What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad mini

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a new iPad mini with twice the memory. The data transfer was from a backup n September. I noticed that my iCloud did a backup the other day. How canI use that backup when I already used the one from September. Would I delete that & start again?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd have to erase all content and settings, and when you set up your device again, you'll be able to use this backup to restore it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand. Was the newer backup was does by the new iPad, or the old.

If the old iPad, and you want to restore from it, then Johanna has already answered the question.

If the new backup was done from the new iPad Mini, then it is using that backup. The old one, from your old iPad, will hang around in your account, without updating, unless/until you delete it.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. Deleted older update from new ipad & installed the one from 1/30-15. My problem now is 4 apps that aren't installing. I keep tapping, they say waiting and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Deleted older update from new ipad & installed the one from 1/30-15. My problem now is 4 apps that aren't installing. I keep tapping, they say waiting and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

When I install a back-up, I sometimes get the same as you - apps don't load onto the iPad. My solution (the only one I've found) is to delete the app from the iPad and then re-download it "fresh" from the AppStore. I don't know why they don't load, but deleting and re-installing has always worked for me.

Maybe try that?

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Restarting the iPad will sometimes restart an app that's failing to download; especially after restoring from an iCloud backup. Make sure the iPad has plenty of battery or is plugged into power, and be patient. It can take a while, especially with larger apps.

hahahaha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the new backup was done from the new iPad Mini, then it is using that backup. The old one, from your old iPad, will hang around in your account, without updating, unless/until you delete it.?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the new backup was done from the new iPad Mini, then it is using that backup. The old one, from your old iPad, will hang around in your account, without updating, unless/until you delete it.?
There are always the last three backups available to restore from in iCloud. The older backups are deleted automatically. If a device isn't backed up to iCloud for more than 180 days, the available backups will be removed as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are always the last three backups available to restore from in iCloud. The older backups are deleted automatically. If a device isn't backed up to iCloud for more than 180 days, the available backups will be removed as well.

When did that happen? I've never seen anything but the most recent backup for each device.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen this when I set up my iPad Air in January last year, as far as I remember, and my iPhone in November. You can also find it on one of the Apple Support sites. I've stumbled upon it when I posted the above, but I didn't save the site.

I always use my iCloud backups for restoring.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's in iCloud Terms & Conditions:
image.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts