What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd Problems with Ipad 1

will79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully someone can help me

I've got an Ipad 1 16gb which is driving me nuts.

it happily shows the "itunes" logo but thats all !

I can put it in recovery and DFU mode and Itunes will recognise an ipad in recovery mode and try and restore it but it fails every time.

i've used tiny umbrella to try and "fix recovery" and it loads up green pois0n but then sticks and goes no further.

I've tried using redsnow to jailbreak the device but it always gets to "please wait please wait please wait" then times out saying no firmware download after 6000 ms

Using Ifaith its donwloaded the blobs and allowed me to make a custom IPSW but this still won't install from itunes.

I've removed the apple references from my hosts file and tried itunes, i've tried itunes with tiny umbrella running.

i never get the power off slider bar however it does happily go into dfu mode

I've tried different cables, i've tried everything !!!

any ideas ?!! basically I can either have a "Itunes" logo, a pineapple (when I try to jailbreak) but thats it. nothing else - it will go no further

any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

OP
W

will79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there,

thanks for getting back to me - unfortunately I can't even do that !!

I cannot get it to restore any version of the firmware from Itunes.... putting it into DFU mode or not - still errors one way or another....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi there,

thanks for getting back to me - unfortunately I can't even do that !!

I cannot get it to restore any version of the firmware from Itunes.... putting it into DFU mode or not - still errors one way or another....

Did you follow the guide? Lots of folks think they did the right thing, but they didn't. The guide will not fail unless there is a hardware fault with your iPad. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow each and every step exactly. Don't just assume you have tried the right stuff.

When you follow that guide tell me exactly what error code you get from iTunes and at what stage. Please don't just tell me it doesn't work. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
W

will79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok;

put device into dfu mode (hold down both power and home button until screen goes black, hold down power for a further 3 seconds (or so) after this, release power and continue to hold home for further 10 seconds.

open up itunes (having checked host file is clear of any additional entries)

device in recovery mode detected

press SHIFT + click on restore, select my downloaded 5.1.1 firmware (9B206)

click restore.

itunes says restoring etc etc

ipad screen turns on (previously black)

comes up with apple logo

then comes up with little progress timer circle thing

then comes up with progress bar (which never moves)

the itunes errors saying the ipad "iPad" could not be restored. an unknown error occured (28)

and thats it. never gets any further doing a standard restore from iTunes... any ideas ? and thanks again for your help

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, error 28 is a hardware error associated with the dock connector AFAIK. I don't know of anyone that has resolved that without a replacement device, although one person on this site did overcome it using another computer indicating it could still be an issue with your PC.
If you are sure you have disabled all security software, anti-virus, etc., and nothing else is interfering with the USB port, then I think you are stuck. But, if you have access to another PC, try restoring it there. Definitely try a different cable, and make sure you are not connecting via a hub.

Last edited:
OP
W

will79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this - do you have any more info regarding this issue - I'm happy to take the iPad apart and replace connector if that's the issue (and will fix it) as I've got nothing to lose really as it stands !

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure you are entering DFU mode correctly?

OP
W

will79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes definitely - i've tried it using tiny umbrella and it shows dfu device connected and have tried using ireb and redsnow too and both tell me it's in Dfu mode and then I do same thing but just use iTunes and this is when I get the error described above.....

OP
W

will79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, error 28 is a hardware error associated with the dock connector AFAIK. I don't know of anyone that has resolved that without a replacement device, although one person on this site did overcome it using another computer indicating it could still be an issue with your PC.
If you are sure you have disabled all security software, anti-virus, etc., and nothing else is interfering with the USB port, then I think you are stuck. But, if you have access to another PC, try restoring it there. Definitely try a different cable, and make sure you are not connecting via a hub.

I have tried it on a MacBook air too and same problem unfortunately so it does sound like a hardware issue.....

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry we could not help you bud.Good luck

Most reactions

Latest posts