What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix

OP
Destroyer

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for me is the convenient of have a dvd for a month if I have to, the crazy hours that I work plus I hate driving once I am back home!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just cancelled my subscription today too. With the price increase it's not gonna be worth it. I'll hit one of the Redboxes near my house instead...

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the lowdown on the new pricing structure... and how some customers can experience a whopping 60% price increase.....

Yeah, I am one of those and I have to tell you, I'm going to pay the extra $. I still can't beat the deal. If I do a movie a night and watch, return, get the next one, repeat - that averages 2 - 3 a week. At a RedBox that is $2 - $3 a week, X 4.3 weeks a month, that is $8.60 - $12.90 a month. With the new rates at Netflix it is $7.99 (plus tax call it an even $9)
Lets go with I only do 1 a week but I keep each one for two days. Netflix still just $9 but with RedBox it is $8. Plus having to get to a Redbox.

Then the streaming. We don't do cable, it is all OTA and streaming. At another $7.99 (call it $9 again) I get unlimited streaming while at home AND on the road on my iPad. Can't beat it. And yes, the arguments about not having tons to stream may be slightly valid but we are finding some great series available that we either never watched before or are from other parts of the world and are great series. Midsomer Murders is one that comes to mind. We love it.

Even with the increase in price (lets say $18 a month), with my options on streaming and getting DVD's I am still paying WAY less than I was with cable and I really don't miss cable. Still worth it in my not so humble opinion.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Here's the lowdown on the new pricing structure... and how some customers can experience a whopping 60% price increase.....

Yeah, I am one of those and I have to tell you, I'm going to pay the extra $. I still can't beat the deal. If I do a movie a night and watch, return, get the next one, repeat - that averages 2 - 3 a week. At a RedBox that is $2 - $3 a week, X 4.3 weeks a month, that is $8.60 - $12.90 a month. With the new rates at Netflix it is $7.99 (plus tax call it an even $9)
Lets go with I only do 1 a week but I keep each one for two days. Netflix still just $9 but with RedBox it is $8. Plus having to get to a Redbox.

Then the streaming. We don't do cable, it is all OTA and streaming. At another $7.99 (call it $9 again) I get unlimited streaming while at home AND on the road on my iPad. Can't beat it. And yes, the arguments about not having tons to stream may be slightly valid but we are finding some great series available that we either never watched before or are from other parts of the world and are great series. Midsomer Murders is one that comes to mind. We love it.

Even with the increase in price (lets say $18 a month), with my options on streaming and getting DVD's I am still paying WAY less than I was with cable and I really don't miss cable. Still worth it in my not so humble opinion.

For those of us who use Netflix less frequently there is nothing good about the price increase. I use to pay $7.99 for a single DVD and unlimited streaming. Now they want to charge me $15.98 for the same service. Sorry, this is corporate greed at it's finest from a company that cares absolutely nothing for the customer. I can certainly afford the increase but that's not the point. If your phone, cable, electric, or gas company increased their pricing by 60% you'd be complaining as well. Besides, apps like Crackle, TWC, and HBO GO make it easy to find similar programming for next to nothing.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of us who use Netflix less frequently there is nothing good about the price increase. I use to pay $7.99 for a single DVD and unlimited streaming. Now they want to charge me $15.98 for the same service. Sorry, this is corporate greed at it's finest from a company that cares absolutely nothing for the customer. I can certainly afford the increase but that's not the point. If your phone, cable, electric, or gas company increased their pricing by 60% you'd be complaining as well. Besides, apps like Crackle, TWC, and HBO GO make it easy to find similar programming for next to nothing.

So they changed their business model. I said I would be one of the ones to pay the extra, not that it was for everyone. Sorry if I hijacked the "Bash Netflix" thread, didn't see it in the thread title.

Crackle may be free (and I use it through Boxee, also free) but the TWC app needs a cable subscription and I don't have cable (but there is that added expense). That has gone up over 200% since I started using cable. Using the HBO Go app isn't "free" either, you still have to pay for full movies or shows (from what I can see, I may be mistaken).

The only reason people throw around 60% is because it makes it seem so bad. It is still only $5.99 more. Not sure how long ago you subscribed but it has been $9.99 a month for unlimited streaming and 1 DVD at a time for quite a while.

