What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad Pro, Internet Thru Non-Wireless Modem?

Chuckienut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad Pro (Wi-Fi) 9.7", 32GB, iOS 10

Newbie question here. My wife has a new iPad Pro, our first pad, we have no smart phones, only cheap flip-phone, PC Desktop, PC laptop and Chromebook laptop. iPad Pro at home with wireless router works fine for Internet.

When she is at her mom's with the iPad Pro there is only an internet modem (non-wireless) connected via Ethernet to a Chromebook laptop. Is there any way to access the internet to the iPad thru the laptop? Is the lightning or smart connector any help (sync) or is there an Ethernet adapter for the iPad?

Sorry, we are just learning and I can't find any help thru the owner's manual or Dummies book. Apple support chat says no. I just want to make sure that is correct. I thus presume we need to get a wireless router for Mom's house?

Thanks for any help! Chuckienut :)

BTW, so far we love the great sound for such a thin unit and also the excellent camera, especially in low light! We have lots to learn!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As Brian 244 suggests... Best bet is to pick up a $40 - $50 wireless router and hook it up at your mother in law's place. Then you'll have WiFi whenever you visit. Your wife's mother can still connect via a network cable and won't notice any difference.

Even if your mother in law only has one computer, adding a router is always a good idea. It provides an added level of firewall protection for any computer hooked up to it.

People don't realize that there is a lot of 'bad stuff' trying to get access to any computer that's hooked up to the net. With a router in place, that 'bad stuff' will never see any of the computers hooked up to it.

Just make sure the WiFi is properly protected with passwords etc.. That's another route for 'bad stuff' to get in. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To address the ethernet (wired) connector question, as far as I know the 12.9 inch iPad Pro is the only model I that can be connected to ethernet port (via a dongle, or perhaps two). I'm not sure of the details of how it's done, just that I read from a reliable source that the lightning port on the 12.9 inch iPad has some USB C compatibilty that supports the connection.

The smaller, 9.7 Inch iPad Pro can not do this, nor any of the other iPad models.

If you have the larger iPad Pro, I can see if I can find the referenced and pass it along.

Otherwise, as others have already suggested, a portable router is probalby the best solution. Some of them are quite small and easy to set up. The AirPort Express is not the cheapest, but because it's an Apple product is it probably the easiest to set up and guaranteed ( or nearly so) to work with your iPad.

It's hard to suggest more without knowing your mother's exact setup.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Chuckienut - welcome to the forum! :) You've already received some great advice and doubt that there is a cable ethernet solution to plug your wife's iPad Pro into your MIL's modem, but may be wrong?

As already suggested, the best solution is to obtain a Wi-Fi router to attach to your MIL's modem - these are inexpensive and provide extra protection (even if only one computer is attached); check w/ her ISP to see if a combo modem/wireless router is available - may be a quick solution and will be setup by her internet provider.

Now, if the above is not acceptable, then a portable Wi-Fi router can be used - a number are available, and I own several; the first shown below is no longer available (but check the website for newer models) - I used this Zuni router in the past in hotel rooms that wanted to charge for each Wi-Fi device - thus, I would cable the router to their ethernet source and use the router as a personal wireless network to attach to our multiple iDevices - no longer need this function because the hotels allow a single price for multiple Wi-Fi devices.

The second device that I own can be used for many purposes - the pics are from Amazon, so check there or go to the websites - there are certainly other options - simply google 'Wi-Fi portable routers' - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 8.05.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 8.06.23 PM.png

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion to install a wireless router. Since I'm all-Apple, I'd suggest an Airport Express, but there are many others to choose from and they all do pretty much the same thing.

Part of the reason I suggest Apple is that they are simple to set up and work through an app, rather than a browser window.

As stated above, the existing computer can be hardwired to the router and mobile devices can connect via wifi.

OP
C

Chuckienut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much to Brian, jwt873, twerppoet, giradman and Kevin for the quick, informative and detailed responses.

I didn't mention that this is in Japan, but that shouldn't make much difference. She will be back to the US in 2 weeks. She travels there 5-6 times a year and is the only person who uses a computer at her mother's place. I'll have her take a photo of the rear of the modem. I hooked up the Chromebook laptop there myself with an Ethernet cable. I'l have her take a photo of it both ends of the cable. If my memory is correct there are several Ethernet jacks on the modem.

She'll also call the ISP (high speed DSL/phone service) and see if she can get a modem/wireless router. I go over there with her in December for 3 weeks so I can handle the issue when I'm there. In the meantime she can just use Chromebook, minor inconvenience.

The wireless router should be an obvious solution and also the small portable routers I see at Amazon like the Hoo Too's look like a good way to go. This will be very close range like 3-5 feet or maybe 12-15 feet to the adjoining bedroom.

Thanks, Chuckienut

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wirel...t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q9X5KQJWZ945JB87Q730

Most reactions