What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad car mount!

TomG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That one is made by ProClip USA (proclipusa add a dot com as I am a new poster and can't add images or links) That unit is more expensive than most but it is my understanding it is also crash tested to FMVSS safety standards for rear and front impact to keep your children safe from flying tablets! When you look at the site, the one that is crash tested actually has a locking mechanism and an optional pass through connector.

Just the fact that they built this so well to spend the money on crash testing justifies the higher cost in my mind. When it comes to the safety of my children I won't settle for a cheap Chinese made device when I can get a better quality device.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given my love for finding new ways to use existing stuff, I'm sure I'll find a way to take the smartcover fridge trick and apply it to my car.

Padholdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.padholdr.com
Our Padholdr headrest kit is adjustable to fit iPad 1 and 2 with or without a case.

Padholdr Headrest Kit

headrest-mini.jpg

swatfire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never understood the need or want to mount their I pad into cars. Maybe for passengers but for a driver what's the point

Padholdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.padholdr.com
I've never understood the need or want to mount their I pad into cars. Maybe for passengers but for a driver what's the point

Use navigation that has internet search
Find a nearby restaurant with good reviews
Have your entire music library that is easy to navigate
Free streaming radio
Live traffic with camera views

People always think that having an iPad in your dash only means that you are watching movies while you drive, and that is not the case with anyone that I know that uses the iPad while driving.

The headrest kit is great for kids to use netflix, or watch downloaded movies while on the road however.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Padholdr said:
Use navigation that has internet search
Find a nearby restaurant with good reviews
Have your entire music library that is easy to navigate
Free streaming radio
Live traffic with camera views

People always think that having an iPad in your dash only means that you are watching movies while you drive, and that is not the case with anyone that I know that uses the iPad while driving.

The headrest kit is great for kids to use netflix, or watch downloaded movies while on the road however.

Exactly... And for those of us that travel for work.... The iPad makes it so much easier.

....especially for playing angry birds while driving.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

PAV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That one is made by ProClip USA (proclipusa add a dot com as I am a new poster and can't add images or links) That unit is more expensive than most but it is my understanding it is also crash tested to FMVSS safety standards for rear and front impact to keep your children safe from flying tablets! When you look at the site, the one that is crash tested actually has a locking mechanism and an optional pass through connector.

Just the fact that they built this so well to spend the money on crash testing justifies the higher cost in my mind. When it comes to the safety of my children I won't settle for a cheap Chinese made device when I can get a better quality device.

Where did you see / hear that it was crash tested to FMVSS safety standards? I can;t find any reference to that on their website.

TomG

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Where did you see / hear that it was crash tested to FMVSS safety standards? I can;t find any reference to that on their website.

I don't know that it is listed yet, as they were just finishing with their successful crash testing when I posted this. After reaching their offices this past week to respond here, I was informed they just started getting in the first run of production units that are to this new crash tested design. So I guess you should keep watching their site.

As far as the safety aspect of all these inexpensive tablet holders, just make sure when your looking to buy one, you can actually see it first, make sure there are no sharp 90 degree edges to it. The reason being is head impact... a nice 90 degree edge will make for a nice gash on your kids face if he goes flying in to it (if seat belt was removed I am guessing). What would be more important for me (working for the car industry and involved in accessory product crash test safety) is that you don't want to unit to come flying out of it's mount in the event of a rear impact. I have seen industry test videos for a certain European car maker (WHO has REALLY safe cars, hint) where installed rear seat dual dvd systems would come flying out of their enclosures, with sharp edges and wires flying at the rear passengers faces! That was some scary stuff. So just know if you see a RSE from a car maker, make sure its not just an after market brand installed at the dealership. You want to be certain that it is factory approved and safety tested to FMVSS 108 standards.

So rounded edges, no 90 degree edges, and able to withstand a 35 mph rear impact. IF a Tablet Holder vendor here can't prove it or get their products certified, don't bother buying it, your kid's are worth more than the savings you would get for a cheaper holder. I am buying the ProClip.

Most reactions

Latest posts