What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help With Synching iPad, Using My Laptop

rayroshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wondering if it's possible to transfer a large (50.3 MB) text file from my laptop into an app that resides on my son's iPad. When I plug his iPad into my laptop, I get the message from iTunes to the effect that iTunes can only synch to one computer, and, if I continue, it will wipe out everything on the iPad's iTunes, replacing it with everything on my laptop's iTunes. Well, I don't want to wipe put everything on his iPad's iTunes, so I'm stuck.

All I want to do is transfer this single text file that resides on my laptop's desktop into an app on his iPad.

It wouldn't have been a problem, if my son had left his laptop with me, along with his iPad, as I could've then simply transferred the text file from my laptop into his laptop's iTunes, then just synched his laptop with his iPad. But, since he didn't leave his laptop with me, and he lives a long ways away, I'm stuck trying to see if there's a way to somehow drag/drop/transfer this text file directly from my laptop onto his iPad. Is this somehow possible, or not, without having his laptop? It seems like it should be possible, since I know his iTunes user name and password, but I don't know too much about iTunes, so maybe it's impossible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any instructions need to be pretty clear (step-by-step), as I'm kinda challenged, here, when it comes to iTunes and Apple stuff.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try using DropBox, download it to your laptop and his iPad, drag the file into your Dropbox and it should appear on his iPad in the DropBox App.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
File Sharing shouldn't depend on whether the iPad is synced; in theory.

Give this a try.

Go into your Preferences in iTunes, the Devices tab, then check the box to prevent iPod's, etc from syncing automatically.

PreventSync.jpg

Now connect the iPad again, and it shouldn't insist on syncing or erasing. Even if you get a dialog, just cancel it.

Go to the File Transfer options under the Apps tab. If the app supports File Sharing you should see it in the list and be able to add your file there. File Sharing happens as soon as you add or delete files. There is not sync required, so when it is done you should be able to disconnect the iPad and find the file in the target applications.

iOS: About File Sharing

If the app does not show up in File Sharing, or this does not work for some other reason you'll need to use a wireless or internet solutions (like Gabriel suggested with DropBox).

Most reactions