What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not impressed

Annadocmartin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my iPad 2 about three months ago and am very disappointed with its usability. I constantly come up against not being able to access a number of things google street view for one, some i player stuff for another because flash player is not allowed. If I had taken a bit more time to look into it I would have bought something different and not automatically trusted Apple. We have a Mac Book Pro and that is miles better. General consensus not worth it. This is a
flop and you have disappointed a lot of people.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Annadocmartin said:
Got my iPad 2 about three months ago and am very disappointed with its usability. I constantly come up against not being able to access a number of things google street view for one, some i player stuff for another because flash player is not allowed. If I had taken a bit more time to look into it I would have bought something different and not automatically trusted Apple. We have a Mac Book Pro and that is miles better. General consensus not worth it. This is a

Wrong. You are in the minority as far as being disappointed. There are work-arounds for some things, like if you need Flash (though I personally do not miss it), use Splashtop to remotely access your computer and use your desktop from the iPad. If the iPad were a flop, would there be such a clamor for a third generation? Doubt it. So no, the iPad is not a flop.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google street view is in the map app. If you do a search, tap the red pin and a bar with two icons appears. The left one will take you to street view if available. Google Earth is also available as a free app.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums. First I will move your post to general discussions as that is the correct forum for your thread.

In respect to flash please be aware that Adobe no longer is developing flash for ANY mobile platform and further more will not offer any upgrades to existing mobile platforms that use flash which includes Android. I also suggest you read a thread that not only explains this but also offers alternatives. As a member has advised there are many Apps that address some of your issues and workarounds to assist. Hope that helps. The link is http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/54704-flash-ipad.html

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would "trust Apple" to provide the sort of comprehensive, open device the OP apparently would prefer. Apple is not now and never has been about being a highly interoperable platform. And in the years since Adobe turned down Steve Jobs' requests to port their software to the Apple platform, Apple has become ever more closed. i have a number of complaints about the limitations of the iPad but in almost all cases I understand why those limitations are there; either to provde a consistent user experience (e.g. limited multitasking) or to enhance Apple profits. In return for those limitations I have a device that where the ratio of performance/requirement satisfaction versus maintenance/management headaches is very, very high. But I would no more "trust Apple" to give me everything I want than I trusted IBM to do the same in the 1970's when their business model bore a striking resemblance to Apple's currrent model.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Google street view is in the map app. If you do a search, tap the red pin and a bar with two icons appears. The left one will take you to street view if available. Google Earth is also available as a free app.

Or tap and hold near a street until you get a purple pin. If Street View isn't available the left icon will be grayed out, otherwise tap it. You also get a mini preview of Street View when you tap the info icon (if it is available). You can tap on that to enter Street View as well.

It's one of the nicer Street View implementations.

Last edited:

Gab3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ditto...also sux that theres no java support. AND also sux that u cant upload files!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree about the Flash Player restriction.

OMG - not this again! :thumbsdown: This has been discussed (AND explained) to death! Forget Flash - it's a dead issue!

To the OP - and for other potential purchasers reading this thread, please BEFORE buying an iPad, review the specifications of the device carefully - this is NOT a laptop computer, but will replace many of its needs BUT not all! The iPad complements your other computer needs and can substitute many of those functions (not ALL!) - figure out how to integrate the iPad into your life - as an example, I traveled w/ a laptop for years (mainly to check our email & the web on the road) - the iPad w/ the BT keyboard and local Wi-Fi has replaced my laptop for THOSE purposes (and is much easier to carry and check through an airport) - if you hate the iPad, then give it to your younger generation relatives; I'm sure that they will have a great time w/ the device - :D

Gab3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog...i think my frustration is that the ipad IS capable to do it all, but apple decided to go another way, i wud b interested to understand why...im assuming money, but who knows. Just disappointing is all. That said my ipad is very convenient in other ways.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol. I bet lots of companies would be happy to have a "flop" like iPad.

What happened in your case:

1. You didn't do your homework.
2. You took so long to figure out that iPad wasn't a good fit that you exceeded the return window.
3. You assumed that something is a flop because it doesn't fit your needs, despite all reality that iPad has done gangbusters in the marketplace.
4. You've projected your disappointment onto others and have presumed to speak for "a lot of people" who are supposedly disappointed and have arrived at a "general concensus" that is not backed up.

No gadget will fit everyone. If iPad doesn't suit, sell it and move on.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Lol. I bet lots of companies would be happy to have a "flop" like iPad.

What happened in your case:

1. You didn't do your homework.
2. You took so long to figure out that iPad wasn't a good fit that you exceeded the return window.
3. You assumed that something is a flop because it doesn't fit your needs, despite all reality that iPad has done gangbusters in the marketplace.
4. You've projected your disappointment onto others and have presumed to speak for "a lot of people" who are supposedly disappointed and have arrived at a "general concensus" that is not backed up.

No gadget will fit everyone. If iPad doesn't suit, sell it and move on.

Agree!!

Most reactions

Latest posts