What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob 3G question - not clear when is 3G used vs. wifi

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just signed up for AT&T 3G. Currently I am in a spot where I am on a wifi network yet I see the AT&T symbol showing in the upper left corner of my ipad. Does that mean I am using 3G when I see that displayed? Am I using 3G whenever I set 'Cellular Data' to 'ON' in settings?

And while I'm getting my noob questions out.... is the check status capability in settings going to give me current usage stats or is there a delay between what is reported (like is it a day behind)?

Thanks!

Markswheels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G symbol will turn into 3 half circles, 1 on top of the other when you are using wifi.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

OP
W

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when I see "AT&T" that means the 3G is enabled but not being used if I have a wifi signal?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
That tells you a signal is available at what the strength is. The importatnt bit is to the right of that, if it's says 3G, your using 3G, it's its radiating quarter circles it's wifi.

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the iPad is sleeping it prefers 3G over Wi-Fi.
Not sure the logic behind this but it does.

OP
W

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I keep email from being downloaded in the background? I don't want my busy work email eating up my 3G minutes unless I explicitly want to view email. I turned off PUSH for email but it still connected and pulled down email - a little confused about that.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
......... The importatnt bit is to the right of that, if it's says 3G, your using 3G, it's its radiating quarter circles it's wifi.

Excellent explanation, thank you :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions