What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I may:

Daffie, that repo you are using for FakeClockUp is a repo for mainly piracy and pirates. It is NOT a repo on which this forum allows any discussion. Per our rules, any discussion of piracy and related repos, tweaks and apps may lead to removal of posting privileges.

That's what f4780y means when he [oh-so-gently] suggested you (1) read the rules and (2) remove that repo from your iPad.

The good news is that there is a perfectly legit repo for the FakeClockUp tweak. Just add that repo (and delete the bad one). You'll be good to go and you'll not run the risk of having a bad repo on your device.

Marilyn
For the newbs, how do they actually know when they're on a repo that we 'can't' discuss here and the ones we can? I know I was clueless. I think it's unfair to get jumped on as if you "knew" you were downloading something illegal when in the search window at Cydia there's nothing alerting you to this. How do we "know" good tweaks from bad ones? Honest question.

Any clarification would help all of those newer to the Jailbreaking scene which itself (jailbreaking) is a violation of user agreements with Apple, so, it's just "barely legal" ;-)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the newbs, how do they actually know when they're on a repo that we 'can't' discuss here and the ones we can? I know I was clueless. I think it's unfair to get jumped on as if you "knew" you were downloading something illegal when in the search window at Cydia there's nothing alerting you to this. How do we "know" good tweaks from bad ones? Honest question.

Any clarification would help all of those newer to the Jailbreaking scene which itself (jailbreaking) is a violation of user agreements with Apple, so, it's just "barely legal" ;-)

If a user was to go to Cydia and load the repo that was brought up in this thread a few posts ago, he or she would get this notice from Cydia:

BadRepo.PNG

After reading that notice, that individual would then know that the source has a bad reputation and supports piracy. There is no way to load that repo and NOT get that warning. Saurik, the owner of Cydia, has set it up so that the default sources are vetted and verified. You will never see that warning if you stick to the stock repos that come default when Cydia first loads on your freshly jail broken device.

So, if you were to try to add another source and got that notice - that is how you know it's a repo we don't discuss here. Then, if a person presses the "Add Anyway" button - we assume he or she has no problem with piracy ... which, again, is a problem for us here at this forum. We don't condone piracy or accept it.

There are many repos out there that deal in piracy. Most of us here at the Hacking section know which ones they are off the top of our heads; we don't have to load it to know that you will get the warning notice from Cydia.

So, bottom line - if you get the warning notice, that's a repo that supports piracy and we will not accept any discussion of it here.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If a user was to go to Cydia and load the repo that was brought up in this thread a few posts ago, he or she would get this notice from Cydia:

View attachment 9928

After reading that notice, that individual would then know that the source has a bad reputation and supports piracy. There is no way to load that repo and NOT get that warning. Saurik, the owner of Cydia, has set it up so that the default sources are vetted and verified. You will never see that warning if you stick to the stock repos that come default when Cydia first loads on your freshly jail broken device.

So, if you were to try to add another source and got that notice - that is how you know it's a repo we don't discuss here. Then, if a person presses the "Add Anyway" button - we assume he or she has no problem with piracy ... which, again, is a problem for us here at this forum. We don't condone piracy or accept it.

There are many repos out there that deal in piracy. Most of us here at the Hacking section know which ones they are off the top of our heads; we don't have to load it to know that you will get the warning notice from Cydia.

So, bottom line - if you get the warning notice, that's a repo that supports piracy and we will not accept any discussion of it here.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn
thank you. it does! you should add what you wrote here as a sticky near or in the forum rules so that people will understand "as" they're reading the rules what to look out for. as of now no such explanation exists in or near the rules threads. newbs just hear about tweaks from their friends. often they're just ignorant. i'm a professional musician and songwriter so i'm all too familiar with how this Internet generation of young people feel they have a right to get something for nothing. for what it's worth i buy everything i use on my phone. the only time i've done "otherwise" is when i wanted to "test drive" a certain tweak before buying since cydia repos don't offer trial versions. within 24 hours i always buy or delete.

thanks again. i'm sure many were aided by that explanation.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know it's early days and didn't wanna be the one who brought this thread back to life but I've just pre ordered the new iPad (as apple names it lol) and now the waiting game begins...

I'm hoping that the A5X chip isn't too much different than the A5 (besides the obvious Quad Core upgrade).

Hoping iOS 5.1 can be jailbroken as soon as the new iPad is released.

p.s I'm loving the fact that apple is now including Australia as part of the first countries to get these devices. Previously we've had to wait a few weeks after original launch to be able to get them.

Wolfseye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take it there isn't a Jailbreak Version for iOS 5.1 for the iPad2 anytime soon, is there ?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wolfseye said:
I take it there isn't a Jailbreak Version for iOS 5.1 for the iPad2 anytime soon, is there ?

No, you should expect it to be in the "months" timescale...

I've updated the first post to clarify the latest status.

Last edited:
H

hazi1610

RudyL90 said:

If you look closely at that pic, it shows iPad 2 on 5.1 jailbroken. What I want to know is, is it for real and if so HOW?

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi1610 said:
If you look closely at that pic, it shows iPad 2 on 5.1 jailbroken. What I want to know is, is it for real and if so HOW?

Photoshop probably. Or a kick ass hacker just did the trick. :p

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What it's not is an untethered jailbroken iPad 2 running 5.1. IMHO of course :)

Or.., maybe.... :D

He did say Monday after all ;)

I0nic FTW!

Last edited:
H

hazi1610

f4780y said:
What it's not is an untethered jailbroken iPad 2 running 5.1. IMHO of course :)

Or.., maybe.... :D

He did say Monday after all ;)

I0nic FTW!

It is untethered. Just been tweeting jailbreak news

H

hazi1610

hazi1610 said:
It is untethered. Just been tweeting jailbreak news

Actually, not sure if it is or not now, thought I read that it is but can't find that bit now.

H

hazi1610

Ok, it's ready but will be released alongside iPad 3 jailbreak. So we could still be waiting a while but I don't think it will be too long, fingers crossed. Not gonna say any more on the subject just now, we'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts