What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have IPad 2 and for some reason I can hear no sound when playing videos that I have on my IPad or YouTube or any other video. When I try to turn volume up with the switch on the side it says sound effects and does not turn volume up. I can hear the face time alerts and all the ringtones and so fourth but can not on the videos. Just wandering if anyone could help me or if I needed to send it for repair. Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like your speaker volume is turned down. Although there is only one set of volume controls, they actually control 4 different volume levels; ringer, speakers, headphones and Bluetooth.

I suggest you play some music and turn the volume up. That should switch the volume controls to speaker volume instead of sound effects. Have to admit I have never seen "sound effects" come up when changing volume.

Let us know whether or not this works. If not we will do some digging until we find out what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's something you could do right away. Go to Settings/Sounds and turn OFF Change With Buttons.

I think you have accidentally muted your iPad, but continue to hear alerts because you have the capability to mute them turned off.

The effect we are looking for here is that you should lose your alert sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried both things you suggested and it did not work. I can put headphones in and I can hear music and videos and the volume button works perfect but when I take the out it does not work again. Man I am getting aggrevated.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you take a screen shot of what you are seeing? Touch the volume up button then quickly press sleep/wake and home buttons together to take the screenshot while the volume level indicator is still on the screen, like this:

image-3228145554.jpg

Let's see what you have there, and see if we can't sort out what is going on.

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wanted to add my son downloaded a sound effect app on the iPad and I think that's when this started. I deleted the app and even took the iPad back to factory setting but still the same. Would that's have caused this some way? I also heard something about a iOS software that could cause this but not sure if that is correct. Mine has iOS 5.1.1

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see an app being able to affect iOS. The operating system is built in such a way that it's impossible. However, that leads me to ask, are you jailbroken or stock?

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does jail broken or stock mean? I bought iPad new from bestbuy.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't know, I'll assume your iPad is stock. Jailbreaking is the process where you mess with its innards to get more control over it. Our hacking section has all the details. It won't just happen accidentally, so it's a guarantee yours is still stock, as you bought it.

I'm going to play around with my iPad and see if I can get the same effect on the screen that you are getting. While I play, you could try this. Close all running apps and do a reboot by following these instructions:

Double press the home button, which will reveal the multitask bar. Long press on any app in the multitask bar, and then press the minus sign that appears on each of them. Once you have closed them all, press the home button again to bring the screen back to normal. Once you have done this, it might not be a bad idea to reboot the iPad. Hold down sleep/wake and home buttons together until the Apple logo appears, then release them and wait for the iPad to restart. This should sort out your problem apps.

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already deleted all apps that I had downloaded. The only apps that show up in ten bar r factory installed apps.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is different. Closing the apps in the multitask bar is not the same as deleting them, it is removing them from memory.

I have a question. Is your iPad still in warranty, because what I have discovered so far is not good. Other discussions I have read indicate that you may have a hardware failure. However, we at not done yet. There are more things to try.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. For the first time ever, I have the sound effects volume available to me by turning on the Change with Buttons setting.

However, leaving this control on does not affect my ability to control the volume of music played through the speaker. When I run the Music app and adjust the sound, the sound effects control is replaced by the speaker volume one, and when I turn it off, the sound effects control is back.

Now we just have to find what is stopping your audio volume from appearing.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Best place to start, I think, is to turn off the Change with Buttons capability in Settings/Sounds. Then we will lose the sound effects volume control and can concentrate on the other stuff.

OP
C

Cciscammell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that and still not working. I hope not nothing major. I don't understand how everything works perfect except the video sound but I have no clue about this stuff. Going to bed now but will check back with you in the morning. Thanks for all your help and I pray when can get it fixed without sending it in. Thanks again.

Chris

Most reactions