What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MY COMPUTER does NOT recognize my iPad 4, although iTunes does recognize it.

koolbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My PC recognized my iPad originally, but when I changed the name of my iPad, it no longer recognized it. I changed the name back to it's original name, and other names, to no avail. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, and uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, but nothing works to allow my PC to once again recognize my iPad as a device. iTunes does, and always has, recognized the iPad.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My PC recognized my iPad originally, but when I changed the name of my iPad, it no longer recognized it. I changed the name back to it's original name, and other names, to no avail. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, and uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, but nothing works to allow my PC to once again recognize my iPad as a device. iTunes does, and always has, recognized the iPad.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

It's your PC. Back up your stuff and reinstall windows

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean - your computer does not recognize the iPad? Do you mean that you can't access your photos via Windows Explorer? I'm just a bit confused because if iTunes "sees" the iPad, what on the computer is not "seeing" it...

Marilyn

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you mean - your computer does not recognize the iPad? Do you mean that you can't access your photos via Windows Explorer? I'm just a bit confused because if iTunes "sees" the iPad, what on the computer is not "seeing" it...

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn
It's a corrupt registry file in windows. Just use regedit hunt down the corrupt hkey local machine entry and rename or delete
and have windows create a new file. OR The user can backup and restore the PC or backup and restore the ipad or do both.
Incidentally where did you get photos? The OP was commenting on windows not recognizing their ipad.

Mike

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn
It's a corrupt registry file in windows. Just use regedit hunt down the corrupt hkey local machine entry and rename or delete
and have windows create a new file. OR The user can backup and restore the PC or backup and restore the ipad or do both.
Incidentally where did you get photos? The OP was commenting on windows not recognizing their ipad.

Mike

I got photos because, with a stock iPad, the only thing you can see, normally, on the iPad is the DCIM folder that contains photos and videos. I am trying to narrow down what the OP is trying to do with his iPad2 on the PC. Accessing the photos folder is the only thing I can think of...

Marilyn

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got photos because, with a stock iPad, the only thing you can see, normally, on the iPad is the DCIM folder that contains photos and videos. I am trying to narrow down what the OP is trying to do with his iPad2 on the PC. Accessing the photos folder is the only thing I can think of...

Marilyn

The OP complained that his PC couldn't recognize his ipad, via itunes. I suspect he's trying to sync his ipad w/itunes & his PC.
Mike

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I'm beginning to suspect the originator of this thread is not coming back (given it was in May that he posted this) - his post specifically states that "iTunes does, and always has, recognized the iPad" (and his thread title says "...iTunes does recognize it").

There are a few things that can be tried, but it depends on if the computer sees the DCIM folder (and it appears empty) or not (no folder at all). Again, just trying to get more details...

Marilyn

OP
K

koolbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@batty505. Thanks for the suggestion, however I don't believe it is my PC, and reinstalling windows would be overkill. I feel there is a simple answer, but it eludes me.

OP
K

koolbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, That is exactly it, I can't access my photos via Windows Explorer because the iPad4 is no longer listed with my computers. My C: drive is there, my DVD drives are listed, as are my USB drives. But the iPad4, although once listed there as a device, can no longer be seen, therefore I cannot easily delete any photos from my albums. Thankl you!@

OP
K

koolbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330, I can NOT see the DCIM folder, because I can NOT see my iPad listed under Computer in Windows explorer. There is no sign of the iPad whatsoever on my PC. However, as I previously stated, it is seen by iTunes, and I have no issues with the interaction between iTunes and my iPad. And I have no other issues with my PC, other the iPad issue. I do not have good communication skils, so I hope I have properly described my problem. It's not the end of my world, but it IS inconvenient. Thank you for your time.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn, That is exactly it, I can't access my photos via Windows Explorer because the iPad4 is no longer listed with my computers. My C: drive is there, my DVD drives are listed, as are my USB drives. But the iPad4, although once listed there as a device, can no longer be seen, therefore I cannot easily delete any photos from my albums. Thankl you!@

Hi Koolbrew.

I run windows XP. It can be a little moody on occasion by not recognising a device. What I have found is that I unplug the device, shut down and reboot my PC. This sorts things.

My biggest worry had been the apparent loss of USB ports. I have 12 ports and 7 are not now recognised. Being a lazy sort, I plug devices into the ports which are working, and forget about the dud ports. Have you tried connecting your iPad via different ports?

At times, I have tried looking at the connections map via control panel just to check whether I can find and liven unrecognised equipment which I have connected. This can work.

My other thought was whether you need to reinstall iTunes on your PC.

I'm sure you will be helped by far more experienced and wiser heads than mine.

I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Cheers

Richard

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here's one thing that has worked for others:

With the iPad connected, open the [PC's] Device Manager (if you don't know where it is on your PC - just run a search for it through the Start menu). Find the iPad in the list (mine was under "Portable Devices"). Right click on that line and select "Uninstall."

Disconnect the iPad and wait a bit. Then, re-connect the iPad and wait for the automatic install to start/run. Hopefully, once it's done installing, then your PC should be able to "see" it when you look for it via Windows Explorer.

There's more we can try (to include re-installing iTunes, as Richard suggested). but, hopefully, this easier solution will do it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@batty505. Thanks for the suggestion, however I don't believe it is my PC, and reinstalling windows would be overkill. I feel there is a simple answer, but it eludes me.

Gotcha.
I didn't understand from your original post what your desired end states are.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this thread to our help section as the discussion is not about connecting external devices like hard drives and speakers etc but about a typical iTunes and PC problem. Thank you

Most reactions

Latest posts