What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 user - the most frustrating 7 hours of my life.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jez EMIN said:
Quick question..... The iPad keyboard has a backspace button, but doesn't appear to have any up/down/left/right arrows which would be very useful. Any ideas ??

Kind regards,

Jez

Sent from my iPad using iPF

App arrow keys URL free provides directional keys in addition to others you may find useful.

Cursor placement is what by default the iPad provides. Takes some practice and topic can be found in the manual or online.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Quick question..... The iPad keyboard has a backspace button, but doesn't appear to have any up/down/left/right arrows which would be very useful. Any ideas ??

Well, for heavy typing most bluetooth keyboards will pair with the iPad, and the arrow keys will work normally in most apps.

Some text apps modify the keyboard to include arrow keys, but there is no way to modify the system's default keyboard. (short of jailbreaking)

A little practice with the tapping and holding behavior for text selection and cursor placement may reduce how much you miss the arrow keys. I once spent an hour playing with this in Safari (for non-editable text) and Notes just to get familiar with what I can do. Experience really does make things quicker.

And while nothing is quite as fast as well practiced keyboard arrows and shortcuts, the text field is close to the software keyboard, so it's not as bad as reaching back and forth between a mouse and keyboard on a computer; which is what I usually do, and tends to explain my rather blasé attitude towards the missing arrow keys. ;)

Marli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad isn't for any professional type tasks.. It's a toy for plebs.. There are many other devices that will work better for you in the professional world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Umwat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just return your iPad and get an android tablet.

Good luck.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umwat said:
Just return your iPad and get an android tablet.

Good luck.

Just how does an android tablet answer the question that was asked? I have one and don't find text entry any easier on it without connecting a real keyboard.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marli said:
The iPad isn't for any professional type tasks.. It's a toy for plebs.. There are many other devices that will work better for you in the professional world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wrong.

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today was yet again another extremely frustrating day with my iPad.

I've come to the conclusion that the iPad is a wonderful piece of kit until you need to connect it to your pc and try to keep it in sync with photos, and then the fun begins.....

For example, I created 9 images in Lightroom exported them out to my hard disk as jpgs, iTunes saw that there were 9 images waiting for syncing but would only upload 8 of them. There was one particular image it wouldn't upload. It took a lot of investigation as to why it didn't like this particular jpg and I can't claim to have gotten to the bottom of it.

Every imaging application could open and view this image, but for some reason it wouldn't get uploaded.....

Opened and saved via photoshop fixed it for uploading, but when I reexported out of Lightroom, yet again the problem occurred (iTunes sees 9 images but would only upload 8 to my iPad unless I opened and saved the file in photoshop as a jpg OR reexported from Lightroom as a Tiff instead.......

How strange.......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is strange.

Depending on what you want to do with the photos once they are on the iPad, you may want to consider an alternative photo app like Photo Manager Pro or PhotoSort. If you want to work with them some more in other apps, then Photos is necessary. If all you want is to organize and view them, the alternatives may make your life easier.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you continue using iTunes everyday you will continue to find frustration. I do all I can to minimize using it and I have very little frustration.

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Getting them off the iPad and onto my pc has to be done via Photosmith since I need to work on them in Lightroom. Once I'm done with them in Lightroom , the good ones (which will have been edited for sure in some way) I d want to put back up to my iPad (as a photo album I guess)

Downloading from Photosmith to pc is a separate problem as even that doesn't work completely (in discussions with app writer)

Right now all I need to be comfortable doing with my iPad is getting PDFs , music and photos on and off it. (well actually PDFs and music is pretty much from PC to iPad only)

I did download and install the Dropbox app but that is looking at a hard disk place that isn't designated as my iPad sync area and by that time I'd had enough of all of this.....

I'll take a look at the photo manager app you mention but I feel like I've gotten to the point where I'm desperately buying apps in the hope it'll fix this problem or that.....

And I'm wise enough to bow to the wisdom of others when they say to get off iTunes if possible (I can see iTunes as being a restriction for me at some point in the future).

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just looked at photo manager pro....... Does it all via wifi (same problem/issues I'm having with Photosmith, so this won't do)

That keeps me still with iTunes........

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, actually, the right app will make all the difference in the world. You're dealing with iTunes, which is a monster app.

Have you looked at AirDisk Pro? It is $.99 in the App store.

I'm not sure what probems you're having with Photosmith, but I don't use this app.

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wireless isn't the way I want to go with file transfers, images are way too big and way too many of them.

This is the problem also with Photosmith (I.e.. Wireless transfer = very slow), however the whole point I bought Photosmith is that in the field I can work on my images and the metadata can be imported into Lightroom.

Hence my desire to stick with Photosmith.

The app developers of Photosmith said cable transfer isn't possible due to Apple restriction, and that seems to me to be in order to use iTunes I guess because I'm guessing iTunes is the only package that allows transfer via cable with your pc......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts