What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man, that's the most problems I've had with a JB and I've been doing them since the iPhone 3G. To start I have an iPad 2 64GB WIFI only version, I only had about 15GB of free space (yes I have that much crap on my iPad). Ok, I was about 40 minutes in and then I got the error that Absinthe stopped working. I looked on twitter and noticed PlanetBeing made a post warning folks that if you have a lot of data on your iPad it will take quite a while for the JB to happen as part of the process is to make a full backup and restore (during the restore is when I encountered the error). So I figured I'd connect my iPad to iTunes and set it so it doesn't sync anything removing all the data off my iPad to make the JB process faster BUT now iTunes just sits on the waiting to sync status and does nothing. So I restart my computer and reboot the iPad,then fire up iTunes and reconnect it but still it won't sync. So I decide screw it and hit the little x in the status to stop it from trying to sync and decide to restore my iPad and start from scratch.

When restoring the iPad I set it up as a new device so that way it wouldn't load anything I previously had on there. Once it was done with the restore (took about 10 minutes) I connected the iPad to my computer and ran Absinthe. The JB process took all of maybe 10 minutes! Once it was done I opened up the iPad, selected the Absinthe icon created on the 2nd page and then it ran which rebooted the device and loaded the Cydia icon in place of the Absinthe icon. I selected the Cydia icon and then it loaded Cydia files and once that's done it closes. I reopened the Cydia app and then it went through the usual loading of the packages.

Finally I disconnected my iPad from the computer, opened iTunes, reconnected my iPad to the computer and then I was able to sync and do a back up. Now I will have to reload everything which is a pain but at least I'm jailbroken (I might be able to get it to sync from an old back up but since it's a new device I don't know if that's possible or not). Maybe this can help someone who is in the same boat.

daffie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regarding my earlier post about very strange and difficult problem with ipad after JB and installing Cydia apps :

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread-90.html#post423985

Well after more than 2 hours of searching and trying everything in my powers, at last I came across this thread :

SpringBoard Crash Loop - No Safe Mode - How to Fix - MacRumors Forums

I downloaded i-funbox (it's an i-file / ssh program).

Connected my ipad, started up i-funbox and navigated to :

Raw File system/Library/Mobile Substrate/DynamicLibraries/

Once there I deleted all Cydia app files...everything I could find that I knew I had installed using Cydia. Just to make my chances of succes as great as possible.

Re-booted the ipad...and YES YES YES...ipad back to normal once again!

Now it's back to see which Cydia app caused this very annoying behaviour.

Wow...this has really kept me busy and rather frustrated for the past hours. But...I have also learned a lot as well. Pheww...now I can go to sleep.

Edit : conclusion is that either ManualCorrectPro and/or DietBar caused this problem. My guess is DietBar, because ManualCorrect (the regular version) works without any problems.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPhone backup was a lot easier than my iPad, the iPhone reinstalled my apps automatically with the iPad I had to tell it what to reinstall! Oh well least I'm JB'd

IPADfreak90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after 2 hours of searching and trying everything in my powers, at last I came across this thread :

SpringBoard Crash Loop - No Safe Mode - How to Fix - MacRumors Forums

I downloaded i-funbox (it's an i-file / ssh program).

Connected my ipad, started up i-funbox and navigated to :

Raw File system/Library/Mobile Substrate/DynamicLibraries/

Once there I deleted all Cydia app files...everything I could find that I knew I had installed using Cydia. Just to make my chances of succes as great as possible.

Re-booted the ipad...and YES YES YES...ipad back to normal once again!

Now it's back to see which Cydia app caused this very annoying behaviour.

Wow...this has really kept me busy and rather frustrated for the past hours. But...I have also learned a lot as well. Pheww...now I can go to sleep.

i am glad ur problem has resolved ......

i have spent almost 10 hrs today on dis. cuz i had to backup and restore TWICE.!!!!

and had to install firmware again!....APPLE HAS KEPT THEIR SECURITY REALLY TIGHT eh!

daffie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am glad ur problem has resolved ......

i have spent almost 10 hrs today on dis. cuz i had to backup and restore TWICE.!!!!

and had to install firmware again!....APPLE HAS KEPT THEIR SECURITY REALLY TIGHT eh!

They sure have...but I could very easily access the pad with a program from my computer and then deleted some files. That was easy, very non-apple like :)

Meph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I have a dumb question. I was having the same problems with the windows app timing out and crashing during the first step. I backed up to my PC, restored to factory, rebooted, ran as admin, and then absinthe ran perfectly. Now I have a factory Ipad Jailbroke. Can I restore my backup now or will that remove the jailbreak?

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Ok I have a dumb question. I was having the same problems with the windows app timing out and crashing during the first step. I backed up to my PC, restored to factory, rebooted, ran as admin, and then absinthe ran perfectly. Now I have a factory Ipad Jailbroke. Can I restore my backup now or will that remove the jailbreak?

As long as your only syncing your iPad, all is fine.

Meph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, sorry there's way too many posts on here to read them all, from what I remember you get to the point where the absinthe icon appears, you then press this.......and what happens?

Absinthe loads on the Ipad then the icon changes to Cydia. Then you click Cydia to install it. Once done it reboots and your done.

Meph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as your only syncing your iPad, all is fine.

So just Sync the apps, don't restore from backup? Sorry, this is my first IOS device so this and Itunes Syncing is pretty much new to me.

Meph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the only reason I wanted to restore the backup was for settings like my Wifi settings for various places, etc. No big deal, I just want to know if my previous backups are worthless now or if I can use them. In iTunes it says it only restores contacts, notes, settings etc...not firmware. So I assumed it would be ok but i'm not going to until I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts