What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does an iPad take to charge?

_Agility_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was given a used iPad for Chrisrmas. The battery gauge read 100%.
It was accompanied by a cable (USB) and an adapter for the power outlet both wrapped up as if completely new.
When I plugged the cable into my iPad and the USB port of a computer the battery gauge continued to fall, as described in the (online) manual. I then connected it to a socket of my UPS for six hours and the charge went from 49 to 50%, lastly I connected it to a normal socket for 48 hours and now it reads 97%.
How do I identify an original power cable and adapter?
How does the iPad indicate charging status? The battery symbol does not change on my iPad when plugged in.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum - I'll just get you started because some of the description given is confusing and contradictory. You need to first tell us which iPad you own - see the attached table (of current models) - just for a start, the iPad 2 has the longer 30-pin dock adapter while the others have the lightning adapter; the iPad Minis are much smaller (see & compare the dimensions); and finally the newest iPad Air is thinner than the iPad 2 - also, is this a new or used iPad and if the latter, do you know about any damage to the device?

What iOS is on the iPad - go into Settings > General > About and look @ the version; current one is 7.0.4.

As to the charger, there should be an indication as the the power output (this is in Watts which is Amps x Voltage) - the older iPads used a 10 W charger (5 V x 2 A) and newer ones slightly more amperage - tell us what your charger states? Finally, don't try to charge an iPad via a USB port of a computer, these are underpowered except for some of the newer 3.x standards. Let me stop there so you can answer the questions posed before proceeding - Dave

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 5.26.24 PM.png

polymorphism40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard, and I don't know if it's true or not, but if you set your iPad to airplane mode it charges a little bit faster. Can anyone confirm this?

JasmineCharlotte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard, and I don't know if it's true or not, but if you set your iPad to airplane mode it charges a little bit faster. Can anyone confirm this?

It does :) as your phone is completely inactive. Its not the best solution for those who needs there phones or ipads on constantly.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

It does :) as your phone is completely inactive. Its not the best solution for those who needs there phones or ipads on constantly.

Please don't confuse the issue here - Airplane Mode will simply turn off your radios - yes will save a little charging but not that important to the OP's original question; and as to a phone - confused, i.e. an iPad has no phone. Let's get back to the OP and see how he/she responds. Dave :)

P.S. seems that the emoticons have been fixed - happy now! :D

omit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.om-itsolutions.com
Hi, If you are charging it with a computer

A computer doesn't provide much charge, so it's going to take quite a while. You will must plugin the charge with switchboard only,then it will take less time than computer

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, If you are charging it with a computer

A computer doesn't provide much charge, so it's going to take quite a while. You will must plugin the charge with switchboard only,then it will take less time than computer

Computers do not provide enough power to keep the rig functional as well as charging an iPad. If you were to be able to charge an iPad on a computer, it'll take a full day to charge to charge the iPad to 100%, then an extra bit of overcharge to completely seal off the battery's "reservoir" at the end.

Most reactions