What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ipad- (maybe stupid question)

toxicsky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just got a new ipad, I have synced it for the 1st time on my sisters macbook while logged into my itunes account, i did not add any music or apps, Just updates. When i go home and sync it on my computer will i lose any app purchases i make? Ipad is registered to my account.

Do purchases attatch to library or to account is basically my question.

Should i hold off on purchases untill it is synced with my itunes library at home?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, i tried to find the answer somewhere else before posting with no luck.

Thanks in advance ;)

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any app purchases should stay with your iPad as they are linked to your apple ID. However, actually putting apps/music/movies etc onto an i device is dependant on the computer it is synced with but as you haven't added apps from your sisters computer it shouldn't matter either way.
Hope you enjoy your new iPad :).

OP
T

toxicsky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MrLuke said:
Any app purchases should stay with your iPad as they are linked to your apple ID. However, actually putting apps/music/movies etc onto an i device is dependant on the computer it is synced with but as you haven't added apps from your sisters computer it shouldn't matter either way.
Hope you enjoy your new iPad :).

Thanks for the quick reply!
so even know i did the 1st sync and updates on my sisters computer if i purchase the apps with my apple ID from the ipad when i sync with my computer at home i will not lose my apps?

I hope that is what your saying.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can never lose an app you have purchased. Go to app store on your iPad and on the bottom left, I think, there is "Purchased Apps" Something like that!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct, you won't lose apps.

There is one thing, however, that you want to do when you first plug your iPad into your iTunes. Once the iPad is connected, right click on the name of it in the left column and choose "transfer purchases." That way, everything you've put on the iPad with your Apple ID (apps and/or app updates) will be transferred to your iTunes. The iPad will update your iTunes so that a later sync won't remove the apps from your iPad.

But, as Sweet Poison said, you don't really lose your apps if you don't do this, you'll still be able to go to the App Store and re-download your apps. This step, transferring purchases, just saves you a step or two.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
T

toxicsky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay I am going to purchase away! *crosses fingers*

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can/ should I use the same AppleiID I use in my iPhone? We have with AT&T five iPhones and five AppleIDs. I don't know how or why but my wife has configured my iPhone4S in a way that it is using two Apple IDs. The result is sometimes I have to login using my ID and sometimes I have to login using my wife's ID. I'd like to control expenses and minimize the work I need to do. Please tell me what you recommend.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can/ should I use the same AppleiID I use in my iPhone? We have with AT&T five iPhones and five AppleIDs. I don't know how or why but my wife has configured my iPhone4S in a way that it is using two Apple IDs. The result is sometimes I have to login using my ID and sometimes I have to login using my wife's ID. I'd like to control expenses and minimize the work I need to do. Please tell me what you recommend.

If you want to streamline, you'll probably have to eat the costs, use whichever iTunes account has the most paid-for content, and abandon the other account. You can use one iTunes account for multiple devices. I have eight on one account, so I pay once and can use the content on all my and my husband's devices (a mix of iPhones, iPads and iPods).

Apple doesn't allow the merging of iTunes accounts, unfortunately, so you can't move apps and other content from one iTunes account to another.

In your place, I'd restore the device to factory settings and reload only with the account with the most paid-for apps that you want to keep.

Some people use multiple accounts on purpose, but that can be a pain, as you've found out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts