What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help With Microphone

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello,

Last month, I bought an iPad Air. Two weeks ago I had to replace it because the microphone broke. I'm now having the same problem with this one. As with the one before, the sound on any recording I make using the microphone is muffled. And Siri is screwing up big time. And for those of you who I know are going to ask, the answer is yes... I speak clearly into the microphone and I'm also close to it. So that's not the problem.

Is anyone else having this problem? And if so, what did you do about it?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been a while since I saw this one, so here goes. Believe me, I'm not joking. This fix works.

Break out the vacuum cleaner. Use the crevice tool and, making as tight a seal as you are able, suck on that microphone hole for about 5 minutes. Give it a reboot and you should be good to go.

Believe it or not, this has worked in the past. I originally stole this advice from Apple's own forums, and it has worked for several people.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello KevinJS,

I want to thank you for your advice on this issue. I have to tell you that I didn't actually use your advice because I couldn't find a vacuum cleaner with a small enough attachment.

However, your idea inspired me to solve the problem from a different angle. I used a can of compressed air to blow off the dust. After that, it worked like a charm.

A word of warning. Read the warning label on the can. Don't shake the can before using it. Don't hold it upside down while using it. These will make it cold, and at that point the air will turn into a liquid. But used properly, this is another solution to the problem.

Again, thanks for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A small bit of extra caution about using compressed air.

Compressed air may work, or it may make the problem worse. You could just as easily jam whatever is block the microphone in as you could dislodge it. Especially when working with openings as small as the microphone's.

And then there are the other cautions that you already mentioned.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. That's why I always mention the vacuum cleaner solution. I would not recommend blowing compressed air into an electronic device, for all the reasons stated above.

Glad you got it working again, though.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You both make good points. It should be noted that when I was using the compressed air I would only use it in small small amounts. So far it seems to have worked though. Anyway it's just an option. But thanks for your advice and warnings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You both make good points. It should be noted that when I was using the compressed air I would only use it in small small amounts. So far it seems to have worked though. Anyway it's just an option. But thanks for your advice and warnings.

No problem.

The advice wasn't really as much for you as it was for anyone else who wanders into the thread. So they will know the risks, and use a vacuum instead, if they have a choice. You obviously knew the risks. They might not.

It worked, and that is great. I'm glad your microphone is working again. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts