What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Laptop, new iPad, old iPod Touch...how do I synch iTunes

Tarianne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So this is my dilemma.

I had a three year old laptop that I used to synch my iPod Touch (1 gen) to iTunes, tons of music, worked just great. Ordered the iPad and just before it arrived the motherboard on the laptop died. I ended up replacing the laptop with a new one and now, when I log into iTunes with my new laptop -- none of my music is there. I want to be able to synch to my iPad and update my iPod Touch. So what am I missing here? Is it all gone and do I have to start all over?

I would surely appreciate your help and advice.

Thank you.

Tag

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarianne said:
So this is my dilemma.

I had a three year old laptop that I used to synch my iPod Touch (1 gen) to iTunes, tons of music, worked just great. Ordered the iPad and just before it arrived the motherboard on the laptop died. I ended up replacing the laptop with a new one and now, when I log into iTunes with my new laptop -- none of my music is there. I want to be able to synch to my iPad and update my iPod Touch. So what am I missing here? Is it all gone and do I have to start all over?

I would surely appreciate your help and advice.

Thank you.

Tag

Do you still have your broken laptop......all of your music will still be on the hard drive, so you could put it in a caddy and transfer the music back into iTunes on your new laptop.

EDIT - If all your music is on your touch still then you could transfer it back into iTunes on your new laptop.

The Archangel

OP
T

Tarianne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not transfer my music from my old laptop to the new because is was dead.

I still have the broken laptop. When you say put it in a Caddy? What does that mean? I do have all my music on my iPod Touch though...how do I transfer from iPod Touch to iTunes on my new laptop? Do you know of a link with instructions?

Thanks so much!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarianne said:
I did not transfer my music from my old laptop to the new because is was dead.

I still have the broken laptop. When you say put it in a Caddy? What does that mean? I do have all my music on my iPod Touch though...how do I transfer from iPod Touch to iTunes on my new laptop? Do you know of a link with instructions?

Thanks so much!

Well if all your music is on your iPod it's easy, follow this link and pick "transferring purchases" option...... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Let us know how you get on.

The Archangel

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A caddy is an enclosure you can buy to make the laptop hard drive an external drive which can be connected to the new laptop via USB or FireWire. Doing this will let you get your music from the old laptop's hard drive.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Gabriel1 said:
Well if all your music is on your iPod it's easy, follow this link and pick "transferring purchases" option...... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Let us know how you get on.

The Archangel

Will work fine if all music was purchased in iTunes, if it was ripped or acquired elsewhere, then that won't work. There are various third party software solutions that will do it, but I've never used any of them so wouldn't know which to recommend.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As long as the music was added to iTunes first then synced with the iPod, or purchased through iTunes on the iPod, the transfer purchases options will work fine. It's only stuff that bypassed iTunes (not the store, the program) that may have problems transferring.

Been doing this for ages.

At any rate, Try Gabriel1's instructions, then check your computer's iTunes library. That is the only way to see if it is going to work for certain. In most cases it will work fine.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Just did a quick test and it doesn't work for me. Always used iTunes to sync. I deleted a track from my iTunes library that was not purchased via iTunes, tried to recover it via the transfer purchases option and it didn't copy back across, still on the iPad but not in my library. As I said afaik transfer purchases is just what it says, anything that has been purchased in the iTunes store, anything else is ignored. It would be useful if it did work as you say, but in my experience that's not the case.

Nothing stopping the op trying tho, and maybe all music is purchases.

EDIT actually it did also delete it from my iPad during a sync, so maybe op might not want to try this way.

Last edited:

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hard drive daddy's ( will post a link at the end of my post) are cheap and easy to use. Since your old laptop is dead, removing the hard drive is easy, and I will post detailed instructions for you if you decide to go down that road. I would, you have nothing to lose!

Hard drive Caddy"s ( this is the one I use, as it takes standard hard drives, Sata hard drives and laptop 2.5 inch disks as well:

This is a different model to mine, slightly cheaper, but will do the job nicely:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=407162&CatId=3560

I have 12 hard drives with data on them, and this is an invaluable tool for accessing the data without filling up my 4 TB PC with stuff I only use once in a while. It will recover your iTunes data with ease. As I said, if you do decide to go for this solution, PM me and i will give you detailed info on the recovery process.....You don't want to boot from it that's tip 1 ! Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Damn spell checker...Caddy"s not daddy's LOL!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
Damn spell checker...Caddy"s not daddy's LOL!

I think Hard Drive Daddy's sounds much better......maybe the name for any hard drive experts on here......in fact, maybe you should now be known as the Hard Drive Daddy!

The Archangel

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys with respect the OP is new to this the single biggest issue is nothing was backed up second most people do not have a clue on how to pull a hard drive out of a dead computer then install it in a caddy plus locate the library and transfer it. The OP may need some one to do it for him we need to know approx how much music he has plus how much was purchased from iTunes and is there any back ups etc If the music resides on the ipad and no backup on computer I would look at software that does not cost heaps to copy all the music and photos back to the new computer, Apps can be down loaded free so that's not an issue
One should invest in a USB drive and back up weekly period then recovery is not an issue but in 80% of home users do not. Then all hell breaks loose when a computer or drive fails. If he can get the drive out he can transfer the iTunes folder to the new computer then sync I have done this hundreds of times for clients and it works

That's my input. Get the info then let's try to assist

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
What you require is a 3.5" hard drive caddy, most computer stores should sell them, especially the bigger companies.

Once you have the caddy, you then need to remove the hard drive from the broken laptop, put it in the caddy, then connect the caddy to the new laptop.

Once done, you need to locate the music, movies and any other files that you want and copy them over to the new laptop.

To be honest, i would suggest taking it to a computer store, and get them to do it for you,or someone you know that knows what they are doing, provided you don't have anything that you don't want anyone else to see. That way you can be sure that you won't lose anything and the files will be copied and put into the right directory on the new laptop, so that once you get it back, you can just use it kike it was your old laptop.

As col.bris said, backing up regularly is recommended if you have files that you can not afford to lose.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts