downloading packages for about 10min now...how long does that take normally? Will my sources be downloaded too from Cydia?
Eventually but the Cydia server is getting creamed today. You may not get them all for 12-24 more hours. Typical for Day 1 of a new Jailbreak.
I did the Erase all Content and Settings and left to go have breakfast. When I got back, ~45 min, nothing had changed. Everything is still in place. All my apps....I should have had a sweet clean iPad ready for the jailbreakin. I don't understand. Ideas anybody?

Cheers, Dan
Yes it's normal. It can take up to 6 hours and may not work at all. If you were jailbroken on your iPad before you hit it today it will never work. Best thing is to do a full iTunes restore from DFU mode and then jailbreak.

johnnynunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it closed after you went to it the first time, that's by design. It has to load all the sources and such.

Have you tried to go back into Cydia and sign in? You may also have to go to the Changes tab and select the Refresh button to get all the sources to finish loading.

Marilyn

When i click on the cydia icon, it tryis to enter but closes immidiatly... Tryied for several times...

BennyDanny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I've a couple of questions... I've got an iPad 2 16gb wifi running of ios 5.0.1 jail broken with a few tweaks installed.
What am I supposed to do first? Do an iTunes backup, update the firmware, jailbreak and then restore the backup? Or update first, do the backup, jailbreak and then restore? I'm asking this because I've got tweaks installed and have a few applications that I don't want to lose the settings. Please help me with this info if you don't mind.
Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I've a couple of questions... I've got an iPad 2 16gb wifi running of ios 5.0.1 jail broken with a few tweaks installed.
What am I supposed to do first? Do an iTunes backup, update the firmware, jailbreak and then restore the backup? Or update first, do the backup, jailbreak and then restore? I'm asking this because I've got tweaks installed and have a few applications that I don't want to lose the settings. Please help me with this info if you don't mind.
Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Here's the best way (in my experience):

1) Connect iPad to iTunes and select (a) Transfer Purchases, then (b) Backup

2) Put your iPad into DFU Mode and then do a shift/restore to iOS 5.1.1 (follow the tips in this link: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html)

3) Restore the iPad from new, NOT from the backup you made in step 1b

4) Jailbreak the iPad (make sure you wait until it's done)

5) Open Cydia to install your packages (it will close after it's done)

6) Connect your iPad to iTunes and "restore from backup" (this will not mess with the jail break or the iOS - it'll just put back all your settings, contacts, apps, etc.). But, be sure to select the backup YOU made, as sometimes, iTunes creates a backup during the restore process. When I did this step, I got everything back on the iPad ... and it looked just like it did before I started

7) Go to Cydia and start re-downloading all your tweaks. Just remember that the servers are hammered and if you are tyring to restore using a backup package, it'll probably keep erroring out. Just have patience.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

BennyDanny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, for your help... One more question... I have a few documents (PDF and word). Will they be backuped aswell?
Thanks in advance!

omiez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absinthe was updated to 2.0.1 that solves some problems causing JB to fail.

I was unable to JB with 2.0 and now with the new version all ok.

Sent from my iPad 64Gb JB 5.0.1 using iPF

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did the Erase all Content and Settings and left to go have breakfast. When I got back, ~45 min, nothing had changed. Everything is still in place. All my apps....I should have had a sweet clean iPad ready for the jailbreakin. I don't understand. Ideas anybody?

Cheers, Dan

I did the erase feature about 2 hours ago & it is STILL working!!! I'll tell you Android is SOOOOO much easier wit this stuff!

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikespe said:
I did the erase feature about 2 hours ago & it is STILL working!!! I'll tell you Android is SOOOOO much easier wit this stuff!

when u did the erase all content and settings, where u jailbroken? because if u were, it will cause a boot loop and force a DFU restore. you can never ever do 'erase all content and settings' on a jailbroken device

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
when u did the erase all content and settings, where u jailbroken? because if u were, it will cause a boot loop and force a DFU restore. you can never ever do 'erase all content and settings' on a jailbroken device

So am I screwed now? I was jailbroken!! WHY then is it posted in the jailbreak read me file to do a FULL Erase? I tell this is becoming a bunch of crap! I'm regretting buying the ipad! It's such a PITA!!

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikespe said:
So am I screwed now? I was jailbroken!!

Go into DFU Mode and restore in iTunes. just never and i mean never do that on a jailbroken device

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go into DFU Mode and restore in iTunes. just never and i mean never do that on a jailbroken device

Thanks for the advice...

But here is the directions from the Read Me File:

1. Make a backup of your device iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the 'Devices' menu and click 'Back Up'.
2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
3. Open Absinthe and be sure your are still connected via USB cable to your computer.
4. Click 'Jailbreak' and wait... just be patient and do not disconnect your device!
5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. To do so, right click on your device name under the 'Devices' menu in the left panel of iTunes and click 'Restore From Backup...' then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device, i.e. apps, photos, etc.)
6. Thanks for using Absinthe, enjoy your jailbroken iDevice!

c_strong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice...

But here is the directions from the Read Me File:

Source : http://greenpois0n.com/
How To Use Absinthe 2.0 (if you're unjailbroken):

1. Make a backup of your device in iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu and click ‘Back Up’.
2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings – General – Reset – Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
3. Open Absinthe and be sure you are still connected via USB cable to your computer.
4. Click ‘Jailbreak’ and wait…. just be patient and do not disconnect your device.
5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ‘Restore from Back Up…’ then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device ie, apps, photos, etc.)

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Source : Absinthe 2.0 has arrived! | greenpois0n.com
How To Use Absinthe 2.0 (if you're unjailbroken):

1. Make a backup of your device in iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu and click ‘Back Up’.
2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings – General – Reset – Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
3. Open Absinthe and be sure you are still connected via USB cable to your computer.
4. Click ‘Jailbreak’ and wait…. just be patient and do not disconnect your device.
5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ‘Restore from Back Up…’ then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device ie, apps, photos, etc.)

I know how to read buddy...and HERE is the read me file that came with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does NOT say that!!!

Capture.JPG

c_strong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it also doesn't say you have to do it on jailbroken device, its a step to JB a device, u have to do it unjailbroken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts