What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad Mini

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It arrived today. Opted for the white 64 GB WiFi version. Figure there are so many hotspots out there the 3/4G wasn't
necessary. In the event I need to connect I'll use my Virgin Mobile Hotspot.

Backed up my iPad2 and restored the Mini from the backup. Everything is working perfectly. So far I'm loving it, so
much lighter than my 2.

alainf97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought one too, a 16GB, and I have this problem:

Anyone having problems with the wifi connection speed of the Mini Ipad. I tested the Mini Ipad speed compared to my Ipad 1 and to my Ipad 3 with the QIP Speed test application. While I had values around 16 Mbits/s for the two Ipads, I got only around 0.5 Mbits/s for the Ipad Mini. I tested it many times and it's always the same results. My Ipad mini performs slowlier because of that.

Pasvorto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It arrived today. Opted for the white 64 GB WiFi version. Figure there are so many hotspots out there the 3/4G wasn't
necessary. In the event I need to connect I'll use my Virgin Mobile Hotspot.

Backed up my iPad2 and restored the Mini from the backup. Everything is working perfectly. So far I'm loving it, so
much lighter than my 2.

Thanks for answering a question I have not asked yet. I bought a mini. I was hoping that I could do a backup of my iPad2 and do s restore to the mini. That would save me tons of work.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i bought one too, a 16GB, and I have this problem:

Anyone having problems with the wifi connection speed of the Mini Ipad. I tested the Mini Ipad speed compared to my Ipad 1 and to my Ipad 3 with the QIP Speed test application. While I had values around 16 Mbits/s for the two Ipads, I got only around 0.5 Mbits/s for the Ipad Mini. I tested it many times and it's always the same results. My Ipad mini performs slowlier because of that.

Did you try 'Settings => General => Reset => Reset Network Settings' yet?

ahowe070

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I also did that and no change.

Is it to late to return it for a different one? I was looking up speed tests on youtube for ipad 4 vs mini. The mini is currently the fastest ipad there is. Mine is super fast, no problems, so maybe you just got a bad one?

also OP could you tell me about these hotspots? I only use wifi at home and school, I have yet to use it anywhere else.

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it to late to return it for a different one? I was looking up speed tests on youtube for ipad 4 vs mini. The mini is currently the fastest ipad there is. Mine is super fast, no problems, so maybe you just got a bad one?

also OP could you tell me about these hotspots? I only use wifi at home and school, I have yet to use it anywhere else.

Not sure why this didn't post the first time. Many businesses, i.e. McDonald's, Starbucks, Panera Bread and such offer free WiFi. I also use a Virgin Mobile hot spot that I purchased. No contract, buy whet you need when you need it. Great little gadget.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why this didn't post the first time. Many businesses, i.e. McDonald's, Starbucks, Panera Bread and such offer free WiFi. I also use a Virgin Mobile hot spot that I purchased. No contract, buy whet you need when you need it. Great little gadget.

Tawcat...this is off a little bit from the thread, but have you noticed Virgin Mobile's site not working the last month. It's hit or miss with trying to access my account to add more minutes to my mifi broadband device.

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tawcat...this is off a little bit from the thread, but have you noticed Virgin Mobile's site not working the last month. It's hit or miss with trying to access my account to add more minutes to my mifi broadband device.

Hmmm, I'll have to check.

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Going into a month of owning this mini, I have to admit, I'm loving it. Had a few reservations at first, but using it daily has disspelled any concerns.

I don't find screen size an issue, it's all relative. I really think that if Apple introduced the original iPad this size, all other tablets would never have hit the market. Just sayin!

SDM44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just picked up an iPad Mini the other day for my wife (birthday present). Got her the 8GB white WiFi model.

I have a 32GB iPad 2 (my son mainly uses it) and a 16GB 'New' iPad that my work bought for me, but I'm kind of growing on the small Mini since it's fun to use and very compact compared to the full size. I do notice that the resolution is similar iPad 2, where if I look closely I can see the icons and words a little pixelated compared to my 'New' iPad as that's crystal clear and the icons & text look very seemless on that. But that's not a deal breaker to me, and I'm now considering buying a black one for myself just to have as a fun travel toy.

The only thing I don't really like is that there aren't that many great cases for it. There are a lot of cases out there, but none that I really like much. I've grown on the iPad Smart Case that I have on my 'New' iPad (I just hate that it's hard to stand up because of the backing, and I wish Apple would come out with a Smart Case for the iPad mini, instead of just the Smart Cover (I never really liked them, and I had a couple and always ended up selling them).

Most reactions

Latest posts