What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 returned - Dead pixels on screen.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
69
Reaction score
5
Location
Scotland, UK
lol...ok let's allow this particular point to dissipate now, I questioned the quality control on my one and the 'few' others who have defective screens, I'm not sure why you are having difficulty with this concept. :thumbs:
 
OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
69
Reaction score
5
Location
Scotland, UK
Would it be a case Apple would only offer to repair the unit after your initial 14 day time period has elapsed?

Hi Tristan, no not at all. I think Apple's after care is exceptional, but I have heard of people reporting an issue after using their product for a period of time into the product lifecycle and if a problem is reported Apple may replace with a refurb. I always tend to check any new product over thoroughly as soon as I get it because it's generally easier to get a new replacement as near to purchase date as possible. Also, Dead pixels are a bit of a subjective issue because it's not a deal-breaker for everyone, some guys can live with it, I most definitely won't. Apple generally take really good care of their customers, but what I meant here was it's just less hassle returning something under the 'no-questions-asked' period.
 

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
6,970
Reaction score
446
I'd be surprised if Apple didn't cover dead pixels under warranty, even outside of the return period.

That said, I've had two white dead pixels on my iPad 2 for months and haven't bothered to request an exchange or repair.
 

stil29

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Lyndon23 said:
Hey guys,

Just got a replacement 64gb 4G arranged through Apple.

After setting it all up last night, I noticed at least 3 dead pixels on my screen.

Only noticed them due to being in Sketchbook, where the screen is bright white.

Thought at first they were just dust and tried to wipe it off, no deal, definately pixels.

Admittedly, they are very small and you have to look for them, however, now that I know they're there, my eyes just keep going to them.

I was a bit worried that this would affect my resale value and so took steps to get a replacement.

In fairness, Apple were brilliant and apologetic, replacement organised without any issues.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue with their new retina display?

We'll see what the new replacement looks like when it arrives.

Cheers.

Here is a pic of why my new iPad is getting replaced
 

Attachments

  • image-460039420.jpg
    image-460039420.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 1,116
OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
69
Reaction score
5
Location
Scotland, UK
I'd be surprised if Apple didn't cover dead pixels under warranty, even outside of the return period.

That said, I've had two white dead pixels on my iPad 2 for months and haven't bothered to request an exchange or repair.

Yeah, agree, Apple are pretty cool that way. Although you do hear the odd horror story, albeit I think it's quite rare with Apple.

I've heard different reports about how many dead pixels Apple consider to be a defective unit with LCD products, not sure if anyone can confirm for IOS products, so far I've read different forum posts stating 1, 3 and 5.

Anyone know how many dead pixels are required before Apple officially declare it defective?
 

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
6,970
Reaction score
446
Here is a pic of why my new iPad is getting replaced

Looks like pretty ugly leakage. I'd return for that, too.

The three iPads in my household all have minor light leakage, but I'd have to sit in a blacked-out room with brightness cranked on full to see the leaks. Never going to happen, so didn't bother exchanging.
 

stil29

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Kaykaykay said:
Looks like pretty ugly leakage. I'd return for that, too.

The three iPads in my household all have minor light leakage, but I'd have to sit in a blacked-out room with brightness cranked on full to see the leaks. Never going to happen, so didn't bother exchanging.

That was in a lit room it seriously looks as if it wasn't glued down
 

stil29

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Lyndon23 said:
Yikes... ...yeah good decision to return.

FIRE THAT QUALITY CONTROL GUY!!!...(just kidding)....lol

Yeah lol
 

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Lyndon23 said:
Hi Tristan, no not at all. I think Apple's after care is exceptional, but I have heard of people reporting an issue after using their product for a period of time into the product lifecycle and if a problem is reported Apple may replace with a refurb. I always tend to check any new product over thoroughly as soon as I get it because it's generally easier to get a new replacement as near to purchase date as possible. Also, Dead pixels are a bit of a subjective issue because it's not a deal-breaker for everyone, some guys can live with it, I most definitely won't. Apple generally take really good care of their customers, but what I meant here was it's just less hassle returning something under the 'no-questions-asked' period.

Here's a pic of my lock screen with custom background



image-2506190933.jpg

Look within the time bar and push notification and you'll probably now see it across the whole pic
 

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Tristan Heard said:
Here's a pic of my lock screen with custom background

<img src="http://www.ipadforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11576"/>

Look within the time bar and push notification and you'll probably now see it across the whole pic

It looks like lots of " """ """" it's hard To make out But you can just about see it from my upload
 

Crphillips

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
It just looks like a poor quality picture you've used for the lock screen. Do you get those marks with the standard factory lock screen? It's clearly not a display problem as its shown up on a screen shot.
 

Airtent

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Can use the app: free light to see if you get light leaks. As for the dashes or rain effect, possible that there is an issue with the gpu chip or its overheating due to some hardware issue.
 

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Crphillips said:
It just looks like a poor quality picture you've used for the lock screen. Do you get those marks with the standard factory lock screen? It's clearly not a display problem as its shown up on a screen shot.

It's not the picture that's the issue, yes the pic looks grainy but that's because it was a screen shot from one of my pics on FB, the " " " that you can just make out happen on any screen, sometimes it's worse than other times, I will try and add another pic when it happens again to demonstrate
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top