What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official IOS6 Jailbreak Status Thread

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. Following my thread in this forum about possible hardware problems with my JB ipad3 on 5.1.1, and whether I can keep the JB after repair, I'm considering getting an ipad4 but need to have it JB. If out of the box the iPad is on 6.1.2 or earlier, does it mean that it can be jail broken? Also, would I be able to restore my ipad3 5.1.1 backup onto it?

There is almost zero chance that you will purchase any new iPad4 device today and find that it has a jailbreakable version of IOS on it. Yes, of course if you find one with 6.1.2 on it you can jailbreak it, but the chances of that are slim. You would have to find one that had been sitting on a shelf since it was manufactured before March 2013.
The answer to your second questions is yes, you could restore the backup from your old 5.x device to a new 6.x device.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm also looking at perhaps purchasing an iPad 3 or iPad 4 used. If I do that, the chances of getting an IOS prior to 6.1.3 is higher. In that case, I could also still restore my iPad3's 5.1.1 backup onto it based on your advice. By the way, is there any way to tell what the IOS version is before opening the box? Many shops are reluctant to open the shrink wrapping on the box.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm also looking at perhaps purchasing an iPad 3 or iPad 4 used. If I do that, the chances of getting an IOS prior to 6.1.3 is higher. In that case, I could also still restore my iPad3's 5.1.1 backup onto it based on your advice. By the way, is there any way to tell what the IOS version is before opening the box? Many shops are reluctant to open the shrink wrapping on the box.
If you go here and enter the device's serial number, it will tell you which iOS version it left the factory with. The serial number can be found on the sticker on the back of the box. http://ios.joshuaturner.co/

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This looks really promising, but when I tried it using my iPad3's serial number, the result returned (6.0) was wrong. Mine was actually a 5.1.1.

If you go here and enter the device's serial number, it will tell you which iOS version it left the factory with. The serial number can be found on the sticker on the back of the box. iOS Version by Serial Number

Are there any other similar methods? This method looks really good as I can tell (if it works) what the IOS version is without opening the box.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This method doesn't help, because it looks like I need to open the box to get to the model number.

You can also go to Settings > About > Legal > Regulatory.

At the top you will see a model number that begins with an A. Unlike the the model number that begins with an M, found on the first page of the About screen, this one is pretty easy to look up.

iPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This looks really promising, but when I tried it using my iPad3's serial number, the result returned (6.0) was wrong. Mine was actually a 5.1.1.

Are there any other similar methods? This method looks really good as I can tell (if it works) what the IOS version is without opening the box.

There aren't any other utilities like iOSturner for iOS finding. There was another similar tool, but it only worked on the older devices up to the iPad 1, and does not recognize the serial for any of the newer devices unfortunately.

Most reactions