What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New To JB'ing Apple Products...

CC268

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I am very very familiar with android products and using the method we call "rooting". I frequently browse the forums, changing my ROM, kernel, etc (hope these are familiar terms to some of you). While I like apple products, I am a bit puzzled as to why I bought one over the xoom. Lets face it, the ipad2 is just plain boring as a stock oversimplified electronic. However, I do not know much about jail breaking, and I have been reading up a small tad on it. Rooting an android device makes literally a world of difference and it speeds up the device ten fold. Pardon me if some of this info is stickied, if so just ignore it, I am posting a last minute thread before tomorrow. So here are my questions:

1. Are there big advantages?
2. What are the disadvantages?
3. Are there ROMS, kernels, etc you flash or is it simply a one time deal?
4. I have heard different things about the ability to JB an ipad 2 at the moment, what is the deal?
5. Can this be done on a PC? I see a lot of mac tutorials

I believe that is all for now, I will post any more questions I have :D
I guess the biggest thing is, to root or not to root?

Thanks!

Last edited:

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I am very very familiar with android products and using the method we call "rooting". I frequently browse the forums, changing my ROM, kernel, etc (hope these are familiar terms to some of you). While I like apple products, I am a bit puzzled as to why I bought one over the xoom. Lets face it, the ipad2 is just plain boring as a stock oversimplified electronic. However, I do not know much about jail breaking, and I have been reading up a small tad on it. Rooting an android device makes literally a world of difference and it speeds up the device ten fold. Pardon me if some of this info is stickied, if so just ignore it, I am posting a last minute thread before tomorrow. So here are my questions:

4. I have heard different things about the ability to JB an ipad 2 at the moment, what is the deal?

Thanks!

Let me preface this by saying that I totally support jail breaking iDevices (I've had every iPhone since it was first released, and have both iPads), however, you're gonna get a lot of fanboys/girls saying "ZOMG jail breaking is the winz because you can do so much awesome stuff." In reality, JBing the iPad is far less beneficial than JBing an iPhone or an Android device IMO.

1. The biggest advantages are being able to install apps that aren't App Store approved and having root access.

2. There aren't many downsides to JBing an iPad, the only thing that sucks is if you mess up (some people just aren't good at following instructions) and end up having to try over and over again to get it to work.

3. The closest thing you get as far as ROMS, Kernels, etc. will be apps like Winterboard which allow you to make your iPad have a custom look by changing the theme (icons, BG, sounds, etc.). Hopefully though, the people who created Dreamboard will be starting to focus on an iPad friendly version which will allow for more customized themes like you're used to seeing on your Android devices.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just have a lol around this section, look at the apps sub-forum. Look at the stickies. The answers are all around you! :)

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CC268 said:

5. Can this be done on a PC? I see a lot of mac tutorials

Thanks!

I've never JB an iPad as my first and only iPad is the iPad 2 and from what I've heard, there is no JB for it yet. My iPhone, on the other hand, is a much better device since it's been JB. The only thing that kinda sucks is that you have to get apps from the Cydia store that allow you to better customize it - and many of them cost, which is fine but being a broke mother and nursing student makes it difficult! Even simple apps - there's an app that allows you to be able to add an infinite amount of apps to your folders - cost money. Wonterboard is great - unless you have a Verizon iPhone, I've been fighting with it for awhile and I guess it has something to do with Verizon iPhones - the themes don't work right. Even so, JBing my phone is still the best thing I've done! Even if I can't afford to get certain apps at the moment, I can still save up and I know there's the possibility of being able to tether my device without paying $20 a month to Verizon. From what I've seen of my friend's rooted phone - JBing and rooting are pretty much the same thing, but Apple iOS devices and Android devices work differently and don't have the same capabilities. Try googling "Rooting vs Jailbreaking" - there's many sites that can explain the differences better than I can!

OP
C

CC268

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm well I am kind of stuck on this one...not sure if I should do it or not. I guess I could try it and see how I like it. I love how much customization you can do on the android devices though :(. However, maybe I will give it a shot.

Most reactions

Latest posts