What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observations after two days w/ 3G

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New 3G iPad Reviewed -- And Found Superior

New 3G iPad Reviewed -- And Found Superior

By Clayton Morris
- FOXNews.com

The wait for the new 3G iPad is finally over. I've used both models extensively now, and let there be no doubt: The new 3G Apple iPad is the superior tablet.

The wait for the new 3G iPad is finally over. I have my hands on the new 64GB Wi-Fi 3G model as I write this, complete with a $30-a-month data plan from AT&T.
After month one of hopping in and out of Wi-Fi hotspots using the Wi-Fi only version, I can safely say the 3G functionality dramatically changes the way I use this device. Let there be no doubt, the new 3G is superior.
For an extra $130, not much is different from the Wi-Fi model. The screen looks the same, the speakers just as loud, and finger prints just as smudgy. Although I couldn't tell, Apple says the 3G model is about a tenth of a pound heavier than it's older cousin.
The only obvious design difference is a black plastic bar along the backside instead of the previous all-aluminum enclosure. I'll give you one guess what that's for. You guessed it. The plastic area lets the cellular antennae work its cell magic. There's also a barely visible micro SIM card slot along the side.
Before surfing the Internet, I was prompted to sign up for an AT&T data plan. There are two choices: a 250MB plan for $15-per-month and an unlimited data plan for $30-per-month. There's no contract so I can switch my plan each month or cancel altogether without a penalty. This is the biggest selling point of the 3G model; you can always cancel the plan and still use the Wi-Fi functionality, but you can't do the reverse and add 3G to the cheaper Wi-Fi model.

I've covered the features of the iPad in another review. While I won't repeat myself, I do want to highlight video streaming. I was impressed with the video playback streaming over AT&T's cell network. After launching the Netflix application, it took 8 seconds for a two-hour Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie to start streaming.
The video quality wasn't Wi-Fi streaming quality, but it looked just fine. I watched an hour of the video without it stopping or buffering. In case you're wondering, the episode was called "Laserblast." And yes, it was terrible, as it should be.
Apple has delivered on battery life too. The Cupertino, Calif., company claims 9 hours of battery on the 3G model and 10 hours on the Wi-Fi version. With heavy Internet use and video streaming, I clocked in just under 10 hours on the 3G iPad. Not bad for a large cell phone!
The bottom line, if you're considering an iPad purchase and you plan to take it outside of your house for any length of time, be it the park, the bus, the train, or the Internet free zone at the grandparents' house, the always connected 3G is the sure way to go. Without the Internet, the iPad is a severely handicapped device. Trust me, you're going to want the Internet. After all, this is the best Internet browsing device I've ever used.
Clayton Morris is a Fox and Friends host and the tech godfather behind the Gadgets and Games show. Follow Clayton's adventures online on Twitter @ClaytonMorris and by reading his daily updates at his blog.

Clayton Morris

mrdinh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my thoughts with the wifi version.

1. heavy 1.5lbs...maybe get used to it?
2. fragile...afraid it will drop...my kids use it too!
3. lots of apps suddenly disappear and have to restart the app or the ipad...hopefully app fix for that?!
4. wif speed is spotty, not impressive web surf speed as advertised...maybe my router or internet service?
5. battery life seems good...my mbp sucks...my that battery needs changing?...and gets very very hot!!!
6. thinking of getting a case...but hate the bulkiness..bought a case for my iphone 3gs but took it off now...rather have it naked!...and love looking at the apple beauty design!
7. love having the internet in your hands!
8. mutlitask would be nice...jumping back and forth to start the app over again is wasting lots of time.
9. overall love the experience..think this has lots of potential and will get better and cheaper...just like the iphone

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
I have to respectfully disagree with you guys on the typing, I take all my school notes on it, which equates to about 4-5 pages double spaced per 3 hour class. I do it all using the Apple case, and I have no problems. I understand you guys got the 3G and have only had it a couple days, but give the keyboard time, you'll get used to it. I now type at about 80% of the speed that I do on a regular keyboard, fine by me.
Short quiz for Superbike81:

1. On the iPad, do you touch-type (left hand on asdf keys, right hand on jkl; keys) or hunt and peck? (I found I sort of do both because I'm normally a touch-typist but I can't rest my fingers on the on-screen keyboard.)

2. If iPad is 80% of your speed, then what is your 100% speed? Don't know your speed? Go to typing test here. (To do the test on your iPad you need to turn off auto-capitalization by going to Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Capitalization, which I don't like to have on anyway.)

My results for typing were 69 wpm on my keyboard using a Mac; 25 wpm using the on-screen keyboard using the iPad.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I've noticed:

Weight has not been an issue even for reading in bed. Was worried it might be after reading other posts.

Everyone who sees it, wants one!

I've no idea how someone would manage with 250meg per month. I'm at 500+ in three days and that is with Edge!!

Even though I knew I wanted one, I really had no idea how nice it is til it was in my hands. Can't imagine not having one now.

Could care less about a camera or flash, but really looking forward to multitasking and folders.

travroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend half my frickin time hitting the wrong buttons and pushing "back". It takes longer to do everything on the iPad, except check email and read news articles. I find myself relieved to get back on the laptop and not have to deal with touch screen (pinch, zoom, scroll, type, magnifying glass, etc). And now I force myself to use iPad, so I don't feel like I wasted $777 dollars on another gadget I didn't need in the first place.

Basically, it's a really great reader. A laptop is more appropriate for every other computing need.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend half my frickin time hitting the wrong buttons and pushing "back". It takes longer to do everything on the iPad, except check email and read news articles. I find myself relieved to get back on the laptop and not have to deal with touch screen (pinch, zoom, scroll, type, magnifying glass, etc). And now I force myself to use iPad, so I don't feel like I wasted $777 dollars on another gadget I didn't need in the first place.

Basically, it's a really great reader. A laptop is more appropriate for every other computing need.

I feel the exact opposite of all of that....maybe it's not for you.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If it becomes a PITA, there's always eBay. Bet you wouldn't have too much trouble unloading it for a good price.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If it becomes a PITA, there's always eBay. Bet you wouldn't have too much trouble unloading it for a good price.

considering how awesome it is and how many people want one I would say it should be no problem getting your money back on ebay.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it better for almost everything. The only things I have gone to my computer for since I got the iPad are major gaming and syncing my iPad :)

I have totally killed the battery every day since Friday which shows the extent of my use!

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it better for almost everything. The only things I have gone to my computer for since I got the iPad are major gaming and syncing my iPad :)

I have totally killed the battery every day since Friday which shows the extent of my use!

What about printing?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

Sell it! When I get something that just isn't for me, I take it back or if it is too late for that I sell it. That is way too much money to spend for something you don't enjoy.....

ARDOTBEE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I've noticed is the 250 mb can really wither within a good use of the iPad under the 3G service!! I used 150 mb in a 2 hour span.. Unlimited data is definitely worth the extra 15 dollars!! With that said I'm in love with the iPad..

Most reactions

Latest posts