What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob to the forums - just got first iPad

rickwinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,

My lovely bride of 35 years gave me an iPad for our anniversary this past Monday, March 4. So I'm getting acquainted with a new gadget. It's an iPad 3 with the retina display, in a 32 gb size.

I've been using an iPhone since 2010 so the basic knowledge is familiar but I have several questions after reading here.

Primarily, are all iPads wifi and cellular data capable?

At the time of purchase the sales guy asked her, "Do you want a data package?"

We are on AT&T and a family plan so she took that to mean "did we want cellular service?"

Was that the correct interpretation of his question, or do I need to swap this unit for one that will work with wifi and our AT&T service?

If I need to take the questions to a different section of the board please let me know and I'll get it to the right section pronto.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Real name is Rick, best to all.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings,

My lovely bride of 35 years gave me an iPad for our anniversary this past Monday, March 4. So I'm getting acquainted with a new gadget. It's an iPad 3 with the retina display, in a 32 gb size.

I've been using an iPhone since 2010 so the basic knowledge is familiar but I have several questions after reading here.

Primarily, are all iPads wifi and cellular data capable?

At the time of purchase the sales guy asked her, "Do you want a data package?"

We are on AT&T and a family plan so she took that to mean "did we want cellular service?"

Was that the correct interpretation of his question, or do I need to swap this unit for one that will work with wifi and our AT&T service?

If I need to take the questions to a different section of the board please let me know and I'll get it to the right section pronto.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Real name is Rick, best to all.

Hi Rick--welcome to the forum and congratulations on receiving your ipad. Happy Anniversary as well!

Regarding your question--there are two versions for an ipad. In simple terms: Wifi...and... Wifi with cellular.

I have an ipad wifi only device. However, because it is Wifi capable--I can use a Mobile broadband hotspot or even use my cellphone as a hotspot to connect to the internet if needed. So-my ipad can either connect in areas where wifi is available (home, McDonalds, Starbucks) or be connected by an external device as mentioned above.

The iPad with Cellular will need to be connected with your phone plan.

Have a look at this from Apple-it will give you the comparison.

Apple ? iPad ? Compare iPad models.

So--if you are looking into an ipad + Cellular..then you will need to exchange it, but will cost you another ~130 dollars or so to do this.

By the way-I have also deleted your duplicate post. Please do not duplicate posts, it is hard to manage and is against our forum rules.

OP
R

rickwinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roger all that, thanks.

If I can get this cloud business figured out so the key information I work with daily crosses over the several platforms I use then I'll be good to go.

Thanks again, and best regards -

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roger all that, thanks.

If I can get this cloud business figured out so the key information I work with daily crosses over the several platforms I use then I'll be good to go.

Thanks again, and best regards -

That's what we are here for...so if you get stuck in the cloud--holler and we'll come and help you out!! :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad forums, the largest and best iPad forum anywhere, with over 282,000 members worldwide!

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrats with your new ipad. I know you will like it very much. 32gb is a good size. If u travel much and like to watch movies you might need a larger ipad. Good Luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts