What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure about getting ipad 2 now

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having read through the forums, I have noticed there seem to be alot of ipad 2's having backlight bleeding issues.

I am now not sure I want one because I wouldn't like to order, wait ages for it to arrive and then find it has this problem, have to return it and wait however long for a replacement which I gather could also have the problem.

Did the ipad 1 have this issue at all? Maybe I would be better off with that.

Alison

Alison.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using iPad Forums

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad1 definitely does not have backlight bleeding problems. Its screen was fixed in the chassis of the iPad using clips; on the iPad2 the screen - which Apple sources from two suppliers - is fixed by thermo-setting adhesive. At first it was thought that this was the root of the problem, but it appears not to be the case now as the bleeding problem only seems to be affecting those iPads that have screens sourced from one of the two suppliers.

I've heard relatively little about backlight bleeding problems in the UK - so maybe it's a problem that affects other countries - particularly the US - more. I'd be interested in UK Members observations on that.

In any case, Apple is now sourcing screens from another supplier, so hopefully the problem will disappear......

Tim

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't you buy directly from the store, take it home, try it out for a few days, then return it and get a replacement if it has issues?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UK her and I have a little bleed. Mainly near the volume rocker which is only visible on a totally black image/screen& in a dark room. It's not, but not enough to make me change.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, I certainly don't want to have to return one. Stock locally is sparse to say the least so returning might be a hassle.

Looked at one in comet today that had it too so not comfortable with buying one at the moment.

May go for ipad 1 instead but that's not what I want really.
Alison

Alison.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
If you are basing the entire run of iPad 2's just on the number of people who post here, then you are way off. People will more easily spout off about issues than "all working normally here." Also, there are so many iPad 2's out there they can't keep them in stock, and this site is only a SMALL percentage of the users. Small as in what, not even 1%?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that the one you saw in Comet had the backlight bleeding. I was in my 'local' Apple Store the other week, where they have 15 or so iPad2s on display for customers to try. I had a look at them all and couldn't detect any backlight bleeding in any of them - though, of course, it's difficult in the ambient lighting conditions there. So I guess, if you could detect it in Comet it must have been really bad, because most people can only see it in darkened conditions.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Tim

minouge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Agree with what others have said. I've had my iPad 2 for a few weeks now and have had no issues. No back light bleeding or anything. :)

OP
I

ipf-user965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My neighbour is just on his way to return his cos his has it too. He bought his in Sweden.

Apple have told him it's only happening with the first batch.

I'm basing my doubts on the fact that I noticed it on one myself. I realise the majority of people have no problems but I'm one of those people who usually ends up with the fault. Lol.

I will have to see how I feel nearer the time. At least I haven't already bought one .

Alison.

iKIKO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No backlit bleeding also here in mexico...it seems that the usa shipments are the more affected, in other countrys you dont read that much about that prolem..

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do you check for backlight bleeding. I only run programs that have white backgrounds so haven't noticed anything.

Most reactions

Latest posts