What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 stuck in recovery with Error 34, tried lots of things, I'm stymied

PRA4SNW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correction: Error 37!!!

I hope this is the correct spot to post this.

I have an iPad 1 that failed during a firmware update and is stuck in DFU mode. This leads me to believe that it is not a hardware error like Apple wants you to believe.
I've searched for a solution and have tried the following:
Use iTunes to perform recovery. I tried the Shift + Update method as well (Firmware 5.1.1) and I get Error 37 every time.
I have tried this on several PC / MACs at different locations, several USB cables, so Apple's idea of it being a security / connection issue is null.

The furthest I have gotten is with several versions of redsn0w:
Enter redsn0w, click Extras, click Select IPSW, choose 5.1.1.
Go back, choose jailbreak but not install Cydia (when I do that, I always get "Exploit Failed")
Text of the progress is displayed on the iPad, then logo of Pineapple with headband appears.
Moving applications appears for awhile, then Rebooting.
The screen goes Black.

I click Just Boot, and the Pineapple Logo appears for a minute or two.
This is replaced with an Apple Logo for about 2 seconds, then Pineapple again for 5 seconds.
Then a spinning wheel appears for about 10 seconds.
After that, the screen goes black and am still in DFU mode.

Then, I try iTunes restore to see if it will work, and I just get Error 37.

Any ideas of what could help or what I may be missing would be hugely appreciated.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you believe it can't be a hardware error, but my assessment based on the information you have provided, and taken at face value, indicates quite clearly that it IS a hardware error. What you are describing is entirely typical of just about every hardware error I have ever encountered on an iPad.

OP
P

PRA4SNW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
My thoughts that it isn't hardware related is based on the fact that it occurred during a firmware update.
After hours and hours of trying to revive it, I am thinking that you are correct.
Not sure why the problem would show itself at that exact time, and the unit was not jailbroken or messed with in any way.
Just bad luck, I guess.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hardware typically fails when you are putting it under some pressure. Your situation describes exactly that.

A failed firmware install, no matter how severe, should always be easily fixed, unless there is a hardware issue preventing it... :(

From your description you have ruled out everything else it could be. Last resort is take it to an Apple store and let them try.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Most reactions