So would I be mad if those other things went up 60%? Lets see - that would mean my electric would go up $180, my phone would go up $21 (which would hurt but not be horrible) and my auto gas has gone up 100% since Jan of 09 and over 600% since I started driving, but I still fill up every week. Yes I would be mad if those services went up by 60%, but if they went up $5.99 a month it wouldn't be that much AND a much smaller percentage. On my $300 electric bill it would be less than 2% and on my $35 phone bill it would be 17%. So yeah, if those bills went up 60% I would be mad, if they went up $5.99 not nearly as mad.

I can understand if you are paying $60 - $80 a month for cable (I was over $90 WITHOUT any of the movie channels) then this is another increase on top of all the other increases in your entertainment choices. And I can understand if you can't afford it (NOT SAYING YOU CAN'T, just a general statement). But it really is a smart business decision seeing as more and more people are dropping cable and satellite (as evidenced by recent news stories) which means more people are going to switch to streaming. The free market will determine if the buying public will support the price.

And stop throwing around "corporate greed" like it's so bad. Corporate greed has given us some of the best innovations and advancements. If it wasn't for corporate greed we wouldn't have the iPad. It will remain to be seen if Netflix uses the increase (or corporate greed as you say) to make the product better. If they don't add some value then their plan will backfire and they will lose even more revenue as consumers leave. Hmmm, free market at its best. Go figure.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

So they changed their business model. I said I would be one of the ones to pay the extra, not that it was for everyone. Sorry if I hijacked the "Bash Netflix" thread, didn't see it in the thread title.

Crackle may be free (and I use it through Boxee, also free) but the TWC app needs a cable subscription and I don't have cable (but there is that added expense). That has gone up over 200% since I started using cable. Using the HBO Go app isn't "free" either, you still have to pay for full movies or shows (from what I can see, I may be mistaken).

The only reason people throw around 60% is because it makes it seem so bad. It is still only $5.99 more. Not sure how long ago you subscribed but it has been $9.99 a month for unlimited streaming and 1 DVD at a time for quite a while.

So would I be mad if those other things went up 60%? Lets see - that would mean my electric would go up $180, my phone would go up $21 (which would hurt but not be horrible) and my auto gas has gone up 100% since Jan of 09 and over 600% since I started driving, but I still fill up every week. Yes I would be mad if those services went up by 60%, but if they went up $5.99 a month it wouldn't be that much AND a much smaller percentage. On my $300 electric bill it would be less than 2% and on my $35 phone bill it would be 17%. So yeah, if those bills went up 60% I would be mad, if they went up $5.99 not nearly as mad.

I can understand if you are paying $60 - $80 a month for cable (I was over $90 WITHOUT any of the movie channels) then this is another increase on top of all the other increases in your entertainment choices. And I can understand if you can't afford it (NOT SAYING YOU CAN'T, just a general statement). But it really is a smart business decision seeing as more and more people are dropping cable and satellite (as evidenced by recent news stories) which means more people are going to switch to streaming. The free market will determine if the buying public will support the price.

And stop throwing around "corporate greed" like it's so bad. Corporate greed has given us some of the best innovations and advancements. If it wasn't for corporate greed we wouldn't have the iPad. It will remain to be seen if Netflix uses the increase (or corporate greed as you say) to make the product better. If they don't add some value then their plan will backfire and they will lose even more revenue as consumers leave. Hmmm, free market at its best. Go figure.

Corporate greed in and of itself does not give us innovations and advancements. People with ideas do. The real problem with Netflix is that the price increase has no added benefit to the consumer. I am not receiving better/bigger/cooler services just the same service I had yesterday for over twice the price. And yes, everything increases in price over time. But if your fuel price doubled today you'd certainly moan about it. Simply put you can argue all you want about the percieved "costs" of goods and service but for me I flat out refuse to give any more of my money to Netflix. Done... and done.

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well im sticking with netflix. i use it everywhere. on my ipad, iphone, wii, xbox 360 and pcs

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am glad I saw this thread, they never told us they were changing the plan, I saw this thread and decided to sign in to check our account, and yep starting Sep 1st the price jumps from $7.99 to $15.98, so screw that we can just keep the streamimg and start getting the dvds through redbox, we dont get that many dvds a month anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts