What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note?

ipadilove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"hi there how is it possible to transfer or download your texts/notes on iMac to iPad in NOTES so read them on ipad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've turned on iCloud for the iPad, and have Notes enabled then it's fairly easy.

In Mail on the Mac you will see a folder named Notes. It should contain an iCloud subfolder. You may need to create at least on note on the iPad first. Create new notes in Mail on the Mac and copy&paste the text from into it. They will sync to the iPad.

If your current notes are already in Mail, then all you need to do is drag them to the iCloud folder from the On My Mac folder.

Personally I prefer to use the Evernote app on both my iMac and iPad. You can add notes as you please to both devices and have them stay in sync. It is far more versatile than the native Notes app.

Last edited:
OP
I

ipadilove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've turned on iCloud for the iPad, and have Notes enabled then it's fairly easy.

In Mail on the Mac you will see a folder named Notes. It should contain an iCloud subfolder. You may need to create at least on note on the iPad first. Create new notes in Mail on the Mac and copy&paste the text from into it. They will sync to the iPad.

If your current notes are already in Mail, then all you need to do is drag them to the iCloud folder from the On My Mac folder.

Personally I prefer to use the Evernote app on both my iMac and iPad. You can add notes as you please to both devices and have them stay in sync. It is far more versatile than the native Notes app.
ok so i went to get an id from Apple. i can't even get on internet with this. this is just a big iPod to me with a potential internet feature.
anyway, is there anyway do this signing up for iCloud on iMac?

OP
I

ipadilove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this link.

Though if you can't connect to the internet on the iPad you're not going to be able to sync Notes even with an iCloud account.

ok how do you then connect to the internet on the iPad?

OP
I

ipadilove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do i connect with VPN? i can't seem to get the wifi going at all

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need to connect to a wi-fi network (with internet access), or if you have a 3G/4G iPad to your cellular network. That is how iCloud works. The iPad without internet access is crippled (in my opinion). It's about half as useful as it should be.

There is one other way to sync Notes from the Mac.

When your iPad is connect to the computer and selected in iTunes, go to the Info page and select Sync Notes in the Other box. They will still have to be in Mail before they will sync; but I believe they should be in the On My Mac folder, not the iCloud folder.

I'd have mentioned it earlier, but I seldom use any syncing through the Info tab and forgot it was an option. iCloud, Google, or even Yahoo syncing is better if you have the choice.

I've never done it this way, so I'm not certain it will work the way I'm describing.

OP
I

ipadilove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in mail?
mail means what? a new email WITH APPLE? @mac.comish? does that cost a lot? or any email address?
You need to connect to a wi-fi network (with internet access), or if you have a 3G/4G iPad to your cellular network. That is how iCloud works. The iPad without internet access is crippled (in my opinion). It's about half as useful as it should be.

There is one other way to sync Notes from the Mac.

When your iPad is connect to the computer and selected in iTunes, go to the Info page and select Sync Notes in the Other box. They will still have to be in Mail before they will sync; but I believe they should be in the On My Mac folder, not the iCloud folder.

I'd have mentioned it earlier, but I seldom use any syncing through the Info tab and forgot it was an option. iCloud, Google, or even Yahoo syncing is better if you have the choice.

I've never done it this way, so I'm not certain it will work the way I'm describing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It means in your Mail app on the computer, whatever app you are using. Since you said you are using an iMac is assumed you are suing the standard mail app, named Mail. If you are using some other mail client then it should still show up.

The other assumption I made was that you were using an Apple mail address. From your above comment that appears to be not true. Syncing Notes the way I've described (though a mail client) is possible with iCloud (.mac or .me address), GMail, and Yahoo. I'm not sure what other accounts may support it, though I can pretty much guarantee that no POP based account will.

Whether Notes syncing with GMail will work depends on whether you've used the default setup or set up as an Exchange account. If you've set GMail up as Exchange the Note syncing option will not be there. However it is possible to set GMail up as both Exchange and IMAP (default), and simply turn off all but the Notes syncing in the IMAP account.

At any rate, at this point I'm no longer sure what to suggest.

I don't know if your iPad has internet access.
I don't know what email account type you are using.
I don't now what email client you are using in the iMac.

Therefore I'm pretty much rambling on with no idea how to give a solid answer to your questions; or even suggest a good alternative to syncing with Notes. Sorry.

Most reactions