What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iOS 4.2 Announced

Anfield800

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I missed the event, on holiday.

So there's no updated os for the ipad until Nov?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chances are I did misunderstand something. I must have missed when he gave a clear demonstration of the multitasking. From the quick glances I got of the screen, that's just how it appeared to me.

We'll figure it out when we get it.

It wasn't that clear really as he didn't linger on the actual process of accessing the multitasking bar - probably a bit of apple assumed knowledge. In keeping with apples form though, I'd expect it to work in the same way.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It wasn't that clear really as he didn't linger on the actual process of accessing the multitasking bar - probably a bit of apple assumed knowledge. In keeping with apples form though, I'd expect it to work in the same way.
I agree. I also will say that he wasn't demo'ing a product that is finished and ready for release. I was surprised he even got into 4.2 at all, so was at least happy to hear about it. Don't recall them ever demo'ing an iOS release that comes after another release that isn't out yet.

Michael

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, looks like the multitasking icon will occupy one of the six spots on the dock and the dock will be able to appear when you need to switch and hide when not being used.

I think you might have misunderstood what you saw, the multitasking bar on iOS4 comes up with a double click of the home key. (at least on the iPhone - I expect the iPad to be the same).

Chances are I did misunderstand something. I must have missed when he gave a clear demonstration of the multitasking. From the quick glances I got of the screen, that's just how it appeared to me.

We'll figure it out when we get it.

Go back and watch it again, he did the open pandora, play Jack johnson, reveal multitask bar, go to email, then go to an email link ti safari, then opened up the multitask bar again and scold all the way left and used the playback controls to stop pandora.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go back and watch it again, he did the open pandora, play Jack johnson, reveal multitask bar, go to email, then go to an email link ti safari, then opened up the multitask bar again and scold all the way left and used the playback controls to stop pandora.
And it should be pointed out that that is NOT possible right now without jailbreaking. iPod will play in background but not Pandora. Streaming apps is one of the reasons I want multitasking.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPod will play in background but not Pandora.
This is true
Streaming apps is one of the reasons I want multitasking.
Well... this kinda sorta isn't entirely true. One of my favorite streaming audio sites in PocketTunes. Some of their sources have the option to play in the background through the QuickTime player in Safari... which is about the only reason to keep it around on the iPad.

Most reactions