What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird problems with IPAD 1 WiFi

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiya fellas,

I've got a weird issue with my IPAD 1.
My IPAD was originally running fine on a jailbroken IOS 5.0.1 and I decided to give it an upgrade to 5.1.1. So, as usual step prior to any JB upgrade, I'd turned off the device and put it into DFU mode. Only at this point I realized that I haven't backed up my IPAD. So, I turned it back on. This is when the problem happened. The IPAD seemed to be stuck on the Apple logo. After couple of days of tinkering (even letting the battery drained as some had suggested) it still turns on to the Apple logo and sits there.

So, out of sheer frustration I've decided that I do not need to back up anything and straight away proceed to the upgrade segment. My IPAD can still be put into DFU mode but I have no idea why it will not get into recovery mode. Itune still recognizes it. Anyway, cutting to the chase, here are steps I've taken (which unfortunately DOES NOT resolve the problem):

1. Used Itune to Shift+Restore a Custom IPSW (Error 1602)
2. Used Itune to Shift+Restore a Custom IPSW with IREB R5 (Error 1602 and sometimes 1600)
3. Used Itune to restore Official 5.1.1 IPSW (Error 1602)
4. Used Itune to restore Official 5.0.1 IPSW (Error 3194)

** NOTE: During the Itunes restore process, it will verify the file against apple server (twice) at this point my IPAD would light up after the second verification process. But that's about it... It'll just light up the backlight only with nothing displaying on the screen.

5. Used Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 , 0.9.10b5c, 0.9.10b6, 0.9.12b1 & 0.9.13dev4 (No error but redsn0w freezes at "waiting for reboot" after "uploading second stage". At this point the IPAD lighted up its backlight only).
6. Used TinyUmbrella's "Fix Recovery" and restart IPAD (Still freezes at Apple Logo).
7. Used a different PC (freshly formatted) with same results as the above.
8. Used 3 different USB cables (same results as above).

I'm stumped and dead tired. Anybody got any suggestions besides having to purchase a new IPAD? Perhaps any other methods that I might have missed? Any help and suggestions here is highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance guys.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Achilles72 said:
Hiya fellas,

I've got a weird issue with my IPAD 1.
My IPAD was originally running fine on a jailbroken IOS 5.0.1 and I decided to give it an upgrade to 5.1.1. So, as usual step prior to any JB upgrade, I'd turned off the device and put it into DFU mode. Only at this point I realized that I haven't backed up my IPAD. So, I turned it back on. This is when the problem happened. The IPAD seemed to be stuck on the Apple logo. After couple of days of tinkering (even letting the battery drained as some had suggested) it still turns on to the Apple logo and sits there.

So, out of sheer frustration I've decided that I do not need to back up anything and straight away proceed to the upgrade segment. My IPAD can still be put into DFU mode but I have no idea why it will not get into recovery mode. Itune still recognizes it. Anyway, cutting to the chase, here are steps I've taken (which unfortunately DOES NOT resolve the problem):

1. Used Itune to Shift+Restore a Custom IPSW (Error 1602)
2. Used Itune to Shift+Restore a Custom IPSW with IREB R5 (Error 1602 and sometimes 1600)
3. Used Itune to restore Official 5.1.1 IPSW (Error 1602)
4. Used Itune to restore Official 5.0.1 IPSW (Error 3194)

** NOTE: During the Itunes restore process, it will verify the file against apple server (twice) at this point my IPAD would light up after the second verification process. But that's about it... It'll just light up the backlight only with nothing displaying on the screen.

5. Used Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 , 0.9.10b5c, 0.9.10b6, 0.9.12b1 & 0.9.13dev4 (No error but redsn0w freezes at "waiting for reboot" after "uploading second stage". At this point the IPAD lighted up its backlight only).
6. Used TinyUmbrella's "Fix Recovery" and restart IPAD (Still freezes at Apple Logo).
7. Used a different PC (freshly formatted) with same results as the above.
8. Used 3 different USB cables (same results as above).

I'm stumped and dead tired. Anybody got any suggestions besides having to purchase a new IPAD? Perhaps any other methods that I might have missed? Any help and suggestions here is highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance guys.

If you follow the instructions in this tutorial exactly, you should end up with a functioning iPad 1 on iOS 5.1.1.
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

OP
A

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply scifan57,

Anyway, I've gone through the tutorial and it's about the same with what I've done. I've got my ITunes updated to the latest version (v10.7). I've tried installing the IOS from my hard drive (I did mentioned Shift+Restore). I've tried Tiny Umbrella. I've also tried installing from a freshly formatted PC which would definitely have a fresh set of hosts file. All this were mentioned in the tutorial and I have tried them. I've wits end here. Been Googling and testing for more than a week now.

