What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long should we (or could we) wait to upgrade a 5.0.1 JB iPad2/iPhone4 and jailbreak? Seems like things might go smoother if there aren't a billion folks trying to do the same thing at the same time.

For that matter, is there really any compelling reason to upgrade and rejailbreak at all?

Thanks,

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How long should we (or could we) wait to upgrade a 5.0.1 JB iPad2/iPhone4 and jailbreak? Seems like things might go smoother if there aren't a billion folks trying to do the same thing at the same time.

For that matter, is there really any compelling reason to upgrade and rejailbreak at all?

Thanks,

Personally, I'm waiting to upgrade/re-jailbreak my iPhone 4S. However, I have run Absinthe 2.0 on my iPad3 (and it's now jailbroken!) with zero troubles. Still having a bit of a hash trying to get my favorite tweaks from Cydia - but that's to be expected. The poor servers! :D

I figure I'll wait until next week or so to get the phone done...

Marilyn

P.S. I don't know about the reasons to upgrade. I hear that 5.1.1 is supposed to be better for battery life, but that's all. In addition, I just like to be as up-to-date with my iOS as the jail break tools will let me. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

vividenigma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
. I hear that 5.1.1 is supposed to be better for battery life
I have been running my IPad 2 constantly for over 6 hours and I still got 63% battery left on 5.1.1 huge diffrence

woodbane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with. Current iPad 1 owner but I just ordered my refurbished 16gb wifi iPad 2 from the Apple store yesterday. I had resigned myself to losing my jailbreak due being a bit out of the loop as my iPad 1 has just been rocking along with 4.3.5 quite nicely.

I was very excited to see the release of Absinthe 2 today but then got to wondering/worrying: Do you think my refurbished iPad 2 will be the R2 version that is not able to be jailbroken or is it likely to be the original version?

If it is the R2 version - are we in any way confident that the jailbreak will be tweaked for the R2 version?

And lastly - now that Absinthe 2 is in the wild - how long will be it be before Apple closes the signing window on 5.1.1? That being said I'm assuming my pad will come with 5.1.1 on it as it's coming from Apple.

Thanks guys.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I finally got the firmware downloaded, ran everything based on the directions given in the read me file, restored my backup & it SAYS I am jailbroken & I cannot run Abstinthe again because it SAYS I am already jailbroken...YET Cythia and my jailbreak folder/apps are NO WHERE to be found? (I kept all my JB stuff in a folder & that's how it was backed up.

So now I have a supposedly JB ipad that I CAN NOT access ANY JB features without the apps?

Any ideas?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with. Current iPad 1 owner but I just ordered my refurbished 16gb wifi iPad 2 from the Apple store yesterday. I had resigned myself to losing my jailbreak due being a bit out of the loop as my iPad 1 has just been rocking along with 4.3.5 quite nicely.

I was very excited to see the release of Absinthe 2 today but then got to wondering/worrying: Do you think my refurbished iPad 2 will be the R2 version that is not able to be jailbroken or is it likely to be the original version?

If it is the R2 version - are we in any way confident that the jailbreak will be tweaked for the R2 version?

And lastly - now that Absinthe 2 is in the wild - how long will be it be before Apple closes the signing window on 5.1.1? That being said I'm assuming my pad will come with 5.1.1 on it as it's coming from Apple.

Thanks guys.

Here's my attempt at reassurance (but, as you know, nothing is guaranteed or set in stone ... this is just my opinion/thoughts).

Apple just released iOS 5.1.1 and there has been no rumbling about another upgrade. As far as we know, there is nothing in the pipeline; iOS 5.1.1 is the most current for the foreseeable future.

The iPad that is not jail breakable at this time is the new iPad2 that was released AFTER the iPad3 was released (the ones sold since March 16th). It has a slightly different chip and so it's different. However, as you are getting a refurb, your odds are pretty good that you are going to get an older iPad2 versus one of the newer iPad2s that were produced after March 16. I'd say that it's a pretty good bet that it's one of the older ones (as more people will return old iPad2s versus new ones).

