What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here on Ipad 2 Wi-fi only. Mind you, Absinthe took 37 minutes to install Jailbreak. So, when they ask you to be patient they mean it. Lol

Oops sorry, should have written it clearer. What I meant that on iphone and ipad I went to settings and tried to reset all BEFORE Absinthe. Reason why I did this that last time (5.0.1 jailbreak) I wasn't able to run Absinthe without errors before devices were as new without any apps installed.

Absinthe took this time about one minute (with "clean" device) :)

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just jailbreaked both my iPad2 64gb 3G and iPhone 4S 16gb without any problems. Well, actually one, but I don't know if I wasn't patient enough...

Steps I took:
0.5) Reseted all settings and files from both devices => Took forever and didn't seem to do anything, so.... (advance to step 1)
1) Put device to DFU-mode and restored already downloaded firmwares on iTunes (http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html)
2) Ran Absinthe 2.0 in Windows 7 (I'm already admin so no questions asked, disabled firewall just in case)
3) After Absinthe did it's job, clicked Cydia icon and voila, everythings ok.
4) Now my iPhone is restoring all my apps from iTunes so I guess that everythings really ok.

Thanks! worked perfectly, first iPad, first jailbreak, bring on the tweaks :)

Skedon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its the modem drivers guys just put it in dfu mode let it complete installing drivers then reboot and all is well

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its the modem drivers guys just put it in dfu mode let it complete installing drivers then reboot and all is well
No time to retry now, but are you saying restore in DFU, reboot then run Absinthe? How does that clear the modem driver?

I was thinking perhaps my OTA update was what messed it up. Perhaps Absinthe can only deal with non-OTA firmware...

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Error trying to install jailbreak. "cannot connect to lockdown" it tries doing the jailbreak but gets "stuck" at about 1/4 into jailbreak then error comes up? Anyone having this issue?

vividenigma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes doing the dfu restore worked like a charm. Proof is in the picture.

Attachments

• image-1697873419.jpg
    image-1697873419.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 159

vividenigma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vividenigma said:
Yes doing the dfu restore worked like a charm. Proof is in the picture.

I shut off my firewall and av too ran as admin in win xp

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oops sorry, should have written it clearer. What I meant that on iphone and ipad I went to settings and tried to reset all BEFORE Absinthe. Reason why I did this that last time (5.0.1 jailbreak) I wasn't able to run Absinthe without errors before devices were as new without any apps installed.

Absinthe took this time about one minute (with "clean" device) :)

When I do this step; "Erase all Content and Settings.", it seems to take bloody forever. Just spins and spins. So I reboot and find that nothing has happened. Everything is still on my iPad. How long is it supposed to take to erase all content and settings?

Cheers, Dan

I think I guoted the wrong post.:eek:

Last edited:

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I was just able to jailbreak husbands iPhone 4s with no problems at all. But I'm still having issues trying to jailbreak my iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you have to jailbreak your device on the same computer you have your iTunes account on?

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found I had to run Tiny Umbrella and uncheck the option to set host to Cydia. After that upgrade to 5.1.1 worked fine and jailbreak went smoothly. I'm now restoring my Cydia apps/tweaks with PKGBackup.

rey_1178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just jailbreaked both my iPad2 64gb 3G and iPhone 4S 16gb without any problems. Well, actually one, but I don't know if I wasn't patient enough...

Steps I took:
0.5) Reseted all settings and files from both devices => Took forever and didn't seem to do anything, so.... (advance to step 1)
1) Put device to DFU-mode and restored already downloaded firmwares on iTunes (http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html)
2) Ran Absinthe 2.0 in Windows 7 (I'm already admin so no questions asked, disabled firewall just in case)
3) After Absinthe did it's job, clicked Cydia icon and voila, everythings ok.
4) Now my iPhone is restoring all my apps from iTunes so I guess that everythings really ok.
this worked!!! thank you!!!

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I do this step; "Erase all Content and Settings.", it seems to take bloody forever. Just spins and spins. So I reboot and find that nothing has happened. Everything is still on my iPad. How long is it supposed to take to erase all content and settings?

Cheers, Dan
With Absinthe you NEVER need Erase All Contents. It does everything with your current setup (if you're already at 5.1.1). That was the new breakthru with the Absinthe tool. And if you were already jailbroken Erase All Contents will just put you in a forever crash loop. You must always restore from DFU and iTunes when you're moving from one jailbreak to another. I don't know why the instructions talk about the Erase All Contents step. It's totally unnecessary and potential frustrating waste of time that you'll end up having to Restore from in iTunes anyway. So completely ignore that step, gang - and the first post should be corrected to get rid of that step.

Sketchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, I did not see the need to Erase All Contents and Settings when jailbreaking my iPad 2, and Absinthe only took about 10 minutes to jailbreak my iPad 2. Granted, I was using just about 15GB of my 64GB iPad2, so that may be the reason why it took a short amount of time, but even then...

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well trying to download the official firmware to do the DFU restore says it will take FOUR HOURS to just download the file!!! It's only 729mb & I am on a FAST broadband connection. Are the servers THAT swamped? Has anyone been successful using the itunes restore? Any faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions