What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not real internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was about to purchase a new iPad but decided to use it at the Apple Store. It was great until I learned that it uses the Mobile Internet, not the real internet, so many of my favorite sites cannot be accessed. Glad I learned this before purchasing. For instance, I was unable to get Cookies so I attempted to download Firefox but the iPad will not download Firefox. The screen appears exactly as it does on my iPhone which shows an adapted form of the internet. I couldn't even access Facebook unless I signed-up for the Apps Store and must give a credit card # and code. I attempted this but a red message said that the code is invalid. What code do they mean? I entered my PIN number as well as the # on back of my VISA but none worked. I will stick with my laptop or a netbook.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi.

1) You're not restricted to mobile-only sites when surfing with iPad.

2) In my country the code is not the whole number on the back of the card, just the last three digits.

Having said that, you may be better off without an iPad if browsing the internet is that important to you. Internet browsing is not one of the iPad's strengths in my opinion, but I'm sure many people here will disagree.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's odd, must be the demos at the Apple store so people don't screw them up. I am on full Internet access like everyone else has on their iPad. I access the full Facebook site everyday. Never had a site that I couldn't access either. Never have had to use a credit card for anything.

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two words: Atomic Browser

You can then masquerade as any browser by changing your user-agent.
I find the browsing experience on an iPad the same, if not better, than on a desktop.

And on "trying to download FireFox", you need to learn the difference between iOS apps and Windows apps. And about the app store in general.
You should try to learn more before anything else.

For one, did you know that you can't use Flash?
Since you sound like you belong to the demographic that would consider that a deal-breaker.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
....err where to begin?
Internet works great on the iPad.
...err Firefox...iPad runs on iOS and has a large number of browsers but firefox is not one of them.
err ...why didn't you ask someone in the store for an explanation.

Internet browsing is not one of the iPad's strengths in my opinion
I strongly disagree.

Other than the fact you can't run flash on the iPad it's the best internet tool you can find. Bed, boardroom, beach it works just fine and you don't have to sit upright in front of a monitor.

I suspect the flash question is the great dividing line for many people, but given the current iPad hardware it would probably be a miserable experience. I think apple made the right decision.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3 Big Problems with Internet on iPAD :
Flash Flash Flash .
Sites that have lots of flash, wouldn't be visible on Apple IOS.
Apple has all kinds of excuses. But the bottom line is that with flash you can very easily hack the need of iTune and protected programs, since flash is a program language. Apple wants only program languages, they know and can control.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Me either and I have had mine since last June. I am out in the field with my iPad all day ~ no problems.

I will second that as stated many times before I use the iPad daily surfing and using the iPad as a business tool. I have no laptop now as some one dropped hot tea on my MacBook so waiting for insurance claim. I have not used my laptop for some 4 months now except in december prio to accident when I synced and back up all devices. When I come across a flash site which is rare I move on as in most cases I have alternatives. I suspect in USA there must be a lot of sports or movies sites that use flash. i have apps for all news sites including USA , Australia, Philippines, Britain and Europe so that is not problem either. I love playing games on the iPad including online games, I use 3 browsers depending what I want to view. I own the IMAX app plus same companies TV app and love it. Viewing you tube has not been an issue. I am on face book and use the app for that not interested in facebook games. The point is i can do every thing that I need with out issues in fact not only that the iPad is faster and easier to use than either the MacBook or the win 7 laptop in our house. I find in fact the others in the house now grab the iPad when it's free instead of the pc win 7 laptop.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was about to purchase a new iPad but decided to use it at the Apple Store. It was great until I learned that it uses the Mobile Internet, not the real internet, so many of my favorite sites cannot be accessed. Glad I learned this before purchasing. For instance, I was unable to get Cookies so I attempted to download Firefox but the iPad will not download Firefox. The screen appears exactly as it does on my iPhone which shows an adapted form of the internet. I couldn't even access Facebook unless I signed-up for the Apps Store and must give a credit card # and code. I attempted this but a red message said that the code is invalid. What code do they mean? I entered my PIN number as well as the # on back of my VISA but none worked. I will stick with my laptop or a netbook.
Turn off the 3G on the device and web surfing will be different. The iPad is not a computer, you can't install any crap you want on it...
I will stick with my laptop or a netbook.
Why do people bother coming to an iPad forum to tell us they aren't going to buy an iPad? Do you really think this person will be back?
He looks still there...

Probably an Android Troll!!!:D

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no problems surfing either. Yes, sites often will first go right to a mobile version, but you can also just then pick the desktop version as well. I also have Skyfire, got it for the heck of it, and can't conjure up a Flash based web site but one to save my life. I found one finally just to test it, but had to go out of my way, so funny how for me, Flash support is no big deal when it had been one thing I wish iOS had. (but didn't deter me either).At least you didn't go and buy the iPad and then complain-at least you tried first. But now that you know this forum is here, read up and you might change your mind if you learn more about iPad.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably an Android Troll!

Don't be evil!

Just a poor soul conditioned by windows.
Expect his next question will be what anti-virus to install........will suggest Norton full :)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with earlier posters that a good third party browser like Atomic makes the iPad a very good internet browsing device. My only issue is the general lack of speed at rendering web pages, but this is probably a RAM / processor issue and in the end not that big of a deal. When I want fast browsing I use Splashtop to my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions