What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 returned - Dead pixels on screen.

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Are those dead/stuck pixels? I have never seen any first hand....

No they appear and disappear at random, there is not specific pattern as to where they appear, sometimes they flicker and sometimes they just stay there. Looks like I have a fairly unique issue lol

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No they appear and disappear at random, there is not specific pattern as to where they appear, sometimes they flicker and sometimes they just stay there. Looks like I have a fairly unique issue lol

If your prob comes and goes, your pixels aren't dead. Dead pixels are just that -- dead. They don't come back to life, lol.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your prob comes and goes, your pixels aren't dead. Dead pixels are just that -- dead. They don't come back to life, lol.

Yeah, Just to confirm, my dead pixels appear as black dots on a light screen. They don't do anything other than stay dark when there's a light screen.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Actually, he said those are NOT dead pixels, so I think he agrees with you.

tsalmon88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to return my first iPad due to dead pixels. There weren't very noticeable because the pixels are so small in the first place but since I knew they were there my eye would go there every time. Took it to apple and they replaced it no questions asked.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all of these problems it seems to me there needs to be much better quality control at the factories where these devices are made and put together.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lyndon23 said:
I've not heard anyone else on this forum who has reported any dead pixels on their new ipad, but Macrumors have a 'New iPad problems (dead pixels, overheating, scratched etc)' thread running.

There's definately a 'few' people out there who are in the same boat as me.

I love the new ipad and the screen is fantastic to look at, but I do feel quality control should be picking this stuff up during the manufacturing process.

I'm awaiting my replacement and will report back after I get a chance to check it.

Well, to be fair to Apple (and Foxconn)...they make MILLIONS of these. Even a large number of defective units, say 50,000, is still extremely small in ratio. That's almost like saying a handful out of a few thousand are bad.

But you're right...QC needs to be a bit better because it does cost Apple more money just to deal with defective units.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all of these problems it seems to me there needs to be much better quality control at the factories where these devices are made and put together.

Be careful the forum 'Quality Control' police are watching us and I think I can hear them coming.... ....run away!!! (joking there!)

Just as a little update for you guys; I had my replacement iPad delivered today, at least 2 dead pixels on this new one also :thumbsdown: (very visible to me). To be fair to Apple, they have arranged a 3rd replacement to be shipped as priority - I told Apple I may need to fly over to China and inspect them as they come of the production line until I manage to find a non-defective screen. So the story continues... ...tune in next week folks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Well, to be fair to Apple (and Foxconn)...they make MILLIONS of these. Even a large number of defective units, say 50,000, is still extremely small in ratio. That's almost like saying a handful out of a few thousand are bad.

But you're right...QC needs to be a bit better because it does cost Apple more money just to deal with defective units.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Apple has 100 billion dollars in the bank. Somehow, I think they must do an excellent job at QC but the new screen is probably creating an entirely new dynamic. They are moving serious amounts of these and probably will have a learning curve. I doubt anyone else could pull this off in such volume. I wish we could hear what they are learning about this.

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here but I have the same problem with my iPad 3, got about 3 dead pixels all adjacent to each other in a line. They are on the first line of apps, on the third app IF the home button is on the left hand side. Confusing I know. How would you guys recomend I deal with this?

Thanks!

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here but I have the same problem with my iPad 3, got about 3 dead pixels all adjacent to each other in a line. They are on the first line of apps, on the third app IF the home button is on the left hand side. Confusing I know. How would you guys recomend I deal with this?

Thanks!

Hey Dan, welcome to the new iPad 'Dead Pixel Society'... ... start by asking yourself if you're prepared to accept the defect - if the answer is yes - enjoy your iPad. If you can't accept it, then get that sucker replaced by calling 0800 048 0408 - Apple will be very cool about it - take it from me! Let us know how you decide to play it?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DanBarraclough04 said:

Thanks!

Take it back and get another one. I could deal with a little backlight bleed, but I ain't lookin at no dead pixels! :)

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See all of these replacements will cost Apple extra monies that would not be necessary if these were put together correctly in the first place.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Take it back and get another one. I could deal with a little backlight bleed, but I ain't lookin at no dead pixels! :)

There should not any problems accepted look at the good coin you shelled out for these puppies.

I could understand if these were used but brand new. Like no way.

armandatkinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck to you guys on your replacements. It was very frustrating have to returns 6 iPads in order to get 2 good ones.

Most reactions