What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music transfer

rulesip28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to know how to transfer music from my iPad 2 to my MAC computer. Any tips?Music transfer

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) You might need to provide some additional information before specific advise can be given: 1) Was the music on the iPad 2 purchased from iTunes, elsewhere (e.g. Amazon), or ripped from your CDs, and/or somewhere else? and 2) Is this music synced to another computer that is 'authorized' to handle your iPad 2 for storing this content in iTunes?

But, just for starters, please carefully read this Apple Support Article and the LINKS - you could easily 'lose' the music. You might also want to google 'music transfer from ipad to computer' which will provide plenty of hits, both 'free' suggestions and also paid 3rd party options. Finally, there are 'cloud' based transfer/storage options, so you might want to review Apple's iCloud & iTunes Match for further considerations. Good luck and please post back the information requested and further questions - Dave

OP
R

rulesip28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Dave, for the advice. The music was downloaded from a music publisher on to a computer and then emailed to my iPad (with some difficulty because of the size of the files). Fortunately, I have now found the music on my own desktop, as email attachments accompanied in every case by a "delivery failure" report! The ways of our Lord the mailserver are sometimes strange...........Anyway, I'm also going to try installing iTunes Match, altho' some of the necessary operations described don't seem possible to be carried out on my iPad2 (eg "Go to this or that heading, which doesn't exist) - Leslie

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Leslie - thanks for the explanation; out of the ordinary, I must say - :) Do you know what audio format is being used for the files sent (e.g. WAV, MP3, AAC, FLAC - there are others); just asking since that might be an issue in transferring & using (i.e. hearing) the music. Does the music 'play' on the iPad (quoted below are the supported audio formats for the device)? Not sure 'why' they could not be saved on your computer? Just one final comment about iTunes Match - this is an Apple Cloud-based service and is really meant to 'upload' (or copy the same tracks on their servers) the music in your iTunes library (whether bought from iTunes, ripped from CDs, or acquired in another way) - if you're only wanting to resolve this one issue w/ these sent files, then you might re-consdier the need for this paid service - good luck and keep ups up to date - Dave

Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

Most reactions