What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official IOS6 Jailbreak Status Thread

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does downloading firmware from the links on this site and selecting it for the update process make it faster because doing the download through iTunes is taking forever lol?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does downloading firmware from the links on this site and selecting it for the update process make it faster because doing the download through iTunes is taking forever lol?

Usually, at the time of a new release, Apple's servers do get a bit overloaded. So, yes, it probably is faster to get the ipsw file from here.

Actually, now that I think of it, I've never had iTunes get my new iOS... :) Of course and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MILJAN said:
Yes I know. I'm just trying to be helpful.... But there is a still a chance that Apple can change something in 6.1.1 and jailbreak will be off... Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad 4

The only way that Apple can change the iOS is through an update. If you don't update, you won't lose your iOS 6 jailbreak.

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to wait few weeks to let tweaks and apps catch up but I'm not going to risk missing a unthethered jailbreak lol.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wanted to wait few weeks to let tweaks and apps catch up but I'm not going to risk missing a unthethered jailbreak lol.

The devs are updating tweaks like wild fire. If you keep up with the repos website they have on going lists of the newest updates and the latest version #'s

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Inked adrenaline said:
The devs are updating tweaks like wild fire. If you keep up with the repos website they have on going lists of the newest updates and the latest version #'s

Where are the repos websites?

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol not sure what I did different with my phone but my iPad didn't transfer over contacts, messages, and photos. Sure it's something I did or didn't do. Updating was harder than jail breaking.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The only way that Apple can change the iOS is through an update. If you don't update, you won't lose your iOS 6 jailbreak.

I know that of course. I am just saying that version of ios 6.1.1 can be change before official release. 6.1.1 is in beta form and testers are working their job. After that we will see what will be with jailbreak.

Sent from my iPad 4

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so I had a little problem. I tried to update to 6.1 via iTunes but it failed. I got some sort of error (6) message saying it was stuck in recovery mode. Then it restored from apple and now its asking if I want to "set up as new" or restore from backup. Obviously, I did something wrong. Which should I choose?
thanks

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the love of all that's good and holy, restore from backup. If you tell iTunes to set it up as a new device it will delete your existing backups and you are most likely not getting your old data back.

I learned from experience.

P.S. It's okay to disconnect the iPad from your computer and then tell the iPad to set up as a new device. Then jailbreak and afterwards connect to iTunes and restore from backup.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the love of all that's good and holy, restore from backup. If you tell iTunes to set it up as a new device it will delete your existing backups and you are most likely not getting your old data back.

P.S. It's okay to disconnect the iPad from your computer and then tell the iPad to set up as a new device. Then jailbreak and afterwards connect to iTunes and restore from backup.

Phewww, good thing I asked first. Will give that a try.
Well, I did it and it worked. Problem is, I can't get my apps to restore from my back up. With every ray of sunshine there is a rain cloud. Damn.

Last edited:

Bula.bula

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Since when does iTunes delete saved backups when you request to "set up as new"??

Most reactions

Latest posts