Again, all of this is just a guess, but you should be all right. Of course, you'll know for sure when you get it. Good luck.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally got the firmware downloaded, ran everything based on the directions given in the read me file, restored my backup & it SAYS I am jailbroken & I cannot run Abstinthe again because it SAYS I am already jailbroken...YET Cythia and my jailbreak folder/apps are NO WHERE to be found? (I kept all my JB stuff in a folder & that's how it was backed up.

So now I have a supposedly JB ipad that I CAN NOT access ANY JB features without the apps?

Any ideas?

Have you searched for Cydia in Spotlight? Maybe it's just on another page and you haven't seen it. And, in case you didn't know - when you re-jailbreak an iPad, all your tweaks and such from Cydia are not installed back onto the iPad when you "restore from backup." The only things that are re-installed from a backup in iTunes are the "official" apps and settings.

You have to go to Cydia and get your tweaks and install them back again. A lot of people use a backup program from Cydia (e.g. PKGBackup), but you still have to go to Cydia and get it so you can use it to restore the Cydia tweaks.

Although, right now? I doubt you could get a Cydia backup tweak to run well, given that all the repos and such are returning errors due to the high load on the servers. For a mass jailbreak such as this one - my recommendation is to go to Cydia and download the tweaks one at a time until you've got them all.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Marilyn

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you searched for Cydia in Spotlight? Maybe it's just on another page and you haven't seen it. And, in case you didn't know - when you re-jailbreak an iPad, all your tweaks and such from Cydia are not installed back onto the iPad when you "restore from backup." The only things that are re-installed from a backup in iTunes are the "official" apps and settings.

You have to go to Cydia and get your tweaks and install them back again. A lot of people use a backup program from Cydia (e.g. PKGBackup), but you still have to go to Cydia and get it so you can use it to restore the Cydia tweaks.

Although, right now? I doubt you could get a Cydia backup tweak to run well, given that all the repos and such are returning errors due to the high load on the servers. For a mass jailbreak such as this one - my recommendation is to go to Cydia and download the tweaks one at a time until you've got them all.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Marilyn

Like I said...I DON'T HAVE any of my JB apps! This INCLUDES Cythia. I can't FIND IT!!! How do I FIND the Cythia when it's NOT there? I only have 3 pages of apps so it's NOT hard to find if it WERE there! Sorry but I'm a bit frustrated with this right now!

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK WAIT! I searched for it like you said and now I'm getting "Preparing File System" on my screen! Keep your fingers crossed!!

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well the app is STILL not visible anywhere yet when I click on Cydia from Spotlight it opens it up. But I can't find the JB "app store" (I don't want to get in trouble talking about it) but it's the GREEN icon one (I forgot the name... Insidious maybe?). I don't remember what the source for it either...

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cydia is saying downloading packages for about 10min now...how long does that take normally? Will my sources be downloaded too from Cydia?

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did the Erase all Content and Settings and left to go have breakfast. When I got back, ~45 min, nothing had changed. Everything is still in place. All my apps....I should have had a sweet clean iPad ready for the jailbreakin. I don't understand. Ideas anybody?

Cheers, Dan

woodbane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at reassurance (but, as you know, nothing is guaranteed or set in stone ... this is just my opinion/thoughts).

Apple just released iOS 5.1.1 and there has been no rumbling about another upgrade. As far as we know, there is nothing in the pipeline; iOS 5.1.1 is the most current for the foreseeable future.

The iPad that is not jail breakable at this time is the new iPad2 that was released AFTER the iPad3 was released (the ones sold since March 16th). It has a slightly different chip and so it's different. However, as you are getting a refurb, your odds are pretty good that you are going to get an older iPad2 versus one of the newer iPad2s that were produced after March 16. I'd say that it's a pretty good bet that it's one of the older ones (as more people will return old iPad2s versus new ones).

Again, all of this is just a guess, but you should be all right. Of course, you'll know for sure when you get it. Good luck.

Marilyn

Many thanks, that makes me feel better about my chances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnnynunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys, tryed to jb my ipad 2 ios 5.1.1 and all went whel but when i try to start cydia it closes it instantly... Any toughts?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it closed after you went to it the first time, that's by design. It has to load all the sources and such.

Have you tried to go back into Cydia and sign in? You may also have to go to the Changes tab and select the Refresh button to get all the sources to finish loading.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts