What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. With music playing what happens to the slider in the music app when you adjust the sound with the up and down buttons?

image-1997917642.jpg

For now I'm not too interested in whether you have sound or not. I want to see if your iPad is responding as it should in other ways. Just press play and see if the slider moves.

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I push play it does not show the circle on the volume indicator. It just has a line a cross

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cciscammell said:
When I push play it does not show the circle on the volume indicator. It just has a line a cross

Kevin is out of Internet range at this time but will be back later.....

You say you've had headphones connected to your iPad, have you turned off whatever was playing before pulling out the head jack? This can cause the sound to mute, so plug them back in and actually stop the music before disengaging and see if this makes a difference. Also some headphones have a mute button feature on them, could this have been activated?

Lastly have you had a Bluetooth keyboard attached at all? As these also have a mute button and you will need to reconnect to disable this feature.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Luber905

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A long shot and I'm not quite sure if it's been covered here.

In Settings/General there is a setting called "Use Slide Switch To:"
You can select the slide switch so it controls either rotation lock or mute. If it's switched to "Lock Rotation", you need to make sure you haven't muted your speakers in the switcher bar.

To check this, go to Home screen and swipe up with 4 fingers. This obviously shows the apps bar. Now swipe the apps bar to the right (push it towards the right side of the screen) this reveals your iTunes player controls and on the far left is the Mute/Unmute button. make sure this is turned off. Slash across means muted.

Note that if you have your Slide Switch set to Mute/Unmute, then this apps bar button will switch the lock rotation feature.

Hope this helps, coz it sounds like the "problem" I had with my new iPad, and stumbled across my solution quite by accident...!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That could work, but I'm worried about the lack of a button in the volume slider. I haven't been able to reproduce this.

I'll be back online in a few hours, and I'll put some more thought into this. I can't see how it can be a hardware problem, but it might be.

In the meantime, why not play around with the lock orientation/mute settings.

If someone could guide you through a return to factory settings, that could be useful too, although I'd rather find out what has happened rather than hit it with the biggest hammer we have.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried all these and nothing works. I change the switch back nd forth nd nothing I have tapped home screen twice nd checked there still nothing. The volumes witch still says sound effects except when I plug earphones in then I get sound hru them nd volume switch allows me to turn up nd down. In ever used earphones in the iPad til last night only to ck sound nd it has never been in a dock. And I have no iPod app. Please help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unlikely, but check the dock port for debris. If you see any remove it carefully with something soft like a plastic toothpick.

You can also try General > Reset > Reset all Settings. You will have to re-tweak most of your settings afterwards, but it will not erase content or delete you account information.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That could be more useful than a factory restore, twerppoet.

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I set the I pad back to factory settings.? I don't care to lose what's on it if that might fix it. Thanks everyone for all the help it is greatly appreciated.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of two ways. Either go to Settings/General/Reset/Erase all Content and Settings

Or plug into your PC, open iTunes, and click in your iPad on the left side of the screen. On the default tab you will see an option to restore to factory settings.

I suggest the second method. I'm not sure which OS you will reset to. You will want to update to 5.1.1 if you are taken back to the OS that was originally on the iPad so you may as well be on iTunes ready to do it.

When you are given the choice of setting up as either a new iPad or from the backup of your iPad, you MUST choose the first, as whatever is causing this will be contained in the backup.

If the problem survives this process, it is a hardware fault, as no faulty settings will carry over.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well went to iTunes and did the restore but still the same. iPad is still under warranty so I guess it is going back to apple. I hate it so much I love this thing. Thanks for all the help.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the next one should be better. Sorry we couldn't help, but it's almost certainly hardware.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it certainly sounds like a hardware problem here and Apple is your only recourse.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Most reactions

Latest posts