What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official IOS6 Jailbreak Status Thread

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ShortBus said:
no you need to update to 6.1 through itunes.. you can update over the air but something about the APTickets not being handled right. this has nothing to do with the 6.1 update. only after jailbreaking and launching cydia.. the jailbreak app store. i'm a windows and android guy, so this is all new to me too, just fumbling through it as i go and asking for help from my friend who is an apple guy lol

I've already updated over wifi and jailbroken my iPad. My Question now is "Is there a way to fix this"? I haven't had any issues yet, and I want to try and keep it that way.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no harm in jail breaking a device that was updated to iOS 6.1 over-the-air (OTA). You didn't do anything wrong and the jail break will be fine.

The reason why we emphasized NOT using the OTA is because of a future potential re-restore option. A re-restore was created for iOS 5.1.1 a few months ago. A re-restore enable you to, well, re-restore iOS 5.1.1 in case you borked up your iPad so badly that the only way to fix it was to restore and put a fresh iOS on it. Without the re-restore option, the only choice was to upgrade to the iOS currently being signed by Apple - which was not jailbreakable. So, without the re-restore, people were out of luck if they messed up their iPads/jailbreaks.

However, due to how Apple changed the APTicket, the re-restore would not work on devices that has iOS 5.1.1 loaded from the factory or from an OTA. The only time the re-restore would work would be when the iOS was loaded on the iPad via iTunes (either the regular way or via shift/restore). A lot of us found this put the hard way...:)

There is no re-restore option (yet) for iOS 6.1. However, as a lesson learned, we are emphasizing not using the OTA option ... just in case.

Again, if your iPad was jail broken with an OTA-installed iOS 6.1, you are fine. However, in case a re-restore becomes available, you will want to restore and load iOS 6.1 on it - using iTunes, NOT the OTA method.

Hope this clarifies thing, a bit.

Marilyn

Hinds90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple should be signing this for awhile? Only reason I ask is because I'm deployed and don't want to update until I get back to the states in under a month.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ahhh, it's nice to have the home screen cleaned up....

8e5emu8e.jpg

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lets show our support and appreciation by donating to the @evad3rs

They go through all this hard work for us so let's all show out support

They have a PayPal account which can be accessed through the evasi0n website under FAQ - click the green contribute button
It can also be accessed when jailbreaking, using evasi0n - click "support us (PayPal)"

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Inked adrenaline said:
Ahhh, it's nice to have the home screen cleaned up....

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

I'm confused, what is different about this home screen than what can b done without JB?

Never have I seen a JB'd machine
(so I wouldn't notice
the difference
In either home screen)

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zstairlessone said:
I'm confused, what is different about this home screen than what can b done without JB?

(so I wouldn't notice
the difference
In either home screen)

dont be confused, that guys home screen isn't any different.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score

(so I wouldn't notice
the difference
In either home screen)

Nothing major, I like the subtle things, hiding labels and such. I never really theme, i like loading the useful tweaks that add features.

Was disappointed when I found out one of my fav tweaks isn't compatible, tweak being Gridlock. Hopefully a dev updates it soon.

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

Ghost2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just jb d wat a relief I have all my fav apps now ! Never will upgrade ! Only sad thing is ********** is dead! Long live evad3rs!kkeep evading

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ghost2014 said:
Just jb d wat a relief I have all my fav apps now ! Never will upgrade ! Only sad thing is ********** is dead! Long live evad3rs!kkeep evading

Yup. That nasty piece of code once enjoyed by thieves everywhere has curled up its toes, and is no more. Never mind, there are alternatives, like a credit card, for example. We pay for our apps on this forum. We don't encourage stealing.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm having a problem. I think I followed all the directions ok and have even downloaded 2-3 of my previously purchased and 6.1 approved Cydia apps but the top of my screen shows "Exit Safe Mode." No matter how many times I respring it is always there. Any ideas?

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm having a problem. I think I followed all the directions ok and have even downloaded 2-3 of my previously purchased and 6.1 approved Cydia apps but the top of my screen shows "Exit Safe Mode." No matter how many times I respring it is always there. Any ideas?

I found my problem... It was an app called Gridlock. I love the app so hopefully it will get repaired soon. It states that it is ready to go but I tried it 3 times and it is a no go on my iPad.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the new Jailbreak method require a live connection to the Internet? That, given I have updated the iPad to the latest iOS and it's ready to go?

Oh yes, and what is iPad 2 "Hardware Revision A" ?? (one of the .ipsw OS files offered for the WiFi-only iPad 2). I can't remember if I have that, and can't seem to find a definition or a way to find out.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This page is just about the status right?Now jb is out why don't you close it?

Most reactions