What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad trying to restore continously

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just updated my ios from 5.1.1 to 7.0.4 on a jailbroken ipad2. The problem I have is that my ipad keeps trying to setup over and over. During the initial update/restore from itunes, the ipad rebooted and asked me the following: Language, location, wifi, and then if I wanted to set up the ipad as a new ipad or from the cloud backup, or from itunes backup. The first time it asked me, I picked from itunes backup. After it restored, it then rebooted and asked me the same thing over and over. I powered it down, thinking that it would recognize that it was completed, but, no, it asked me the same things. I am now restoring it again from my itunes backup. What I see happening on the ipad is the apple logo appears, then a line underneath it. This line appears for a short while like it is downloading info, but then disappears without completing the download. Then the "Hello" screen comes on again and the same thing happens. I am afraid that if I try to set it up as a first time use, then all of my apps and settings won't transfer to the ipad. How do I get it to complete and leave me alone?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to reset the iPad after a system upgrade/download. If you have not already done this....
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the white Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
Andrew

Sent from OZ using Tapatalk

OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought that would fix it, but it did not. I reset the ipad as you said, but the wallpaper never appeared. It kept reverting to the white setup screen. I then proceeded to try to restore from itunes backup. I could see on my laptop that itunes was restoring, and I actually got a screen on the ipad that said Ciao, then it shut off. After it restarted, the logo came back up and the progress line underneath. But, after a gew seconds the progress line never fully finished and disappeared. then the horrible "Hello" screen. Should I just try it as a new setup? Will doing that prevent me from loading the apps I already had on the ipad?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new setup (that is, reset your iPad to as new factory settings) may solve the problem if it not a physical issue with the iPad as I suspect your problem may be related to the previous jailbroken state . You would get back all your purchased and free apps previously downloaded from the app store by tapping the Purchased icon.

Here is a link from an experienced colleague in that area re a safe way to restore your iPad. Follow the steps carefully and you'll be OK.
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html
Andrew

OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. What was happening was the ipad was stuck in setup assistant mode and would never complete. What I ended up doing was picking the first option which was setup as a new user. After answering some of the questions and logging in to my apple id account, I ended up with all of my apple store apps (not my cydia stuff, which I had expected would happen). I feel a lot better now. Thought I might have to toss the ipad ;). So now everything is perfect in the world once again!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. What was happening was the ipad was stuck in setup assistant mode and would never complete. What I ended up doing was picking the first option which was setup as a new user. After answering some of the questions and logging in to my apple id account, I ended up with all of my apple store apps (not my cydia stuff, which I had expected would happen). I feel a lot better now. Thought I might have to toss the ipad ;). So now everything is perfect in the world once again!

Well that is good news! Tossing an iPad just does not bear thinking about;) And credit to you for your perseverance!
Andrew

OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your assistance, "The OB". It's good to know there are people out there like you that are willing to help. I greatly appreciate it.

Most reactions

Latest posts