Any other method(s) I should/could consider?

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Achilles72 said:
Thanks for your reply scifan57,

Anyway, I've gone through the tutorial and it's about the same with what I've done. I've got my ITunes updated to the latest version (v10.7). I've tried installing the IOS from my hard drive (I did mentioned Shift+Restore). I've tried Tiny Umbrella. I've also tried installing from a freshly formatted PC which would definitely have a fresh set of hosts file. All this were mentioned in the tutorial and I have tried them. I've wits end here. Been Googling and testing for more than a week now.

Any other method(s) I should/could consider?

Thanks

Did you try everything in the tutorial in exactly the same order as it is written? If you follow the tutorial exactly, with no shortcuts or missed steps, it will work and your iPad will be on iOS 5.1.1.
BTW, you can't download iOS from a hard drive on your computer, only from the Apple servers.

OP
A

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try everything in the tutorial in exactly the same order as it is written? If you follow the tutorial exactly, with no shortcuts or missed steps, it will work and your iPad will be on iOS 5.1.1.
BTW, you can't download iOS from a hard drive on your computer, only from the Apple servers.

Hey there Scifan57,

Once again thanks for your reply.
Well, I did not follow the tutorial step-by-step per se. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give it a try. I'll follow the steps by the book.
BTW, I didn't say I downloaded the IOS from my hard drive. I meant to say that I downloaded the IOS 5.1.1 from a link on this forum to my hard drive and did a Shift+Restore in Itunes.

Anyway, I'll give this tutorial another try and will post back the outcome later.

OP
A

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I've followed the tutorial to the letter... Twice. Once on my standard PC and the other on a freshly formatted computer. Unfortunately the outcome remains the same. Somehow the problem part here is when Itunes verify the file against Apple server for the second time, INSTEAD of the IPAD rebooting to the normal Apple logo with the progress indicator beneath it, my IPAD only lighted up its backlight.

I believe that is the real culprit. My reason for saying this is that even on Redsn0w I will get the same thing after Redsn0w uploaded the second stage. My IPAD will only light up its backlight instead of the familiar pineapple logo with progress bar. Somehow this backlight issue stopped the USB connection henceforth the Error 1602 in ITunes. Which when I googled about would always seemed to be fixable by switching USB ports / cables.

Now, does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? If anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions on how to go about this please help. I'm at wits end with this crap.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Achilles72 said:
Ok, I've followed the tutorial to the letter... Twice. Once on my standard PC and the other on a freshly formatted computer. Unfortunately the outcome remains the same. Somehow the problem part here is when Itunes verify the file against Apple server for the second time, INSTEAD of the IPAD rebooting to the normal Apple logo with the progress indicator beneath it, my IPAD only lighted up its backlight.

I believe that is the real culprit. My reason for saying this is that even on Redsn0w I will get the same thing after Redsn0w uploaded the second stage. My IPAD will only light up its backlight instead of the familiar pineapple logo with progress bar. Somehow this backlight issue stopped the USB connection henceforth the Error 1602 in ITunes. Which when I googled about would always seemed to be fixable by switching USB ports / cables.

Now, does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? If anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions on how to go about this please help. I'm at wits end with this crap.

Have you thought of the possibility that your iPad has a hardware fault?

OP
A

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you thought of the possibility that your iPad has a hardware fault?

The thought did occurs to me. I've got no quarrel with that. But being sort of a techie myself, I just can't put my mind at ease without knowing what exactly the problem is.
I just can't understand why upon normal restart (by pressing the sleep/wake button) it'll go up to the Apple logo and get stuck there but from DFU mode and restore it wont get there? Just the backlight....

How weird is this? right?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't have anything to add. I am only posting to tell you that I'm moving this over to the Hacking section of this forum. Hopefully, some of our "jail breakers" might have an idea what to do...

Good luck.

