What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New IPAD owner in need of some guidance

turok12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, just purchased my first Ipad. Still fresh in the box. I am fairly new at dealing with itunes and apple stuff altogether, although I have had a 32G 4th gen ipod touch for the last 2 months, and have been loving it.
My question is, what is the easiest way for me to set up my new ipad with the same apple id as my touch? My thinking, based on some quick internet searching , leads me to these steps. 1. make a backup of my itouch in itunes on my pc. 2. restore the data onto the ipad by connecting it to my pc and going into itunes and restore.
Another question though is when going through the very initial ipad setup, upon first turning it on, as in language and location, then it asks something about WIFI or itunes. Do i then select itunes plug it in and then restore, or what other steps will I have to go through to make this a problem free affair? Also any apps i have downloaded and paid for that are on my itouch, and itunes will I need to redownload them onto the ipad? Will the icons appear on the ipad and then I need to download them, or will they all be functional and ready to use once the restore action is complete?
Sorry for all my complete newb questions, but I just want to do this right the first time.

Thanks

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have three idevices setup under my iTunes account and it was pretty easy to do. There were a few tweaks I had to make but in the end it worked. That first question about using wifi or iTunes is just to decide if you want the backups to be done wirelessly or through a computer. If you choose wifi, the iPad will back up every so often through wifi. Otherwise, you have to plug the iPad into a computer with iTunes for it to backup.

Once iTunes knows about the new device, you can use iTunes to decide what apps get transferred over, what apps and music get synced with which device, all that stuff. It wasn't too hard for me to figure out. Each time you hook up a device to a computer with iTunes, all of the options for that device are available to tweak to your liking.

Most reactions

Latest posts