What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 returned - Dead pixels on screen.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not the picture that's the issue, yes the pic looks grainy but that's because it was a screen shot from one of my pics on FB, the " " " that you can just make out happen on any screen, sometimes it's worse than other times, I will try and add another pic when it happens again to demonstrate

I agree, the issue is clear to see - that's a weird one though, looks liked ghosted characters. If a hardware reset doesn't work on that - I'd send it straight back!

armandatkinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a post/thread on here. I have purchased and returned SIX new iPads in the past 3 days because of dust under the glass and dead/stuck pixels. I (finance & I) finally have two perfect iPads. I am a happy Apple customer, but it I probably used a quarter tank of gas driving to and from the store.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
armandatkinson said:
I have a post/thread on here. I have purchased and returned SIX new iPads in the past 3 days because of dust under the glass and dead/stuck pixels. I (finance & I) finally have two perfect iPads. I am a happy Apple customer, but it I probably used a quarter tank of gas driving to and from the store.

That is just ridiculous....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, the issue is clear to see - that's a weird one though, looks liked ghosted characters. If a hardware reset doesn't work on that - I'd send it straight back!

Yes, I see the little quote marks everywhere. I'd do as you suggest.

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lyndon23 said:

I have a request for Apple to contact me on 21st which I arranged via the web site support, I will see what they suggest and update when a decision or recommendation is made

cukleti

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok..I feel you.

I have #5 in my trunk ready to go back.

1st one..3 dead pixels, and dust under the screen.
2nd one...corner of ipad damaged in the box
3rd one...2 dead pixels
4th one...ipad had 1 stuck pixel, and got very hot
5th one...3 dead pixel, and dirt under the screen

I have this feeling that it has something to do with a high end graphics game. The current one looked flawless (believe me I looked), after playing Modern combat 3 for about 30 min, I noticed the stuck/dead pixels. Don't know if the heat on the so called retina display is causing that.

I have the 64GB 4G...sorry Apple..for that price, it better be perfect

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tristan Heard said:
I have a request for Apple to contact me on 21st which I arranged via the web site support, I will see what they suggest and update when a decision or recommendation is made

I had a call from Apple advising to try a restore as my issue could be software related, did this same problem still, contacting for replacement!!!!!

timdj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I bought my first iPad 3 from the Apple store in Birmingham England on Saturday. Initially thought all was ok until I noticed a dead pixel (or small cluster, who knows) so returned it on Monday morning for a no quibble replacement. However, this 2nd iPad also had the same problem, even slightly worse so went back to the Apple store. This time we checked the 3rd iPad in store and that too had a dead pixel. After speaking to the manager the Apple guy went on to say that no LCD is perfect so there may be some dead pixels in an LCD display so long as it's within tolerance, although to be fair he said that he was happy to keep opening boxes until I was happy. I checked the screens of a couple of in store demo models and they seemed to be fine so asked him to get another. Fortunately the 4th one (which I am writing on now) is flawless, at least for the time being. It does therefore sound like this is fairly prevalent although I imagine most people are not as obsessive as me and may not even notice. Anyway, the Apple customer service was excellent as usual and I am happy - just hope that dead pixels don't start to appear later on.

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok here is a better picture of the issue I have with my iPad 3

Attachments

• image-572511187.jpg
    image-572511187.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 801
L

Lunar

Hi
I bought my first iPad 3 from the Apple store in Birmingham England on Saturday. Initially thought all was ok until I noticed a dead pixel (or small cluster, who knows) so returned it on Monday morning for a no quibble replacement. However, this 2nd iPad also had the same problem, even slightly worse so went back to the Apple store. This time we checked the 3rd iPad in store and that too had a dead pixel. After speaking to the manager the Apple guy went on to say that no LCD is perfect so there may be some dead pixels in an LCD display so long as it's within tolerance, although to be fair he said that he was happy to keep opening boxes until I was happy. I checked the screens of a couple of in store demo models and they seemed to be fine so asked him to get another. Fortunately the 4th one (which I am writing on now) is flawless, at least for the time being. It does therefore sound like this is fairly prevalent although I imagine most people are not as obsessive as me and may not even notice. Anyway, the Apple customer service was excellent as usual and I am happy - just hope that dead pixels don't start to appear later on.

I was in there myself on Tuesday morning..lol I was returning a iPad3 bought when I queued at the Birmingham store on Friday morning when 1st released, first time I've queued for anything and probably the last time. Mine had a spec of dust under the glass, which sort of annoyed me as it was visible especially on white screens.

The one I have now seems okay as far as pixels go, but it does have a small amount of backlight edge bleed in couple of places, but is only visible if brightness is raised above normal and viewed in very dark room. So, in view of the fact it's perfectly okay for normal viewing I am keeping it. However I have decided that if anything else pops up over the next week I shall just return it and get a refund, and I'll stick with my iPad 1 for a while longer.

Hope your replacement turns out to be a good one matey.

Last edited by a moderator:

rjreynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks AQ, not getting off on anything except raw facts. I have a defective screen and a 'Few' others seem to be reporting this same issue. I don't disagree that there will be a fault tolerance ratio, that in the grand scheme of things is probably low. However, I stand by my original comment, that these things should be picked up through quality assurance process during manufacture. I don't remember stipulating any specific facts or fault figures and if you can point me to the thread where I did this, I'd love to see it. All I'm trying to do is raise the issue, as others may NOT have noticed dead pixels yet and it may be prudent to have a close check before your 14 day return period is up - I think that, in those terms my post does have some context, hence my reason for posting it. Thanks.

Having worked near a QA DEPT, I can assure without a shadow of a doubt, that no QA dept could guarantee nor are they expected to do so, on a rollout of a product with quantities of this magnitude, a zero defect rate. Not even an ISO CERTIFIED company can accomplish that feat. Therefore, I would have to agree with the previous poster that the rate of defect is key in determinening whether QA is doing their job or not.

Last edited:

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tristan Heard said:

That would be annoying.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

armandatkinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a weird way I am sort of happy to hear others had issues with pixels and dust under the screen. I was starting to feel like I was being picky.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having worked near a QA DEPT...

LOL... ...I once worked near a Fire Station, but please don't call me if you have a fire OK! I'll just state again, for the record, that Apple QA didn't do a very good QA job on inspecting either my new iPad or the others who have reported screen defects and needed to return their new iPad (I accept the overall level may fall within Apple's stipulated failure tolerance). I don't remember making the statement that Apple should be able to achieve 100% perfection. Quote your QA mantra to all the guys who have had to return/replace their pre-orders due to dead pixels, but it won't mask their disappointment on receiving a defective product, unfortunately! Thanks again for helping to keep this important QA debate alive, I'm sure people are not becoming bored of it at all. :eek:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tristan Heard said:

Are those dead/stuck pixels? I have never seen any first hand....

Most reactions

Latest posts