What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid-ish question ......

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
So my iPhone X and iPad 6 live pretty much side by side on a side table in my workspace/ bedroom. Both obviously have Siri. Question: is there any way to verbally enable one or the other alone. Saying “Hey, Siri” activates both, so I use the home button on the iPad. Just a silly thought I had. L

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you never (or almost never) use Siri on the iPad, you can turn it off so only the phone resonds. Or vice versa.

Settings > Siri & Search > Listen for “Hey Siri”.

Otherwise the one that thinks it hears you best is going to respond. I sometimes have dual resonce between my watch an iPad, but the watch almost always wins. Probably becaue it’s right next to my mouth.

I don’t keep my iPad nexts to the bed, so it’s not an issue there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, if you’d like to type to instead of speak to Siri on the iPad, you can go to Settings > General > Accessibilty > Siri and turn on Type to Siri. Instead of listening when you hold down the top button, a text entry field will appear so you can type in your question.

DBA22C29-A40D-46D2-8D51-3AF581B7F5A6.png

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Also, if you’d like to type to instead of speak to Siri on the iPad, you can go to Settings > General > Accessibilty > Siri and turn on Type to Siri. Instead of listening when you hold down the top button, a text entry field will appear so you can type in your question.

View attachment 85140
I don’t directly address either very often, I use the home button (side button on the phone), and ask from there. The question just occurred to me, and I thought it was an interesting thought. I also read that keeping the phone face down ( it usually is) will stop Siri from answering, I need to test that one.The iPad is not on the bedside table overnight, I set it there when I work so I can free up workspace on my desk. When I’m not working it stays on my desk. I genuinely like asking both devices things, and asking them who they belong to is pretty entertaining if I am with people who have never seen it before. Interesting that there was no setting in place to assign a number or something to multiple devices. L

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Having the phone face down worked. I set it that way anyhow because I have a cat that occasionally decides to walk across the thing and I hate buffing out the paw prints . . There are quite a few amusing answers to goofy questions. I received the answer “chocolate” to “What is the meaning of life?”... I’m running with that one. BTW the “Who do you belong to? “trick will absolutely entrance a group of 6 year olds. I’m some sort of superhero now...... L

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Face down does not mute notifications on my iPhone , so I just leave it that way. I still hear the sounds for email and text, without seeing the screen light up (trying to sleep, and all...)It’s a quick dirty way to do that without touching any settings, etc. lazy, but effective. Honestly, even if it did mute the notifications, the iPad is there across the room, on my work desk to tattletale on it. L

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I must have read the face down notification thing in an Android article. I keep an eye on the other side of the fence.

You can always use the Do Not Disturbe feature if you want an uninterupted nap. I get few enough notifications I just take my chances.

Most reactions

Latest posts