What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to charge iPad 1 while it is connected to PC

zzz13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my iPad 1 set up as an external display for my PC, but it does not charge because my USB ports do not put off enough power. I've tried every port on my PC and my port replicator with no success. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to charge it while it is connected to my computer. I searched for split cables (one male to iPad and 2 male USBs) with no success. I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK - first, does the 2010 model iPad 1 charge w/ a standard cable hooked to AC power? Second, if the device is still chargeable, then why not use an AC power adapter w/ the appropriate 30 pin adapter? Dave :

OP
zzz13

zzz13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does charge with AC power. Since it is so old I only use it as an external display, but I constantly have to turn it off to charge it back up (because it is so old it does not hold a charge at all)- I was wondering if there is a way to have it hooked up so that it is always charging and connected to my pc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could probably get it to work with a powered USB hub. Many of them have at least one 2A USB port used to power or charge periferials. Read the specs before buying.

However, there is no guarantee. While a USB hub should be transparent to the computer, slight data delays or inconsistent standard support can make some combinations of hub, computer, and and iPad unreliable. The only way to find out is try, or find someone with a setup that is known to work.

Or buy from a store that has a no questions asked return policy. That would give you a few days to decide if the setup works.

OP
zzz13

zzz13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I bought a standard female to male y cable with male to male cables going to the pc and AC adapter, but I am not sure it will work. I will try the powered USB hub. Thank you!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For an iPad device of that age, the battery may be the issue despite recharging on AC - I would suggest that you download Coconut Battery - open the app on your computer w/ the iPad cabled - then click the iOS Device tab (see the screen capture from the link) - this will provide useful information on the charge cycles and the 'battery health) - in general, an iPad battery after 500 or more 'complete cycles' should maintain about 80% of its original capacity - if your load cycle is a lot more and if your 'battery health' is LOW, then that may be the issue - you're likely dealing w/ an antique device and should probably consider obtaining a newer model. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.50.45 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you. I bought a standard female to male y cable with male to male cables going to the pc and AC adapter, but I am not sure it will work. I will try the powered USB hub. Thank you!

You're welcome. Please let us know how things work out.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For an iPad device of that age, the battery may be the issue despite recharging on AC - I would suggest that you download Coconut Battery - open the app on your computer w/ the iPad cabled - then click the iOS Device tab (see the screen capture from the link) - this will provide useful information on the charge cycles and the 'battery health) - in general, an iPad battery after 500 or more 'complete cycles' should maintain about 80% of its original capacity - if your load cycle is a lot more and if your 'battery health' is LOW, then that may be the issue - you're likely dealing w/ an antique device and should probably consider obtaining a newer model. Dave :)
View attachment 75606

I particularly like the "antique" description!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I particularly like the "antique" description!

Apple classifies it's older hardware as Vintage or Obsolete Products - see quote below (Source) - the original iPad is now listed there as 'Vintage' in the USA & Turkey, and 'Obsolete' in the rest of the world. I thought that 'Antique' was a kinder description - ;) Dave

Vintage and obsolete products
Owners of iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac products may obtain service and parts from Apple or Apple service providers for 5 years after the product is no longer manufactured—or longer where required by law. Apple has discontinued support for certain technologically obsolete and vintage products.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, and no. Any reasonably moder computer, yes. However there were quite a few problems with the iPad 1 when trying to charge with the first generation of USB equiped computers. I remember this clearly. Some would charge, abet slowley, when the iPad was off, but still lose charge if the iPad was active. Some simply did not work.

This isn't a matter of reading the specs, just remembering the many people who visited the forum unable to charge their iPad 1's on thier then, already oldish, computers.

Anyway, if the iPad's battery is already iffish, and the computer old enough not to supply enough current to run the iPad will on, the powered USB hub is all I can think of that might work; short of replacing the battery; which is probalby more expensive than it's worth.

Note: There was an app that worked with some Windows computers (depending on what USB controler they had) that would boost USB output enough to charge an iPad 1. I don't remember the name of that app.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In previous days, I owned a number of external devices (CD/DVD drives, bigger old HDs, etc) that required a 'dual USB power cable', like the one shown below - don't believe that I've ever seen a double USB to a single 30-pin iPad dock adapter (like a Y-Connector) that would provide more charging power to the iPad; of course, those were the days of earlier USB ports supplying more feeble power and external devices requiring more juice to work. Dave :)
UCABL008800_02_L.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts