What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating IOS Question

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A coworker has an iPad 1 and doesn't use iTunes. She is behind on OS updates and doesn't have the OTA software update feature in settings so it must be updated thru iTunes. So here is my question...

Can I just take her iPad and update it to IOS 5 on my home computer without it erasing her apps, data, and media or will I need to create a backup first and do the update and restore from backup?

Thanks...

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Should be possible. You'll need to log out of your iTunes account on the computer first, log in using your colleagues AppleID, authorize your computer for use with that ID. You also need to prevent automatic syncing in iTunes.

Once you've done that it should be safe to do a backup, then update. If you lose anything, you can restore from backup once the update is complete.

Once that's done she can do future updates OTA, and you can restore iTunes to your own account.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Most reactions