What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with new updates

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new iTunes just downloaded on my pc. I then got a message asking me if I wanted to download Safari
Update. Do I need to download the new Safari to my PC? I don't want to run it on my pc, but do want to have
the new update on my iPad.
I did not download the Safari update to my pc. Do I need to?
Do I need to download the iTunes update to my iPad or will that happen with my next sync?

I have not synched my iPad in the last month Will that cause a problem?

Sorry for all the questions, but have only had my iPad for 6 weeks or so and this is my first update.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You do not need to download or run Safari on your PC. The update to the iPad is completely separate, and updating iTunes is all you needed to do in order to accomplish that.

When the iOS 5 update is available you will plug your iPad into the PC. If things work the same as in the past, and they should, iTunes will tell you the update is available and give you the option to download and update, or download only. In the past most people have found the download only option to be less prone to problems.

The update process will create a backup before it begins. However if you would like to save time backing up and syncing your iPad now is a good idea.

OP
Elliern

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I did a sync last night and did not download the safari update to my pc. When the new iOS is available, I will just do the download. I want to avoid any potential problems if I can.
I appreciate the advice.

hmb1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I too downloaded iTunes 10.5 this morning and my iPad2 has been "stuck" in step 1 (backing up) for 1.5 hrs. It has been a week or so since I last synced and I have 57 apps... is this an unusual amount of time? Should I let it keep running? I'm running Windows 7 and the Task Manager says iTunes is running normally. I have rebooted and started over twice. Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
hmb1 said:
So I too downloaded iTunes 10.5 this morning and my iPad2 has been "stuck" in step 1 (backing up) for 1.5 hrs. It has been a week or so since I last synced and I have 57 apps... is this an unusual amount of time? Should I let it keep running? I'm running Windows 7 and the Task Manager says iTunes is running normally. I have rebooted and started over twice. Any ideas?

Of the progress bar is making any progress, leave it alone. If not abort ( with the slider if cancel sync slider on the iPad if possible) go into iTunes Prefernces, the devices tab, and delete your current backup. Restart but the computer and the iPad, and try again

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

hmb1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. It didn't help directly but it did help identify the culprit program that was blocking the process. All is now updated and my only problem is the beast "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe" that is consulming 50% of my CPU constantly. Do you know if I can suspend it temporarily or permanently? Thanks for your help!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. It didn't help directly but it did help identify the culprit program that was blocking the process. All is now updated and my only problem is the beast "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe" that is consulming 50% of my CPU constantly. Do you know if I can suspend it temporarily or permanently? Thanks for your help!

Take a look at this. Can't claim any responsibility for the results. I became aware of this process only because when I updated to iTunes 10.5 it failed to install correctly. Doesn't seem to have affected my PC or iTunes in any way but your situation sounds different. BTW, as you'll see, you should disable this process only if you don't have an iPhone or iPod that you sync with the computer.

Disable AppleMobileDeviceService.Exe, iTunesHelper.exe and iPodService.exe

Most reactions

Latest posts