Marilyn

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greets! I had trouble with an iPod touch doing much the same thing. After many attempts I was able to get it into console mode with a list of error codes.
I read through the fail safe instructions just now to see what they say. My trouble from a time ago had to do with step number 5. I ended up having to uninstall the anti-virus program all the way to get the restore to work. And I mean fully uninstall. I was a little spooked being naked on the Internet, but I did have the latest iOS already downloaded. After that the restore went without a hitch. Then I reinstalled the anti-virus suite. It was an adventure. Perhaps it will work for you.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

OP
A

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greets! I had trouble with an iPod touch doing much the same thing. After many attempts I was able to get it into console mode with a list of error codes.
I read through the fail safe instructions just now to see what they say. My trouble from a time ago had to do with step number 5. I ended up having to uninstall the anti-virus program all the way to get the restore to work. And I mean fully uninstall. I was a little spooked being naked on the Internet, but I did have the latest iOS already downloaded. After that the restore went without a hitch. Then I reinstalled the anti-virus suite. It was an adventure. Perhaps it will work for you.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Hi Fid,

Thanks for your suggestion. Truly appreciate it. However, if you noticed I've mentioned that I've tried in on a freshly formatted PC. And on this PC I've only got ITunes (10.7) installed apart from the standard applications that comes with Win XP. I do not have any anti-virus softwares installed on it. Heck, not even Microsoft Word. Anyway, I'm intrigued about your ability to get into console mode. I wonder if there's such thing with an IPAD? but looking at the similarity on all the iDevices, I would like to think that there's away for me to get into the console mode of my IPAD as well. Could you please post the methods used to get into your console mode? Maybe if I can go through the error codes on my IPAD I'll be able to determine the cause of the problem. Perhaps it'll be another great help for others who have the same problem as me. Tell ya the truth, Google ain't much of a help.

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to get a command line on the iPad is to have it working with OpenSSH installed. You can't get on when the device is inoperable, as yours is.

Can you do me a favour, on your PC (whichever one you are using for this), open a command line and enter the command "ping gs.apple.com" and tell me the resultant IP address. I'm not convinced you are pointing at Apple as you should be (Step 2 in the tutorial is designed to fix this).

OP
A

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way to get a command line on the iPad is to have it working with OpenSSH installed. You can't get on when the device is inoperable, as yours is.

Can you do me a favour, on your PC (whichever one you are using for this), open a command line and enter the command "ping gs.apple.com" and tell me the resultant IP address. I'm not convinced you are pointing at Apple as you should be (Step 2 in the tutorial is designed to fix this).

Hiya f4780y,

Thanks for the reply. Anyway, I did the ping as you suggested (on both PC + 1 additional laptop which has nothing to do with Apple, iDevices or Jailbreaking just to be sure) and the results I got is:

17.151.36.30 (Pinging gs.apple.com.akadns.net)
4 pings 351ms - 357ms

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, well that is Apple, so I'm sorry to say it really is starting to look like a hardware problem :(

Just as a final check, when you exit recovery mode using TU, have you tried holding down VOLUME UP throughout the boot process to put you into Safe Mode? That would get your old 5.0.1 booting if there was a rogue jailbreak tweak on there which was causing the hang at the Apple Logo. Seems like a bit of a long shot at this stage.

The only other thing I usually suggest when folks have tried everything is to take it into any Apple store. They will try and restore it for you, and if they can't do it, at least they will give you an option on how much a replacement will cost... ;)

Good Luck!

OP
A

Achilles72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, well that is Apple, so I'm sorry to say it really is starting to look like a hardware problem :(

Just as a final check, when you exit recovery mode using TU, have you tried holding down VOLUME UP throughout the boot process to put you into Safe Mode? That would get your old 5.0.1 booting if there was a rogue jailbreak tweak on there which was causing the hang at the Apple Logo. Seems like a bit of a long shot at this stage.

The only other thing I usually suggest when folks have tried everything is to take it into any Apple store. They will try and restore it for you, and if they can't do it, at least they will give you an option on how much a replacement will cost... ;)

Good Luck!

It's always a pleasure getting fresh ideas/suggestions. Thanks f4780y. Anyway, I didn't know pressing the Volume Up button would mean anything. So, I guess my answer would be "No". I haven't pressed the Volume Up button when I hit Exit Recovery in TU. What does it do anyway? I need some guide here.... Do I press the Volume Up button while hitting the Exit Recovery in TU or Click the Exit Recovery first then hit the Volume Up button? or there's no specific sequence to it?

You know how much it'll cost to get anything repaired at the Apple service centres in the US? Well, take that figure and multiply it by 3.18. 'Coz that's the currency exchange rate where I'm at. Even if it is a hardware issue, I think I'll try to figure it out myself. Worst case scenario I'll keep this Ipad as spareparts and get myself another used Ipad on Ebay. I believe that would be more cheaper than getting it to those Apple Geniuses.

Nevertheless, Many Thanks for your advice. Much appreciate it. I got my Ipad charging at the moment. Will try later and update you back.

Most reactions

Latest posts