What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My review: biggest issue: book reading aps are not up to par.

leeaustralia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Care to share how do you cite an e-book in a paper? I'm curious.

Hi I basically just registered here to try and help with your question as I too was wondering the exact same thing!

I live in Australia and I am seriously considering purchasing the ipad to assist me with external university studies at Murdock University here in Australia.

I have been researching the capabilities of the ipad which led me here to this forum - to see what the actual users think and more importantly what students think.

You brought up a very good point about referencing/citing e-books. It is an important issue for any student! - a shame that professor did not get back to you as he of all people should know!!!

Anyway I found out for myself. At Murdock University they have a page in their website dedicated to explaining all the different styles of citing references and under each style they tell you how to cite references/ bibliographies from e- books.

I am in Australia they might do things differently but i would imagine most Universities and colleges should take into account referencing e- books etc.

i will add some links for you to check out but this forum will only allow me to post links after I have made 3 posts :)

leeaustralia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
......continued..
on the website, When you click on each referencing style for example chicago or vancouver or ieee etc footnotes etc it takes to to that page and includes a section on how they want you to cite electronic references and e -books etc.

for example I clicked on vancouver style and then under the Electronic Documents section it has this note

Note: When you cite an electronic source try to describe it in the same way you would describe a similar printed publication. If possible, give sufficient information for your readers to retrieve the source themselves.
If only the first page number is given, a plus sign indicates following pages, eg. 26+. If page numbers are not given, use paragraph or other section numbers if you need to be specific.
An electronic source may not always contain clear author or publisher details.
The access information will usually be just the URL of the source. As well as a publication/revision date (if there is one), the date cited is included since an electronic source may change between the time you cite it and the time it is accessed by a reader.

... then further down it gives examples of how to reference e- books, by reading this it sems to me that the actual page number is not important but getting the edition right is and date? (but not sure as I am not a student yet and have not learnt about bibloigraphy and how to cite references.)

I hope that this helps in some way! :)

Last edited:

leeaustralia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.......here is an example of what they want using the Vancouver style of citing references from an e -book

E-Books

Standard format
#. Author A, Author B. Title of e-book [format]. Place: Publisher; Date of original publication [cited year abbreviated month day]. Available from : Source. URL.

1. van Belle G, Fisher LD, Heagerty PJ, Lumley TS. Biostatistics: a methodology for the health sciences [e-book]. 2nd ed. Somerset (NJ): Wiley InterScience; 2003 [cited 2005 Jun 30]. Available from: Wiley InterScience electronic collection.

2. Sommers-Flanagan J, Sommers-Flanagan R. Clinical interviewing [e-book]. 3rd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2003 [cited 2005 Jun 30]. Available from: NetLibrary.

I am sure your colleges and uni should have similar pages in their websites explaining how to cite refernces fo re -books

also, thanks for your review because it prompted to look into this!:D

Last edited:

leeaustralia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.......well this is my 3rd post so here is that link I could have added to the first one! ;)

How to Cite References

It is pretty cool there is a section to explain which style to use etc and it seems there are international standards so we all do it pretty much the same way!

Last edited:
OP
R

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a professor too, and I know about those citation formats. Some of them are for online e-books, which can be easily checked or searched with a browser. You usually use this when you have no other choice.

You can't browse an iPad or kindle version in the same way, where the page number can vary not only according to the zoom level but also according to the chosen portrait/landscape orientation(which is an absurd).

My biggest gripe is again the lack of consistent page numbers. You can't distribute reading assignments easily, when some have printed books, some Kindles and other iPads. Once I had to take home a kindle from this graduate student so that I could check his interpretation over multiple passages. Didn't like the experience. How many readers I''ll have to take home next time?

The solution I pointed above would be easier: just indicate where there's a page break in the text, no matter zoom level or device orientation. You could have "fake" page numbers in the bottom, but on the sides, we would have the "original" page number for the edition where the e-book was based upon.

I'm not saying you can't use e-books, but use common sense. Don't use it for graduate level assignments, or any work where you think you'll be citing A LOT from. Don't use it when you disagree with the canonical interpretation of that work. Casual references are fine, sometimes you're just showing off your research anyway. :)

Stick to the canonical interpretation, and avoid citing controversial passages - of course people will think: "did the author REALLY said this? huh. Interesting, who knew? Where was that again? Let me check my copy. Oh, I can't, I don't have the exact page..." IMHO, it won't make you look serious, even if you follow all the above guidelines.

But thanks for posting all this, I'm sure it will help a lot.

Last edited:

leeaustralia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for further explanation - I had obviously missed the point you were trying to make!

When it comes to comes to writing essays, I will tale your advice into consideration and limit my reliance on e -books for reference material. :)

Last edited:

Nova69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The website "Son of Citation Machine" can help you out with any citation problem you have. Simply enter the type of citation you need, fill in the blanks that appear, and it will present you with a properly formatted citation that you can cut and paste into your paper. It's a real boon if you write a lot of papers.

Son of Citation Machine

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Kindle reader now thinks I have three iPads! :)
I know this is an old question and hopefully you have figured it out by now, but just in case...

Go to your account at Amazon and select Manage Your Kindle. Scroll down a bit and you will see a list of all your registered devices. This is where you can de-register the ones you are no longer using.

kindle.jpg

OP
R

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gizmodo today (link):

The upcoming update for last year's Kindle will add real page numbers, plus public notes and newspaper/magazine layout tweaks. Real page numbers means you can actually share where you're at in a book (also good for class assignments). [Kindle]

From Amazon:

Real Page Numbers – Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. Rather than add page numbers that don’t correspond to print books, which is how page numbers have been added to e-books in the past, we’re adding real page numbers that correspond directly to a book’s print edition. We’ve already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free “Buy Once, Read Everywhere” Kindle apps in the coming months.

Kudos to Amazon. I'm going to buy a Kindle, now, definitely.

EXACTLY what I was pointing at in my review. Your turn, Apple!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gizmodo today (link):

The upcoming update for last year's Kindle will add real page numbers, plus public notes and newspaper/magazine layout tweaks. Real page numbers means you can actually share where you're at in a book (also good for class assignments). [Kindle]
From Amazon:

Real Page Numbers – Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. Rather than add page numbers that don’t correspond to print books, which is how page numbers have been added to e-books in the past, we’re adding real page numbers that correspond directly to a book’s print edition. We’ve already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free “Buy Once, Read Everywhere†Kindle apps in the coming months.
Kudos to Amazon. I'm going to buy a Kindle, now, definitely.

EXACTLY what I was pointing at in my review. Your turn, Apple!

Thanks for the update. Perhaps I can finally start using electronic versions for my book club reading now.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another professor (emeritus, that is) checking in!

My biggest complaint about ebooks is in the technical area. Google, or whomever, is extremely sloppy in scanning in technical books: the math equations often show up as gobbledygook and figures are missing. I've even seen fingers and large portions of hands as shadows where the person scanning the book was too careless.

That said, I love reading ebook fiction on both my iPad and my Nook.

maniakul100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. This helped me to know about what i have to expect about my new iPad

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regards to the textbook issue:

I imagine that one could search for a figure or chapter number, a title would also work. We're used to page numbers, but that's because formatted pages are ubiquitous. Figure 37.5 in a textbook will still be figure 37.5 in an ebook. Right? :)

These would have been SO great when I was in massage school!

Most reactions

Latest posts