What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Christmas iPad w/ 4.2.1 preloaded - Should/Can I Jailbreak?

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be getting a new iPad for Christmas this year. Well, at least I'm Ivory Soap sure I am :D Sure seemed to be a lot of "your receipt" emails from Apple I wasn't allowed to look at...

Anyway, I've a iPhone 3G that I jailbroke days after getting, and I was wondering if I should/can jailbreak my iPad.

I've read a LOT of conflicting info on the subject. I know that you can't get a non-tethered jailbreak right now. Not that big a deal, but I'd like the advice of anyone with a jailbroken 4.2.1 firmware iPad.

If the iPad comes loaded with 4.2.1, I won't be able to dpwngrade to 3.2, would I? My blob wouldn't be right.

Thanks,

Hal

Dahabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
many reports lead one to believe that an untethered version of the jailbreak will indeed be out by christmas, so when the time comes when you unwrap your ipad, you will have much more info on it.

OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I am hoping that too. I know the Dev Team is working hard on it, especially MuscleNerd, but (and NOT to knock them!!!!), things have been very quite lately. I'm betting they are busy with the holidays more than with a jailbreak problem,so it may be after the new year.

But my main questions if do I NEED to jailbreak any more? Is it worth it like it was in the 3G iPhone days?

Just curious...

Hal

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it were me, I would use it as is, with iOS 4.2.1, for a while and be sure everything is working properly, ie. WiFi, 3G, no drop out after a while, weak signal, email ok, locking up while charging overnight, suddenly wanting to be restored for no reason, etc. That way you will know it's the iOS and not the JB that's causing the problems. First thing everyone will say if it's JB'd, is that it's the JB that's causing it. When your are satisfied it's ok, then go the the wonderful JB things that are available and by then maybe the untethered JB will be out and well tested by others.

flariccia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so until now...

hi, so until now there's no way to jailbreak ipad fw 4.2.1 UNTETHERED??

thanks

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just did a simple search in google, and it seems that untethered JB is due to be released just for around christmas :) (the oldest entry in the search results was about 2hrs old)

rickantonioli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man, I'm thinking the same thing. My father is in Italy and bought these days a 64Gb without 3G. I don't know if it comes with 3.2.X or 4.X. I hope Dev Team can bring to us jailbreak for 4.2.1 as soon as possible.

Most reactions