What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to iPad, Forum, Apple

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hallo to everyone, in this my first post.

Love my iPad to bits. Definitely. Taken as read!

But I get so, so, so frustrated! Others who've come new from Windows with its menus will probably feel the same. It's the problem with basic navigation... There's the thing called minimalism & Jobs's nice clean design, which is great. But there's another thing a step further, called, well, NIX....? I search & search, going back & forth trying to find a magic key that will do an "open sesame" for what I want, Usually with heart in mouth, afraid I'll delete something or click on some other disastrous thing by mistake, or get lost & not able to find the way back.

Coping with the images in albums is one Big Angst. It's relatively easy to add a new album & then add photos from other albums. I eventually found how to name the new albums. But still don't have a clue for how to name the individual images. With an image open, I tried going to the "onward" arrow at top right and choosing to send it in a message to myself, together with the chosen title. That worked, but just for one message.

I want to do lots of artwork, many as throwaway experiments, or to save some, either as one-off pieces or one of a series of variations on a theme. Can't find any-which-way to label them. Or throw away the unwanted ones that were saved temporarily from the camera roll. I need to label as I go or I forget what I did to produce each one, which isn't sensible or useful, especially when teaching.

Yes, tried going to the manual. But how often do you find what you want to know in that? I'm looking forward to finding some answers here. Long message, apologies.

Stranding

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photos app is simply too limited for what you want to do. That's why you're having so much trouble figuring it out. It's impossible to find what is not there.

You'll need a third party app. Photo Manager Pro is popular, but since you have a specific idea of what you want to do you may want to explore some of the portfolio style apps as well. Though they can sometimes be hard to track down, there are apps for just about every special use you can think off.

Good luck.

OP
stranding

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The Photos app is simply too limited for what you want to do. That's why you're having so much trouble figuring it out. It's impossible to find what is not there.

You'll need a third party app. Photo Manager Pro is popular, but since you have a specific idea of what you want to do you may want to explore some of the portfolio style apps as well. Though they can sometimes be hard to track down, there are apps for just about every special use you can think off.

Good luck.

Many thanks! Didn't occur to me that it just wouldn't be possible (why on earth not?). Nor to look outside for another app. Will go search for a suitable one.

OP
stranding

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi Stranding...as Twerppoet stated you may need to find a 3rd party app that fits your needs.

Have a look at this thread to see if any of these options help:

Hope that helps you! Welcome!
v
Thanks! I will look there first.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks! Didn't occur to me that it just wouldn't be possible (why on earth not?).

Mostly because they never really designed it to be a photo manager. It just sort of grew out of the basic photo syncing that has been available since the first iPod had a color screen. Then they tacked on the Camera Roll, to store local stuff. Since then they've been adding features willy-nilly, and not with their usual focus on a quality user experience.

I'm sure it's due for a big rewrite eventually, but probably isn't at the top of their list.

That may be a blessing in disguise. They are just as likely to go backwards to an even simpler app (like they did with Music) as they are to try and make it the best photo manager on the iPad. ;)

After all, there are those third party apps for those that need more.

OP
stranding

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Mostly because they never really designed it to be a photo manager. It just sort of grew out of the basic photo syncing that has been available since the first iPod had a color screen. Then they tacked on the Camera Roll, to store local stuff. Since then they've been adding features willy-nilly, and not with their usual focus on a quality user experience.

That would explain the irritating (daft!) lack of function. And there I was, expecting the design side would be all hunky-dory...(I must live in a dream world!).

I had a quick trawl & found lots of basic apps that write on the image itself & then send it as a jolly postcard to Aunt Betty et al, ideal for many. I then found the ultra basic, free Jpg Story which just adds simple text to the bottom of an image, then saves to camera roll, fine for now till I get something more fancy. (Yes, Photo Manager Pro looks promising.)

Then I wondered if clicking the scary "Delete everywhere" for the un-named copy, also sitting in Camera Roll, would delete both (or more copies put into other albums), considering them as "identical" images. Or not. Seems not---the label gives that particular copy a unique identity. So perhaps that's a possible simple workaround to this silly problem?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'm hearing you about the photo app, it is disappointing. I would be interested to know what apps you do sette on for this and I'm sure it will help others who are searching for it also, so could I ask you to post back with your finds....thank you.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
stranding

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'm hearing you about the photo app, it is disappointing. I would be interested to know what apps you do sette on for this and I'm sure it will help others who are searching for it also, so could I ask you to post back with your finds....thank you.

Thanks! Yes, I will certainly post back with what I go for.

Though I have Photoshop Touch on the iPad, which is fine for simple cropping, brightening etc, I wouldn't attempt more serious editing; I'd prefer to transfer to Photoshop full version on the PC.

Also have been searching the forum links you highlight for more useful messages. As you of course recognise--and it must be irritating for the old-hand members--clunky newcomers take a while to get their bearings. I'll get the hang of it, eventually!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stranding said:
Thanks! Yes, I will certainly post back with what I go for.

Though I have Photoshop Touch on the iPad, which is fine for simple cropping, brightening etc, I wouldn't attempt more serious editing; I'd prefer to transfer to Photoshop full version on the PC.

Also have been searching the forum links you highlight for more useful messages. As you of course recognise--and it must be irritating for the old-hand members--clunky newcomers take a while to get their bearings. I'll get the hang of it, eventually!

It's not irritating at all! I remember when I first received my iPad and how hopelessly lost I was, then I found this Forum and was so thankful for it. We try to help each other here and we all remember what it was like to be new to this.

You'll get there and we're all here to help!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
stranding

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
It's not irritating at all! I remember when I first received my iPad and how hopelessly lost I was, then I found this Forum and was so thankful for it. We try to help each other here and we all remember what it was like to be new to this.

You'll get there and we're all here to help!

Thanks for saying that!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stranding said:
I tried to add a smiley to last message. Need to do some more homework reading on that thread!

They don't work, at least not on the app, you can get apps for it or just use the colon or semi colon with the brackets for happy and sad.
Colon and capital D for laughing face. :) :( ;) :D

Others may chime in here with how they do it hopefully.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Most reactions

Latest posts